Should we vote for the man or his policies?

In Conrad Black's opinion piece in today's The Hill, he writes about Peggy Noonan's column in the WSJ which is against Trump. Fair enough, but if her reasons are as Black suggests, then I have something of a problem with that. Obviously, we all have the right to choose, but my argument is on the reasons we should use to make that call. So, this isn't another thread about who you should vote for, but why you should pick this one over that one. Black writes:

Noonan has not been militantly hostile to most of Trump’s policies. She is, after all, a Reagan Republican and no great friend, politically speaking, of most Democrats. While she never gave Trump much credit for anything, she did not dispute his economic success, renunciation of the Paris climate and Iranian nuclear agreements, renegotiation of trade deals, building the wall on the southern border, identifying China’s threat or helping to conciliate Israel and a number of Arab powers. Her objections to Trump have been almost entirely to his garish personality and awkward administrative style, punctuated by endless indiscretions, frequent changes of personnel and fierce (if often humorous) disputes with former close colleagues.

Noonan might agree with many of Trump’s policies but she is unable to abide him as a person, especially in the great office he holds. With her latest column she elaborates on the evolution of her views, moving from an attack on Trump as a person to a formidable defense of Joe Biden as a plausible president. It is not an easy sell.

This is Noonan's column that appeared in the WSJ:

Trump gives us many reasons to dislike him IMHO, but what I am saying is that the decision for who to vote for should be based on policies rather than personalities. I would rather have a total asshole in the WH who does things that are in the best interests of the United States than a helluva nice guy who doesn't. Not just for us but for the generations which follow us. I see a huge difference between Trump and Biden; if you don't then so be it.

You vote for the policies....the man doesn't matter. If the man mattered obama would never have gotten into office since his best friends and allies are all racists and terrorists........

Trump's policies have been great for our country and we need to keep the democrats out of power...the democrat party is the focus of evil in this country and they need to be stopped.

In Conrad Black's opinion piece in today's The Hill, he writes about Peggy Noonan's column in the WSJ which is against Trump. Fair enough, but if her reasons are as Black suggests, then I have something of a problem with that. Obviously, we all have the right to choose, but my argument is on the reasons we should use to make that call. So, this isn't another thread about who you should vote for, but why you should pick this one over that one. Black writes:

Noonan has not been militantly hostile to most of Trump’s policies. She is, after all, a Reagan Republican and no great friend, politically speaking, of most Democrats. While she never gave Trump much credit for anything, she did not dispute his economic success, renunciation of the Paris climate and Iranian nuclear agreements, renegotiation of trade deals, building the wall on the southern border, identifying China’s threat or helping to conciliate Israel and a number of Arab powers. Her objections to Trump have been almost entirely to his garish personality and awkward administrative style, punctuated by endless indiscretions, frequent changes of personnel and fierce (if often humorous) disputes with former close colleagues.

Noonan might agree with many of Trump’s policies but she is unable to abide him as a person, especially in the great office he holds. With her latest column she elaborates on the evolution of her views, moving from an attack on Trump as a person to a formidable defense of Joe Biden as a plausible president. It is not an easy sell.

Trump gives us many reasons to dislike him IMHO, but what I am saying is that the decision for who to vote for should be based on policies rather than personalities. I would rather have a total asshole in the WH who does things that are in the best interests of the United States than a helluva nice guy who doesn't. Not just for us but for the generations which follow us. I see a huge difference between Trump and Biden; if you don't then so be it.

The Office of President of the United States is an office of trust. If we cannot believe the man, it matters not what policies he might put forth. Consider Mussolini, who put a depressed nation back to work and murdered those who opposed him.

I agree which is why your voting for obama was so stupid....his best friends are racists and terrorists, he used the FBI, CIA, and DOJ as well as the STate Department as his personal STASI...........and yet you still support him......

The Office of President of the United States is an office of trust. If we cannot believe the man, it matters not what policies he might put forth. Consider Mussolini, who put a depressed nation back to work and murdered those who opposed him.

I agree which is why your voting for obama was so stupid....his best friends are racists and terrorists, he used the FBI, CIA, and DOJ as well as the STate Department as his personal STASI...........and yet you still support him......

You use Conspiracy Theories and Trump's tweets and speeches as if they are real, they're not real they are propaganda which only easily led people believe, and echo.

You use Conspiracy Theories and Trump's tweets and speeches as if they are real, they're not real they are propaganda which only easily led people believe, and echo.

Actually, it's the democrats and their conspiracy theories about Trump, ALL of which have been proven to be bullshit. Ever since Trump won, the Dem tweets and speeches have been total, fear-mongering propaganda.

I vote for the one who will first most benefit me and mine, and the nation.

The Democrats have nothing to offer to either.
You must be upper middle class because republicans have the rest of amErica surviving on crumbs.

Cuts to social security and Medicare

3 in 10 have no emergency savings

21% don’t save any of their annual income

20% save 5% or less

28% save 6-10%

10% save 11-15%

Only 16% of Americans are saving more than 15%.

