Teacher Dress Codes: yes or no?

Teacher Dress Codes: yes or no?

• Yes and explain

Votes: 15 71.4%
  • No and explain

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters
A friend is going to work in a conservative religious school: no elbows or collarbones visible.

I have always thought teachers' dress requirements should generally meet those of the students.

Teachers should be models of appropriate dress and behavior, as well as instructors.

The poll is easy: yes or no. Let's not hear any snowflake whining. Give us your opinion in a sensible manner.

I vote a resounding yes.
Teachers should dress like authority figures. No one is going to respect them if they dress like the kids

The crucial term there is "authority figure".

A teacher should be a teacher --- not an "authority figure". Authority figures are for the military. A teacher should be offering --- not inflicting -- his or her wisdom. More like a gift than an order. If some student is doing his lesson not because it interests him but because he'll be punished if he doesn't, we've thrown away the whole concept of teaching and what it means.

Which we probably have anyway but just saying -- if we're setting them up to be authority figures then what they're doing is not teaching, but indoctrinating.
A teacher has to set an example. And. Teacher IS an authority figure. That doesn’t mean they have to be despotic. But they have to create an environment where kids can lean. That doesn’t happen in chaos

No, because "dress code" means uniformity, and uniformity sucks. It's a strongarm way to bury individuality, creativity, personal expression and it drops the hammer of authoritarianism.

You'd be amazed at the individuality one can come up with within a uniform :p

A friend is going to work in a conservative religious school: no elbows or collarbones visible.

I have always thought teachers' dress requirements should generally meet those of the students.

Teachers should be models of appropriate dress and behavior, as well as instructors.

The poll is easy: yes or no. Let's not hear any snowflake whining. Give us your opinion in a sensible manner.

I vote a resounding yes.
Teachers should dress like authority figures. No one is going to respect them if they dress like the kids

The crucial term there is "authority figure".

A teacher should be a teacher --- not an "authority figure". Authority figures are for the military. A teacher should be offering --- not inflicting -- his or her wisdom. More like a gift than an order. If some student is doing his lesson not because it interests him but because he'll be punished if he doesn't, we've thrown away the whole concept of teaching and what it means.

Which we probably have anyway but just saying -- if we're setting them up to be authority figures then what they're doing is not teaching, but indoctrinating.
A teacher has to set an example. And. Teacher IS an authority figure. That doesn’t mean they have to be despotic. But they have to create an environment where kids can lean. That doesn’t happen in chaos

I agree....and I think one of the biggest mistakes we made was in putting the teacher in the "buddy" role rather than "teacher" role...there has to be a level of authority along with mentoring and teaching.

Teachers should wear black, modest clothing. Coats and ties for men, pantsuits or skirts for women.

Students should wear sweatsuits for the duration K-12, with the color indicating grade level, as in martial arts.

Sweatsuits are cheap, any family can afford them.

Yes. Male instructors should be wearing slacks, non-athletic shoes, and a collared shirt with full sleeves. Female instructors should be wear g a sleeved dress or blouse and skirt. Either way the hem must be mid-shin or lower and sleeves should be full length. The cut of the blouse/dresss top should not expose any significant cleavage.

Way too strict!

I worked at a school with that dress code for male teachers. (BTW, what is this "instructor" crap?)

Try wearing long sleeves in a school where the classroom temperature would get into the low 80s because of the antiquated HVAC systems. I hated that school district because the men were expected to adhere to the dress code, but the women were completely ignored when they violated it.

See? You are disagreed with, and you start acting all authoritarian and uptight.

Losen up, Pogo.

I ain't the one telling people what to wear, now am I.

It's curious, Jake, that you purport to put up an objective poll, call for honest objective responses, and then want to change votes you don't like. So much for objective.
Yup, you are authoritarian and not honest, either.

You have an opinion, like we all do.

You express your opinion, like we all do.

You disagree, which is your right.

But when I disagree, I am being a bully.

Grow up and act like an adult.

You disagree with me: I can live with you. And so should you.

Come off it, that's dishonest. YOU brought up "bully", not me. I simply observed that you asked for responses, and when you got one you don't agree with you get all butthurt.

That means you weren't honest about asking for responses in the first place. Apparently you just want an echo chamber on this one. You won't get it from me.

And I don't do Doublethink --- the authoritarian position would be dictating a dress code. That's the position I'm against. So you're full of shit.
And you prove my point.

