Zone1 This Scripture (Mk 4:1-20) shows one reason why we need priests, bishops and popes

The following chart illustrates that Catholics are without Scriptural authority for their doctrine of successors.

THE HOLY SCRIPTURES
THAT WHICH THEY NEED BUT DON'T HAVE
Eph. 2:20, "...You are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets with Christ himself as the chief corner stone." "...You are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets AND THEIR SUCCESSORS with Christ himself as the chief corner stone."
Eph. 3:5, "...Now it has been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit." "...Now it has been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets AND SUCCESSORS by the Spirit."
2 Cor. 5:20, "On behalf of Christ, therefore, we are acting as ambassadors, God, as it were, appealing through us." "One behalf of Christ, therefore, we AND OUR SUCCESSORS are acting as ambassadors, God, as it were, appealing through us."
1 John 4:6, "We are of God: he that knoweth God listens to us; he who is not of God does not listen to us." "We are of God: he that knoweth God listens to us AND OUR SUCCESSORS; he who is not of God does not listen to us."
John 20:21-23, "As the Father has sent me, I also send you. When he had said this, he breathed upon them, and said to them, 'Receive the Holy Spirit; whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you shall retain, they are retained." "As the Father has sent me, I also send you AND YOUR SUCCESSORS. When he had said this, he breathed upon the, and said to them, "Receive the Holy Spirit; whose sins you AND YOUR SUCCESSORS shall forgive, they are forgiven them; and whose sins you AND YOUR SUCCESSORS shall retain, they are retained."
John 17:20, "Yet not for these only do I pray, but for those also who through their word are to believe in me." "Yet not for these only do I pray, but for those also who through their AND THEIR SUCCESSORS' word are to believe in me."

If the Catholics are to sustain their idea of successors, they must produce the passages which plainly and openly reveal it. Anyone who teaches a doctrine not written in the Word of God incurs the displeasure and condemnation of God. Notice the following Scriptures:
"Now, brethren, I have applied these things to myself and Apollos by way of illustration for your sakes, that in our case you may learn not to be puffed up one against the other over a third party, transgressing what is written." (1 Cor. 4:6).
"Many will say to me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in they name, and cast out devils in thy name, and work many miracles in thy name?' And then I will profess to them, 'I never knew you. Depart from me, you workers of iniquity!' " (Matt. 7:22-23).
"If anyone thinks that he is a prophet of spiritual, let him recognize that the things I am writing to you are the Lord's commandments." (1 Cor. 14:37).
"Anyone who advances and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ, has not God; he who abides in the doctrine, he has both the Father and the Son." (2 John 9)

Of course there are numerous other scripture psgs as well

Here is a Scripture from the January 24, 2024 Catholic Mass readings-- Emphasis added by yours truly:

And when [Jesus] was alone, those present along with the Twelve questioned him about the parables. He answered them, "The mystery of the Kingdom of God has been granted to you [his inner circle of followers]. But to those outside, everything comes in parables, so that

they may look and see but not perceive,
and hear and listen but not understand,
in order that they may not be converted and be forgiven."

Comment

Wow, that's really something... especially the last sentence. First of all, the part that has the most to do w/ OP title is the first highlighted sentence... Jesus had his closest followers with Him. Those who weren't really into him, as it were, had apparently left the scene.

Jesus continues, saying to them,

"Do you not understand this parable? Then how will you understand any of [them]? The sower sows the word. These are ones on the path where the word is sown. As soon as they hear it, Satan comes at once and takes away the word sown in them.

And these are the ones sown on rocky ground who, when they hear the word, receive it at once with joy. But they have no roots; they last only for a time. Then when tribulation or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away. Those sown among thorns are another sort. They are the ones who hear the word but worldly anxiety, the lure of riches, and the craving for other things intrude and choke the word, and it bears no fruit..."

Inheritors Of Authority?​

Please notice the following quotation from a Catholic source:
"Christ conferred upon the Apostles the power to forgive sins: 'Whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven, they are forgiven.' (John 20:23). St. Paul mirrors the faith of the Apostolic Church when he writes: 'God hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation.' (II Cor. 5:18).

