Should we vote for the man or his policies?

In Conrad Black's opinion piece in today's The Hill, he writes about Peggy Noonan's column in the WSJ which is against Trump. Fair enough, but if her reasons are as Black suggests, then I have something of a problem with that. Obviously, we all have the right to choose, but my argument is on the reasons we should use to make that call. So, this isn't another thread about who you should vote for, but why you should pick this one over that one. Black writes:

Noonan has not been militantly hostile to most of Trump’s policies. She is, after all, a Reagan Republican and no great friend, politically speaking, of most Democrats. While she never gave Trump much credit for anything, she did not dispute his economic success, renunciation of the Paris climate and Iranian nuclear agreements, renegotiation of trade deals, building the wall on the southern border, identifying China’s threat or helping to conciliate Israel and a number of Arab powers. Her objections to Trump have been almost entirely to his garish personality and awkward administrative style, punctuated by endless indiscretions, frequent changes of personnel and fierce (if often humorous) disputes with former close colleagues.

Noonan might agree with many of Trump’s policies but she is unable to abide him as a person, especially in the great office he holds. With her latest column she elaborates on the evolution of her views, moving from an attack on Trump as a person to a formidable defense of Joe Biden as a plausible president. It is not an easy sell.

This is Noonan's column that appeared in the WSJ:

Trump gives us many reasons to dislike him IMHO, but what I am saying is that the decision for who to vote for should be based on policies rather than personalities. I would rather have a total asshole in the WH who does things that are in the best interests of the United States than a helluva nice guy who doesn't. Not just for us but for the generations which follow us. I see a huge difference between Trump and Biden; if you don't then so be it.
Trump is an egomaniacal jerk, almost a stereotypical New Yorker. As a person I dislike him. But, based upon his accomplishments, I think he's been a better than average president and head and shoulders above what Biden or Hillary could accomplish with their political double-speak and avoidance of hard decisions.
What accomplishments? Drastically increasing debt?
However, all his failures are eclipsed by his failed response to cornovirus which has cost 200,000 American lives and which will most likely hit over 250,000 before the end of the year. We have never had a president who failed so badly.
:wink::goodposting:

In Conrad Black's opinion piece in today's The Hill, he writes about Peggy Noonan's column in the WSJ which is against Trump. Fair enough, but if her reasons are as Black suggests, then I have something of a problem with that. Obviously, we all have the right to choose, but my argument is on the reasons we should use to make that call. So, this isn't another thread about who you should vote for, but why you should pick this one over that one. Black writes:

Noonan has not been militantly hostile to most of Trump’s policies. She is, after all, a Reagan Republican and no great friend, politically speaking, of most Democrats. While she never gave Trump much credit for anything, she did not dispute his economic success, renunciation of the Paris climate and Iranian nuclear agreements, renegotiation of trade deals, building the wall on the southern border, identifying China’s threat or helping to conciliate Israel and a number of Arab powers. Her objections to Trump have been almost entirely to his garish personality and awkward administrative style, punctuated by endless indiscretions, frequent changes of personnel and fierce (if often humorous) disputes with former close colleagues.

Noonan might agree with many of Trump’s policies but she is unable to abide him as a person, especially in the great office he holds. With her latest column she elaborates on the evolution of her views, moving from an attack on Trump as a person to a formidable defense of Joe Biden as a plausible president. It is not an easy sell.

Trump gives us many reasons to dislike him IMHO, but what I am saying is that the decision for who to vote for should be based on policies rather than personalities. I would rather have a total asshole in the WH who does things that are in the best interests of the United States than a helluva nice guy who doesn't. Not just for us but for the generations which follow us. I see a huge difference between Trump and Biden; if you don't then so be it.
As a general policy, I think voting the party when voting for a president is the best course. However, there are certainly exceptions. The first being the character and honesty of the candidate. If a candidate has shown himself to be dishonest, has little commitment to party ideology, and sees himself as a boss and not a public servant then can he be trusted?

The issue of character seems to be dismissed today by most voters but the fact is, as it always has been, the president is a role model. The president's administration and his supporters look to the president for acceptable behavior. If a president lies and misleads the American people, he is sending a message that it's acceptable. When the president sets new lows in his behavior, it becomes a precedence for future presidents. Ignoring the character of the man that will lead the country and focusing on his promises is how despots rise to power. This is exactly how Adolf Hitler rose to power. He gave his supporters exactly what they wanted to hear. He promised them that he would make Germany Great Again. He promised, he would rid the country of the undesirables, the Jews, and the leftest. The public dismissed the question of how he would accomplish his goals. In short, the public accepted the premise that the end justifies the means and we all know how that turned out.

