Super Tuesday 2020 (March 3, 2020) California Moves up Their Primaries

Totally irrelevant pablum for the proletariat. What matters for the dems are their super-delegates. Bernie proved that the popular vote is worthless.

I disagree this kind of speeding up the selection process means that a real wacko is more likely to win nomination.

Additionally, it means that you essentially have a month once people start voting to prove legitimacy. After 3/3/20, there will be very little money contributed to someone in 3rd place or lower. So that means fundraising for 3/3/20 stars like 1/1/18 or so. It shifts the dynamic to the already affluent or those with name recognition and backing.

It really “helps” a Republican candidate more than a Democratic Party candidate because the R contests are largely “winner take all” where as the Dems insist on the proportional distribution which is why Hillary and Obama had their convention brokered and Bernie and Hillary were still going at it up to the Convention.

The R nominee may be decided before Spring. :eek-52:
MI, OH, FL, IL all have their (currently) before 3/21/20.
An actually competitive gop primary season in 20? THAT would be interesting.

It likely won’t happen…but it would be interesting. California being in play is a big game changer in terms of the national political dialouge. The contest used to happen in June when there was no opposition to whomever the frontrunner was—often the candidate had clinched the nomination by the time it rolled around.

For the Republicans, there won’t be a lot left after March. For the Democrats, it’s possible that you could lose California and Texas and still win the number of delegates awarded on 3/3/20 if you rack up large victories in the other states thanks to the idiotic proportional dispersement.

Its one of the reasons I really roll my eyes when I hear about how the parties are essentially one and the same. If that were true, they’d have the same rules which would settle the contests quickly instead of the mish/mash of caucuses, primaries, WTA’s, proportionals, and what have you.

Totally irrelevant pablum for the proletariat. What matters for the dems are their super-delegates. Bernie proved that the popular vote is worthless.

I disagree this kind of speeding up the selection process means that a real wacko is more likely to win nomination.

Additionally, it means that you essentially have a month once people start voting to prove legitimacy. After 3/3/20, there will be very little money contributed to someone in 3rd place or lower. So that means fundraising for 3/3/20 stars like 1/1/18 or so. It shifts the dynamic to the already affluent or those with name recognition and backing.

It really “helps” a Republican candidate more than a Democratic Party candidate because the R contests are largely “winner take all” where as the Dems insist on the proportional distribution which is why Hillary and Obama had their convention brokered and Bernie and Hillary were still going at it up to the Convention.

The R nominee may be decided before Spring. :eek-52:
MI, OH, FL, IL all have their (currently) before 3/21/20.
An actually competitive gop primary season in 20? THAT would be interesting.

It likely won’t happen…but it would be interesting. California being in play is a big game changer in terms of the national political dialouge. The contest used to happen in June when there was no opposition to whomever the frontrunner was—often the candidate had clinched the nomination by the time it rolled around.

For the Republicans, there won’t be a lot left after March. For the Democrats, it’s possible that you could lose California and Texas and still win the number of delegates awarded on 3/3/20 if you rack up large victories in the other states thanks to the idiotic proportional dispersement.

Its one of the reasons I really roll my eyes when I hear about how the parties are essentially one and the same. If that were true, they’d have the same rules which would settle the contests quickly instead of the mish/mash of caucuses, primaries, WTA’s, proportionals, and what have you.
Oh yeah, the dems tend to be much more amusing and disorganized. The GOP establishment defense was like the Maginot line.

Bernie lost every major state. But that was here on Earth; not where ever you are getting your news from.

How about the Washington Post?

google: Sanders supporters call super-delegate system rigged
(link wont copy??)

The Ds have moved even further left since 2016 and will be campaigning on higher taxes and open borders so I think with massive loss of tax base Howdy Doody could beat whoever they end up with.

He’s living rent-free in your “mind”. And millions of other wingnuts. Maybe that’s how he got to be a billionaire: never having to pay rent.

He spent his formative years enjoying working with genuine Nazis -- and liking it.
I thought you didn’t like fake news?

Did you not watch the Steve Kroft interview?
CBS isn’t fake news?

Are you making a point?
I think I made it.

I dunno about "whacko." I think a whacko would be more likely to come from smaller states all in a similar geog region. Here we have Tex and Calif, along with VA and NC, and some smaller states too. Maybe it gives a candidate a better chance to "land a knock out blow" and just get it over with.

I agree with that. It lessens the impact of Iowa and New Hampshire for both parties. The GOP with it’s Winner-Take-All contests will have a nominee very quickly; likely before April.

Forum List

Back