Zone1 Sola scriptura (Scripture alone [is all that's needed]) is demolished with one sentence

1miseryindex

Platinum Member
Nov 17, 2023
USA
If Jesus wanted us to go be Scripture alone, which He didn't, He would not have had to come to Earth since the only Scripture available in the days when Christ walked the Earth were

in the OLD Testament.

Poor nomdaic5..........you can change your name but not the way you post.

So if Jesus taught sola scriptura, that means that everything HE said and did is to be ignored!

very logical :uhoh3:

Oh, Ignored Member has a comment

but for some strange reason, I can't see it.

Woe is me

LOL

Where does the Bible support sola scriptura anyway?
2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

The Apostle Paul wrote that. Paul had been visited by Jesus himself as well as the Holy Spirit. Paul said that the scriptures were sufficient for the man of God to be COMPLETE.

A few centuries later the Holy Spirit, I believe, guided the original church into compiling the scriptures into a Bible. Long thereafter, the church in Rome (and others) began teaching doctrines that were not in the scriptures or were even contrary to the scriptures.

What the Catholic Church has essentially said is that Jesus and his apostles neglected to include many doctrines in the original scriptures and so the CC is correcting their negligence by introducing additional doctrines. In other words, they have granted themselves a license to make up anything they want. Paul warned against this, yet they ignored it.

Galatians 1:8-12 NKJV But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.

Please notice that Jesus himself, who is God, referred to the scriptures when refuting the arguments of Satan. Jesus didn't need to do that, of course, but he did so to teach us that we too should rely on the scriptures.

Matthew 4:1-11 KJV
4 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

2 And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.

3 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.

4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

5 Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple,

6 And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.

7 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;

9 And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.

10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

11 Then the devil leaveth him, and, behold, angels came and ministered unto him.

What the Catholic Church has essentially said is that Jesus and his apostles neglected to include many doctrines in the original scriptures and so the CC is correcting their negligence by introducing additional doctrines. In other words, they have granted themselves a license to make up anything they want. Paul warned against this, yet they ignored it.
I would need a specific example of this. Recall, Apostolic Tradition was put into place long before the New Testament was compiled a few hundred years later. Scripture in Paul's time would have been the Old Testament. Matthew's Gospel is an excellent example of this, how it mirrors the Old Testament.

I would need a specific example of this. Recall, Apostolic Tradition was put into place long before the New Testament was compiled a few hundred years later. Scripture in Paul's time would have been the Old Testament. Matthew's Gospel is an excellent example of this, how it mirrors the Old Testament.

Example? Praying to Mary.

Example? Praying to Mary.
Do you believe (as the Catholic Church teaches) that the Body of Christ is made up of both the living and those who have passed on?

Have you ever ask anyone living to pray for or with you?

"Where two or three are gathered in my name..." What does that verse mean to you?

I once asked my two grandmothers (who had passed on) to pray with me. The result was astounding.

Have you ever prayed for souls in purgatory. I have. Again, with an astounding result.

Prayer is powerful. Are we supposed to ignore Mary as a member of the Body of Christ?

Scripture in Paul's time would have been the Old Testament.
Wasn't Paul writing scripture through his letters to the various churches that he was mentoring?

You won't give a straightforward, honest, answer because you're not interested in honest discussion that will lead us and others to the truth. Your loyalty isn't to God's truth but to the Catholic Church.

Do you believe (as the Catholic Church teaches) that the Body of Christ is made up of both the living and those who have passed on?

Have you ever ask anyone living to pray for or with you?

"Where two or three are gathered in my name..." What does that verse mean to you?

I once asked my two grandmothers (who had passed on) to pray with me. The result was astounding.

Have you ever prayed for souls in purgatory. I have. Again, with an astounding result.

Prayer is powerful. Are we supposed to ignore Mary as a member of the Body of Christ?

Give us the scriptures where we're commanded to pray to Mary.

This is the beauty of the Catholic Church abandoning scripture. They gave themselves a license to make up anything. You'll notice that Merriweather is long on pontificating his own opinions while not citing any scripture.

I'll follow the word of God. I suggest others do the same.

Wasn't Paul writing scripture through his letters to the various churches that he was mentoring?
All Paul was aware of was that he was writing letters, that included Apostolic teachings. It is why Catholics value his letters, and why they became scripture.
You won't give a straightforward, honest, answer because you're not interested in honest discussion that will lead us and others to the truth. Your loyalty isn't to God's truth but to the Catholic Church.
Are you reading and understanding what I am writing? My answers are straight from the shoulder and completely honest. What is it about them you are not understanding?

I have read Protestant criticisms of Catholic practices. I have read Catholic and historic explanations of Catholic practices. After decades of this, it is clear that Protestant criticisms/interpretations of scripture date back to the fifteen hundreds and are based on a modern language not Biblical languages. They even have some of the etymology changes in the English language incorrect.

You say you want the truth. The truth does not lie in the 1500s and modern English. The truth lies in Apostolic times and Biblical languages.

If Jesus wanted us to go be Scripture alone, which He didn't, He would not have had to come to Earth since the only Scripture available in the days when Christ walked the Earth were

in the OLD Testament.
Exactly . I made the same comment in a very recent similar thread .
That is, Jesus was long dead when the Gnostic books were all available and the authors inevitably were working from memory or repeated information passed mouth to mouth .
So , Jesus did not actively and directly figure in the assembly of any of their mumbo jumbo.

Quite separately Jesus never died in around AD33 and was still preaching around Asia Minor until ca. AD 62 , a married man with a daughter and two sons .
The Cultists simply cannot even consider that evidence as it invalidates the unwitting scam completely .

They therefore fall back on Faith and final redemption -- a hopeless cop out .

Forum List

Back