Teacher Dress Codes: yes or no?

Teacher Dress Codes: yes or no?

• Yes and explain

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • No and explain

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters
A friend is going to work in a conservative religious school: no elbows or collarbones visible.

I have always thought teachers' dress requirements should generally meet those of the students.

Teachers should be models of appropriate dress and behavior, as well as instructors.

The poll is easy: yes or no. Let's not hear any snowflake whining. Give us your opinion in a sensible manner.

I vote a resounding yes.

Me too, and your reasons are valid in my opinion.

No, because "dress code" means uniformity, and uniformity sucks. It's a strongarm way to bury individuality, creativity, personal expression and it drops the hammer of authoritarianism.

What a giant load of horseshit. What is this all-important "creativity" being prevented by a dress code for teachers (something that most working adults have, FYI. Even employers who allow casual dress still have guidelines to keep it professional)? Exactly WHAT do you think these people are going to wear to work if they're not "buried under uniformity and authoritarianism", or whatever it was you thought was happening?

Yup, the above are a real attack on "individuality, creativity, personal expression and it drops the hammer of authoritarianism."

Live through it as a child and then get back to me. :eusa_hand:

Because you think you're the only one here "traumatized" by a dress code? Honey, when I was in school, they'd send you home for wearing a tank top and open-toed shoes. Amazingly enough, we soldiered on.

A friend is going to work in a conservative religious school: no elbows or collarbones visible.

I have always thought teachers' dress requirements should generally meet those of the students.

Teachers should be models of appropriate dress and behavior, as well as instructors.

The poll is easy: yes or no. Let's not hear any snowflake whining. Give us your opinion in a sensible manner.

I vote a resounding yes.
Teachers should dress like authority figures. No one is going to respect them if they dress like the kids

Holy shit, I actually agree with something you said. Someone alert the Vatican! It's a MIRACLE!

pogo just wants to stick it to "the man", particularly when he is "the man"

Female teachers that wear dresses up to their crotch, boobs hanging out with low cut tops, skin tight clothes....that is unprofessional. Yes, they need a dress code. Suits? No. Too hot. Too uncomfortable. Nothing wrong with nice golf-like shirts (polo) and khaki's for summer...nice mens sweaters for winter. For ladies...a longish skirt, blouse or sweater, decent shoes (NO HEELS).

And all students should have some sort of uniformity of color and style, not necessarily UNIforms.

I don't even care if the kids have uniformity of color and style, but why is it so problematic these days to comprehend that certain things are not appropriate in certain places? It isn't like those kids aren't going to encounter this in the rest of their lives. Most employers have very specific ideas about what they do and do not want you to wear to work, even if they don't have an actual uniform required for the job. I've never in my life worked somewhere that didn't have a dress code of some sort, even if it was just "don't wear shoes that don't fasten behind the heel, because of OSHA regulations".

Teachers should wear black, modest clothing. Coats and ties for men, pantsuits or skirts for women.

Students should wear sweatsuits for the duration K-12, with the color indicating grade level, as in martial arts.

Sweatsuits are cheap, any family can afford them.

Dude, you obviously have not been to Arizona in the 13 months of the year that it is summer.

Those schools which have uniforms typically go with basic Docker-style slacks or shorts in khaki or navy and polo-style shirts in a selection of colors. Every discount store in the state carries those basic components at really cheap prices. Hell, I stock up on them for my kid, and he's homeschooled.

No, because "dress code" means uniformity, and uniformity sucks. It's a strongarm way to bury individuality, creativity, personal expression and it drops the hammer of authoritarianism.

Creative people find a way to display their individuality even with a uniform

But you must not be very creative

There is nothing wring with school uniforms if kids want to put on a fashion show they can do it after school

It's got zero to do with "fashion" or "looks" in any way.
It has to do with mind control and authoritarianism. It could be a "required" dress code, a "required" speech code, a "requred" religion, a "requred" cultural anything. When you're dictating robot behaviour, in whatever way, you're suppressing people. Period.