"As the inheritors of the power and authority of the apostles, the bishops and priests of the Catholic Church exercise the ministry of reconciliation, forgiving penitent sinners in the name of Jesus Christ." (The Faith of Millions, pp. 71-72)

"Did Christ intend that THIS POWER should BE EXERCISED BY THE APOSTLES ALONE?

"No, Christ intended that this power should be exercised also by their successors, the bishops of church." (My Catholic Faith, p. 107)

"Christ had given the Apostles full powers to choose successors, when He gave them the powers His Father had given Him (John 20:21).
"It was the command of Christ that the Apostles should have successors to continue the Church, which He said would last till the end of the world. (Matt. 28:20). Without successors to the Apostles, the Church would have no rulers, and being unorganized would never have lasted." (Ibid., p. 107).
As one can see from he above, Catholics claim that the present day bishops and priests in the Catholic Church are successors to the apostles, being inheritors of their power and authority. This cannot be true. The Catholic bishops and priests were not promised the power from on high nor commanded to wait in Jerusalem to receive it (Luke 24:49; Acts 1:4,8). They have no authority because they are not inspired of the Holy Spirit nor are they eyewitnesses of Jesus (John 20:22-23; Acts 1:8, 21-26). They cannot prove their authority by speaking in tongues, prophesying and working miracles (2 Cor. 12:12). They are not the chosen ambassadors who were selected to deliver God's message or "the faith" to mankind (Eph. 3:3-4; Jude 3). Moreover, they cannot be successors to the apostles and prophets because the only infallible succession to them are the inspired writings (2 Pet. 1:15; 3:1; 2 Tim. 3:14-17).
The words of Christ quoted by the above Catholic writers were addressed the apostles only. They were not addressed to Catholic bishops and priests and it is sinful and wrong to apply the passage to them. This is done repeatedly in the Catholic Church as they try to prove their man made doctrine of successors. It was done by the above Catholic writers as he made reference to John 20:21-23; Matt. 28:20 and 2 Cor. 5:18. None of the passages made mention of successors nor referred to successors. They referred to the apostles and prophets only, and to apply them to anyone else is to twist and pervert the word of God. The wrath of God rests on all those who do such (Gal. 1:6-9; 2 John 9; Rev. 22:18-19).
Catholic officials confuse the present Catholic bishops with the New Testament bishops. Notice the following:

"The Apostles chose men to assist them, imparting to them greater or less powers. Before leaving a place, they chose a successor with full powers (Acts 14:22).

"Those who received only a small part of the powers of the apostles were called deacons. Those given greater power were called priests. Those appointed successors to rule in the place of the Apostles were the bishops." (My Catholic Faith, p. 107).