Last edited:
I vote for the one who will first most benefit me and mine, and the nation.

The Democrats have nothing to offer to either.

Public universities would benefit the nation a lot.

I went to a "public university"-----anyone with any financial need back then could get tuition free and anyone with half-a-brain could get "NATIONAL
DEFENSE" loans (strange name for school loan
but I believe it started around the time that russia
shot its little SPUTNIK into space) ----US kids were
shown to have an arithmetic deficiency. I was in
college--mid-sixties to early 70s ------the slobs of
society were doing the same things then that they
are doing now for OSTENSIBLY the same reasons.
Some of the lingo was the same ----cops were all
pigs. The slobs TRASHED whole cities-----they are
just doing it more now and GETTING FAR MORE
FOR DOING IT. The really sad part is so many
politicians and even judges are licking their asses
for doing it

As a general policy, I think voting the party when voting for a president is the best course. However, there are certainly exceptions. The first being the character and honesty of the candidate. If a candidate has shown himself to be dishonest, has little commitment to party ideology, and sees himself as a boss and not a public servant then can he be trusted?

The issue of character seems to be dismissed today by most voters but the fact is, as it always has been, the president is a role model. The president's administration and his supporters look to the president for acceptable behavior. If a president lies and misleads the American people, he is sending a message that it's acceptable. When the president sets new lows in his behavior, it becomes a precedence for future presidents. Ignoring the character of the man that will lead the country and focusing on his promises is how despots rise to power. This is exactly how Adolf Hitler rose to power. He gave his supporters exactly what they wanted to hear. He promised them that he would make Germany Great Again. He promised, he would rid the country of the undesirables, the Jews, and the leftest. The public dismissed the question of how he would accomplish his goals. In short, the public accepted the premise that the end justifies the means and we all know how that turned out.
And imo even more so it's that if a person has a character that allows him to lie boldly about his positions on things, then you can't have faith that he'll stay true to policy. And it Trump's case, that is what's occurred. But his true supporters correctly see consistency in his social battles, and are happy to ignore the reality of taxes, deficits and trade. So Trump's lack of character is not really an issue for those who support his views on race immigration healthcare and education

And imo it's a little ironic that even with Comey's Nov Surprise, Hillary probably would have won unless she had the albatross of Bill's sexcapades hanging around her neck. And it was "tough to swallow" Hill's championing of protecting children. But there her lack of character went directly to contradicting the issue she championed for 30 years. Power corrupts.

I plan to waste(?) my vote by choosing President Trump.

I agree that he is a jack*ss in many ways. He has absolutely no sense of humor when it comes to himself, but, boy, can he ridicule other people.

Yet I like some of his policies.

Above all, I respect him for being about the only high government official who has refused to kowtow to certain groups. (The Speaker of the House's kneeling in contrition was absolutely sickening!)

I vote for the one who will first most benefit me and mine, and the nation.

The Democrats have nothing to offer to either.

Public universities would benefit the nation a lot.

I went to a "public university"-----anyone with any financial need back then could get tuition free and anyone with half-a-brain could get "NATIONAL
DEFENSE" loans (strange name for school loan
but I believe it started around the time that russia
shot its little SPUTNIK into space) ----US kids were
shown to have an arithmetic deficiency. I was in
college--mid-sixties to early 70s ------the slobs of
society were doing the same things then that they
are doing now for OSTENSIBLY the same reasons.
Some of the lingo was the same ----cops were all
pigs. The slobs TRASHED whole cities-----they are
just doing it more now and GETTING FAR MORE
FOR DOING IT. The really sad part is so many
politicians and even judges are licking their asses
for doing it
Today, the primary difference between public and private universities is cost. There are many individual differences between public and private universities but cost seems to be pretty universal.

Should you as an American, vote for someone who is an American with the American people's interest in mind, or someone who is anti-American?

That is the question.

Biden has vowed to tax our 401k's and IRA's, RIP Dem party. :cuckoo:
Another half truth.

Biden wants to give a bigger tax break to middle class and lower income families making contributions to 401k's and IRAs. Retirement contribution for singles workers making over $400,000 would pay a tax on a small portion of their contributions. Don't worry, they will still be living like kings when they retire.

Last edited:
Another half truth.

Biden wants to give a bigger tax break to middle class and lower income families making contributions to 401k's and IRAs. Retirement contribution for singles workers making over $400,000 would pay a tax on a portion of their contributions.