You go to an educational institution, you accept the rules.

If you have the CHOICE of going to that institution, sure.

I didn't. I was sentenced to it, out of my parents' ignorance. Took me six years to break free but as noted, once I did, nobody behind me got that prison sentence again.

You're welcome, younger siblings. Glad I could #$^&*% help.

This is part of what the social revolution of the Sixties was about --- calling out mindless conformity. And good goddam riddance to it. :death:

11111-hat-pic.jpg

"Baaaah...."​

Weepy emo hippie infant.

Teachers should wear black, modest clothing. Coats and ties for men, pantsuits or skirts for women.

Students should wear sweatsuits for the duration K-12, with the color indicating grade level, as in martial arts.

Hilarious! Let us know when you take the topic seriously.

I've been teaching martial arts for 33 years. The color system provides clear, up-front goals for the students. There is a special pride within each rank.

I wear black in my position as teacher. Wherever I go within the martial arts community, students know my position without question, and they know I am not there to be their "buddy".

Last edited:
I like uniforms in schools.

Teachers should know how to dress....that goes without saying.

I like private schools.

Where you keep them fenced in....so to speak (pupils and teachers of course)

No savages allowed.

We like that.

I vote a resounding yes.

Yes.

Professional. appropriate attire for educators promotes an authoritative learning environment while setting an excellent example for students. Students will remember those teachers who looked the part, and perhaps even what they were teaching.

I've been teaching martial arts for 38 years. The color system provides clear, up-front goals for the students. There is a special pride within each rank.

I wear black in my position as teacher. Wherever I go within the martial arts community, students know my position without question, and they know I am not there to be their "buddy".

Education is not martial arts. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but coats and ties for men and pantsuits or skirts are not user friendly for teachers.

Apparently you want the men looking like Secret Service agents and the women to look like Hillary Clinton (PIAPS). :D

I've been teaching martial arts for 38 years. The color system provides clear, up-front goals for the students. There is a special pride within each rank.

Education is not martial arts. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but coats and ties for men and pantsuits or skirts are not user friendly for teachers.

Indeed, but martial arts training is education, and the philosophies could easily be applied to the public education system.

"User friendly". Too funny. As a teacher, I am more concerned with what is effective for training students than what is physically comfortable or currently stylish for their teachers.

Indeed, but martial arts training is education, and the philosophies could easily be applied to the public education system.

"User friendly". Too funny. As a teacher, I am more concerned with what is effective for training students than what is physically comfortable or currently stylish for their teachers.

You are a martial arts teacher? That means you know nothing about teachers in a school setting.

Do you teach your class in a suit and tie? If not, you should shut the heck up!

The dress code where I currently work for the Army is even more strict than I had when I was a teacher, but that makes sense. I sit at a desk all day. I am not allowed to wear boots of any kind. Go figure!

Again

I like uniforms in schools for the pupils...

The teachers should certainly have the good sense to know how to dress themselves

But then,...I am talking private schools.....because with public ones and liberal left scum ..directing them those poor souls....

Well...all savages. Sad but true.

Feel so sad for those families who must send their children to public schools.

Something has to be done to stop liberal, progressive, communist indoctrination from public schools .

Something has to be done to stop liberal, progressive, communist indoctrination from public schools .

You so-called conservatives keep posting this tripe! What liberal progressive communist indoctrination are you talking about? The vast majority of teachers would have no idea what you are talking about. Outside of the Californication, New York Shitty, Fithydelphia, Bostoon, and a few other liberal epicenters, none of this crap even exists.

I vote a resounding yes.
For many of us it is a silly thing. The option of I don't care, or I am amused, would do. The moralism and expectations inherent in the ideas expressed are amusing. Teachers can be role models no matter how they dress. It is actions and integrity in a teacher that impresses the minds of youngsters. They can see through most bullshit, and given a strict or moralistic environment they may play along, but in the end will end up mocking the dress codes.

back in the early 1970s we had two Hippies for teachers. Both were awesome teachers and had the respect of their students. They were good teachers. No one cared how they looked. well some did, the control freaks and those who expected certain standards if only that is the way it always was or should be..

Loom at the nations with better results in education. Is their success based on better dress codes or better teachers and pay and standards for teaching subjects

When was the last time you were in a public school?

Forum List

Back