The New Testament bishops were not successors to the apostles nor did they in any way resemble present day Catholic bishops. Their qualifications are clearly disclosed in 1 Tim. 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9. We quote Paul's words to Timothy here for you careful consideration:
"This saying is true: If anyone is eager for the office of bishop, he desires a good work. A bishop then, must be blameless, married but once, reserved, prudent, of good conduct, hospitable, a teacher, not a drinker or a brawler, but moderate, not quarrelsome, not avaricious. He should rule well his own household, keeping his children under control and perfectly respectful. For if a man cannot rule his own household, how is he to take care of the church of God? He must not be a new convert, lest he be puffed up with pride and incur the condemnation passed on the devil. Besides this he must have a good reputation with those who are outside, that he may not fall into disgrace and into a snare of the devil." (1 Tim. 3:1-7).
A study of New Testament bishops, first of all, reveals they had to be married men. 1 Tim. 3:2 says, "It behoveth therefore a bishop to be blameless, the husband of one wife, sober, prudent, of good behavior, chaste, given to hospitality, a teacher..." (Catholic Rheims Translation). "Now a bishop must be above reproach, the husband of one wife..." (1 Tim. 3:2; Catholic Revised Standard Version). Also, a bishop had to rule his own house well having his children in subjection (1 Tim. 3:4-5). The Catholic Church rejects the will of Christ in this matter. The inspired writers plainly revealed that among other things the great apostasy would "forbid marriage" (1 Tim. 4:1-3).
Secondly, the New Testament reveals that bishops are overseers of the local congregations. They were to be selected by each local church. They were to be "proved" or "tried" in view of the qualifications as were the deacons (1 Tim. 3:10). Deacons had no authority but were to "serve" in the local churches (1 Tim. 3:8-13). Once the bishops were selected, they were to oversee the local congregations wherein they had been chosen and ordained. Peter said to the bishops, "Tend the flock of God which is among you..." (1 Pet. 5:2). This was the extent of their oversight--overseeing only one church. The Catholic Church has changed the law of Christ in this matter also. Their bishops oversee not just one church but a whole diocese of churches. Paul showed that the great apostasy which was already underway in his time (2 Thess. 2:7) would begin among the bishops (Acts 20:28-31).
Thirdly, the New Testament disclosed that there was always a plurality of bishops in each local church. Acts 14:23 says, "In each church they installed presbyters and, with prayer and fasting, commended them to the Lord in whom they had put their faith." (New Catholic Translation). Without exception there were always more than one bishop (or elder) in each church. Again, the Catholic Church has corrupted this form of governing as ordained by God. Instead of having several bishops (or elders) overseeing one church, they have one bishop overseeing several churches. The Council of Nicia in Cannon 8 forbad having more than one bishop in a city (Disciplinary a Decrees of the General Councils, p. 34).

We talk about all kinds of religions here. What we don't do is call people vermin, and haters and target someone in every thread you make. You and OPJQ remind me of gossipy old biddies, hanging out at the back fence belittling your neighbors. Your "confessions" are just accolades to yourself. Your little trip to the badlands showed your true colors. If you represent the Catholic faith, then you leave a bad impression. You are nothing like the Catholics I know. None of them act like you. There decent people. You're just nasty...
it is time for Ignore

You are not a faithful Christian in my POV, assuming you are even a Christian at all...

No true lover of Christ would say the rot you say...

the OT and Jesus said

Love your neighbor as yourself.

I'm gone

it is time for Ignore

You are not a faithful Christian in my POV, assuming you are even a Christian at all...

No true lover of Christ would say the rot you say...

the OT and Jesus said

Love your neighbor as yourself.

I'm gone
LOL @ you quoting, love your neighbor. Does that include all the Protestants, JW's and others you keep trying to send to hell?
Ignorance seems to be your forte, so, all the better! I can correct your dogma without interference...

Last edited:
To effect renewal for Israel, Jesus brought God's kingdom to the earth. To defeat his enemies and secure the new creation's happiness and prosperity, he barred from entering it the Pharisees and other dogs, sorcerers, murderers, and idolators who lacked the righteousness to enter it (Mt 5:20; Rv 22:14-15). Up until this defeat, the Pharisees, dogs, sorcerers, murderers, and idolators were the visionaries for the Jews, however erroneous their vision was. They were the ones who determined the holy peoples' intellectual and religious pathways. But ultimately, they did not enter the kingdom; they were not the visionaries who determined Israel's long-term future. The humble, the converts, the saints now were the ones manning the helm. The Christians could see the kingdom, and the unrepentant Jews could not. Just as Jesus said in John 9:39, the Christians were made to see, and the Jews became blind. The roles were reversed now.

“‘they may indeed see but not perceive,
and may indeed hear but not understand,
lest they should turn and be forgiven.’”

So Jesus said of the Jews. Of the Christians, he trusted that they should be the ones to understand.

Peter stayed with the Jews for 15 years after the death of Christ, began a church based on Christ's teachings in Jerusalem, and converted thousands of Jews. But, because they missed the day of their visitation by Christ, scales were put on their eyes. Their blindness will be removed at the end of the Gentile age. Messianic Jews from each tribe with convert the small remnant still alive during the tribulation period and they will realize when they see Christ return to the Mount of Olives, that He indeed is their Messiah.

Romans 11:25 For I, brethren, would not have you be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits: that blindness in part has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles be come in.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back