So what does a country do once its bankrupt?

Raising taxes... I assume that means on everyone but you, right? What about the 38% who pay no income taxes? Perhaps we could get them to start contributing first then let's talk.

I also favor raising taxes. But I see and appreciate your point.

I favor one single income tax rate that everybody should pay. But the tax rate is only half the story. Let's also consider the definition of income. While eliminating the games being played with the different tax rates, at the same time let's eliminate the games currently being played with defining income. Instead of all the different categories (wages, interest, dividends, capital gains, social security, welfare, inheritance, gambling winnings and so on) lets call a spade a spade and consider income as simply money received by an individual or joint filer, minus expenses personally used to produce the money.

I can see a lot of abuse of this idea. You were fine up to that point. I would add that the tax should be no greater than 10% of GNP. If the economy shrinks, so does the government.

Depends what you call the long term Toro. With government debt equaling 90% of GDP by 2050, I think long term you need to look out of the country for your gains.

one usually borrows 3 times their annual income, for something like a house, and this is manageable....is that comparable to this situation?

Because I believe that ultimately Americans will choose to deal with their problems rather than allow the intransigent ideologues take us all down in flames. America is a mature country.

bro i think you got it ass backwards. mature means time to die.

one usually borrows 3 times their annual income, for something like a house, and this is manageable....is that comparable to this situation?

not at all.

one buys a house because he makes too much money and needs to invest it into something. on the other hand we borrow because we don't make enough. and we're not investing into anything.

our situation is like "borrowing" money to eat. like a beggar crawling around in rags asking for a quarter saying i will pay you back when i win the lottery ! then as soon as we get our change we spend it on hookers and beer.

Last edited:
minus expenses personally used to produce the money.

Basically I was trying define income to mean "net income". If somebody sells a house or stocks for $250,000 then they shouldn't be taxed on the full $250,000, just on the difference between what they received minus and its initial cost.

I apologize for any confusion, my writing style in general, is rather abrupt.

Personally, I don't think it is comparable. Lenders usually extend loans only to those with ability and willingness to pay then money back in full. Try getting a new house loan year-after-year without paying any off.

Last edited:
Because I believe that ultimately Americans will choose to deal with their problems rather than allow the intransigent ideologues take us all down in flames. America is a mature country.

about a year ago on this forum under a different account i have stated what will happen and it did. when all of you fucking idiots were yapping about how the economy is recovering because stock prices are rising. i told you what was up so you banned me.

americans won't BEGIN to understand what is going until half of them has starved to death.

how do i know this? because it took you idiots about 5 years to realize that war in Iraq was a fraud even though it was obvious form the start. so if you're lucky 5 years after we default you will begin to understand something.

Forum List

Back