FYI a school by definition is authoritarian and controlling the environment is part of the game.

That said the few hours a day the brats are in school and wearing a uniform will not damage them

Good training for adult life, when they'll REALLY get oppressed by controlling authoritarians. If they don't butch up now, they'll never handle it.

My district has no dress code for teachers (although teachers can be told to behave more professional). I wish we did because what a few of my peers wear to teach is downright embarrassing.

I remember the only year that I ever sent my daughter to public school. Teacher showed up to Parent-Teacher Day in a t-shirt with no bra. And trust me when I tell you this heifer had NO business EVER going without a bra. Talk about traumatizing. I have no doubt that whole herds of pubescent boys were put off their sexual development by years.

Yup, the above are a real attack on "individuality, creativity, personal expression and it drops the hammer of authoritarianism."

Because you think you're the only one here "traumatized" by a dress code? Honey, when I was in school, they'd send you home for wearing a tank top and open-toed shoes. Amazingly enough, we soldiered on.

Perhaps reading comprehension lessons are in order.

Unless of course you can demonstrate where I indicated anything about my experience being "exclusive". Let alone wrote anything about "trauma".

Oh wait --- no, you just plugged those in. Didn't you. Guess the actual content was inconvenient.

Amusing how your argument amounts to "drunk driving isn't a problem; I did it and I got home fine".

pogo just wants to stick it to "the man", particularly when he is "the man"

I remember that commercial.

And that guy looked nothing like me.

Trust me, I would never ever dress like that. Especially if it were "expected". Because fuck that.
But in the interest of full disclosure, I did have a phone that looked just like that. Because that's the way they made them.

Last edited:
Pogo is acting the survivor of a PTSD because he had a dress requirement for school.

Unless of course you can demonstrate where I indicated anything about my experience being "exclusive". Let alone wrote anything about "trauma".

Oh wait --- no, you just plugged those in. Didn't you. Guess the actual content was inconvenient.

Amusing how your argument amounts to "drunk driving isn't a problem; I did it and I got home fine".

"Live through it as a child and then get back to me" sounds like you think you had an experience the other person didn't . . . at least, to those of us who speak English.

Amusing how your argument amounts to "It only means that when I WANT it to!"

"Live through it as a child and then get back to me" sounds like you think you had an experience the other person didn't . . . at least, to those of us who speak English.

Correct. And "that other person" (Jake) is a singular.

As I just said --- reading comprehension lessons are in order. Perhaps they're on back-order.

My district has no dress code for teachers (although teachers can be told to behave more professional). I wish we did because what a few of my peers wear to teach is downright embarrassing.

I remember the only year that I ever sent my daughter to public school. Teacher showed up to Parent-Teacher Day in a t-shirt with no bra. And trust me when I tell you this heifer had NO business EVER going without a bra. Talk about traumatizing. I have no doubt that whole herds of pubescent boys were put off their sexual development by years.

Why?
You're skeered of breasts? Really?

Pogo is acting the survivor of a PTSD because he had a dress requirement for school.

Ummmm nnnnno, Pogo was analyzing the root dynamics of a nineteenth century State-dictated pseudo-system of social control running under the guise of "education", and how its psychological coercion works.

Why?
To be disgusted by unsupported huge-assed breasts does not mean "fear". And to show up at a parent/teacher meeting with unsupported huge breasts is ridiculous.

Why?
To be disgusted by unsupported huge-assed breasts does not mean "fear".

I fear it means something worse.

I shoulda been a psychologist.

Why?

THOSE breasts? Yeah.

More to the point - and I realize that this is an area totally unfamiliar to leftists who don't comprehend appropriate, civilized behavior - her breasts had no business being displayed that blatantly in public, and CERTAINLY not in the workplace, and DEFINITELY not when the workplace was a junior high school.

I don't consider it unreasonable to ask people to wait to show me what's under their clothes until after I buy them dinner. If that's not happening, take a fucking hint.

Forum List

Back