"If you like your money, you can keep your money." :auiqs.jpg:

Should you as an American, vote for someone who is an American with the American people's interest in mind, or someone who is anti-American?

That is the question.
Are you claiming Trump birth certificate is a fake and he was born in Russia?

That is the question.

I am claiming that president Trump works for the Americans.

Xiden... I am not so sure about. 40 years of failure...

Trump policy has been a failure. Look at the tax cuts. He said they would pay for themselves and deliver 4-6% gdp growth. Last year gdp growth declined to 2.3% and we had a trillion dollar deficit.

Are trade wars easy to win? So far the China trade war hurt farmers and lead to giant bailout. Steel has had all kinds of layoffs. Manufacturing also hurt. Failure.
There is very little faith in Prog policies. It will only get worse. We have a high tax state. We have work rules and benefits that are way out of line with other nations like China. We pay a lot of people with other peoples money. We have questionable diversity and quota policies that hurt our competiveness. That is a lot to overcome.
Bologna we don't have enough money to invest in education training and infrastructure for 30 years now thanks to the GOP and the giveaway to the rich and screw job for everyone else. Of course we should vote based on policy totally. We just get the best liar about personal stuff. My favorite are the French of course. They care about policy. Not the man . Francois Mitterand was my favorite. At his funeral another family showed up with another wife and kids and nobody really cared. What the brainwashed GOP base calls communism, every other modern country already has. Living wage healthcare daycare paid parental leave cheap college and training, great infrastructure and vacations, an ID card to end illegal immigration and mainly taxing the rich more like their fair share. Canada New Zealand are not Communists LOL. The GOP is totally full of crap and you are brainwashed functional morons. Poor America going off to rails....

That is the question.

I am claiming that president Trump works for the Americans.

Xiden... I am not so sure about. 40 years of failure...
I wonder how many Americans need a real estate developer and TV personality working for them.

I'm with you! There's a huge difference between Trump and Biden...as a matter of fact between Trump and almost any long entrenched politician. Biden has had 40+ years to shape America for the better - he's had his hand in nearly every policy decision for decades...and he's been ineffectual at best.

I don't even mind Trump's brashness - though I sometimes cringe at some of his comments. ;) But Trump is a fighter and he's fighting for me - we've had lily-livered milquetoasts in office for too long.

So yes, policy matters. It's what a person does, not what they say that counts...and I like much of what Trump's done.

Another half truth.

Biden wants to give a bigger tax break to middle class and lower income families making contributions to 401k's and IRAs. Retirement contribution for singles workers making over $400,000 would pay a tax on a small portion of their contributions. Don't worry, they will still be living like kings when they retire.

TAX INCREASE Biden can shove his fairness tax right up his ass with a hot poker, clear?

Agreed. Noonan is part of the political class. Trump is stripping their power away.

Vote your wallet and pocket book....that's all we have folks.....if we go back to the Obama daze....we will all leave the earth poorer than we are today...plain and simple......
Yeah let our kids pay for all them trump deficits.
Hey Obama drove our debt up even without a global pandemic shutdown....and you defended it....a thriving economy like Trump is famous for will stand a better chance of ridding America of debt than a Biden 12 million dollar tax hike......
Trump has increased Obama deficits every single year. And he did that during a strong economy. Now his failed pandemic response is really gonna be costly.
It’s all a show. The two parties are one, but somehow many Americans can’t see it. Maybe pictures will help...
119893500_2790229491188624_8748910462066758714_n.jpg

HE's my issue, what reasons? I don't ever see Trump attack people unless they attack him first. He says nice things about people who say nice things about him. He was just saying how Gavin Newsome was nice to him...that's called dignity and politeness...he does that...but if you attack him, he will pound you into the ground....which I also like...why shouldn't he?

Vote your wallet and pocket book....that's all we have folks.....if we go back to the Obama daze....we will all leave the earth poorer than we are today...plain and simple......
Yeah let our kids pay for all them trump deficits.
Hey Obama drove our debt up even without a global pandemic shutdown....and you defended it....a thriving economy like Trump is famous for will stand a better chance of ridding America of debt than a Biden 12 million dollar tax hike......
Trump has increased Obama deficits every single year. And he did that during a strong economy. Now his failed pandemic response is really gonna be costly.
It’s all a show. The two parties are one, but somehow many Americans can’t see it. Maybe pictures will help...
119893500_2790229491188624_8748910462066758714_n.jpg
Which is why an outsider with guts like Trump is so necessary.....the best way to judge a man is via his enemies....and Trumps enemies stink to high heaven with corruption.....

Forum List

Back