70% arent saving enough.

Yet the CEOs of the companies these people work for have never been richer.

America was great when 35% of our workforce were in unions. Today 10% are in unions. And in those 30 years labor has gotten screwed but ceo bonus’ have skyrocketed. The rich have waged war on the middle class because we made too much.

So they hired illegals to do jobs Americans did and sent manufacturing jobs overseas.

Trump may bring manufacturing jobs home but will the jobs pay well?
I haven't noticed any cuts to Social Security or Medicare and America was great because it had no competition from the forties to the early sixties which was the heyday of the unions, not because of the unions. As for savings, the president has nothing to do with that, saving is a part of lifestyle, people who save chose to not indulge their every whim and save money by only doing necessary things. I've never had problems saving, but I tended to drive cars until the wheels fell off rather than buy new ones every time I paid one off. I never took expensive vacations, didn't buy expensive clothes or haircuts. I was raised poor so I learned how to economize and spend my money wisely once I managed to move up into the middle class.
aHow old are you? What did you do for a living? What annual income?
I'm 67 now, I was a Systems Tech for a TELCO because I sacrificed to get a good job. As to what I made, it's none of your business, but I made a good middle class income by working hard.
Point is, your generation was paid well. No shit you saved. And remember getting 10% on saving accounts? Did you go to college? You didn’t have to back then. And if you did, it was inexpensive"

You boomers are the absolute worst
No my generation wasn't paid well. When I was in high school a house in Los Angeles cost 13,000.00 by the time I got out of the military and saved enough to even think about a house, the same house cost over a hundred grand. I saved by sacrificing and 10% interest on savings went out when I was a kid, after high school it was more like one to three percent and during my working years it dropped to nearly nothing. I lived with rampant inflation through my early working life where everything went up except wages. I went to a J.C. because as a poor kid, I couldn't afford a four year school even with the meager VA benefits I earned during the Vietnam War. You kids think you have it bad, but compared to the people who came of age between 1920 and 1960 you have it great. You just never learned how to take advantage of it, you run up huge debts for school and consumer items and blame others for your improvidance.

Give me a break, there hasn't been a trustworthy president since Teddy Roosevelt, and few before him. Washington was trustworthy, as was John Adams, Jefferson was brilliant but I wouldn't trust him to run an orgy in a whorehouse. By any reasonable standard Lincoln was a dictator who jailed his opponents and newspaper editors that were critical of him, yes he was fighting for the survival of the Union at the time but that doesn't excuse his actions. FDR ignored any law that got in the way of his own vision of America, should I go on?

I vote for the one who will first most benefit me and mine, and the nation.

The Democrats have nothing to offer to either.
You must be upper middle class because republicans have the rest of amErica surviving on crumbs.

Cuts to social security and Medicare

3 in 10 have no emergency savings

21% don’t save any of their annual income

20% save 5% or less

28% save 6-10%

10% save 11-15%

Only 16% of Americans are saving more than 15%.

70% arent saving enough.

Yet the CEOs of the companies these people work for have never been richer.

America was great when 35% of our workforce were in unions. Today 10% are in unions. And in those 30 years labor has gotten screwed but ceo bonus’ have skyrocketed. The rich have waged war on the middle class because we made too much.

So they hired illegals to do jobs Americans did and sent manufacturing jobs overseas.

Trump may bring manufacturing jobs home but will the jobs pay well?
I haven't noticed any cuts to Social Security or Medicare and America was great because it had no competition from the forties to the early sixties which was the heyday of the unions, not because of the unions. As for savings, the president has nothing to do with that, saving is a part of lifestyle, people who save chose to not indulge their every whim and save money by only doing necessary things. I've never had problems saving, but I tended to drive cars until the wheels fell off rather than buy new ones every time I paid one off. I never took expensive vacations, didn't buy expensive clothes or haircuts. I was raised poor so I learned how to economize and spend my money wisely once I managed to move up into the middle class.
aHow old are you? What did you do for a living? What annual income?
I'm 67 now, I was a Systems Tech for a TELCO because I sacrificed to get a good job. As to what I made, it's none of your business, but I made a good middle class income by working hard.
Point is, your generation was paid well. No shit you saved. And remember getting 10% on saving accounts? Did you go to college? You didn’t have to back then. And if you did, it was inexpensive"

You boomers are the absolute worst

Dang, one of those. Sure, we were all born with a golden spoon in our mouths, none of us saved, none of us went to college, everything was handed to us because everything was dirt cheap...dumbass.

How do you separate the "man" from his policies? The argument is really about separating political loyalty from common sense. Democrat activists are determined to vote for a candidate who can't remember where he is not to mention his policies.

It is the person and not the policies that deal with crises. We've all seen how Trump deals with crisis. He attacks the victims, ignores the problem, and then demands apologies. Zero character, zero honor. That's more than enough reason not to vote for him.
Exactly.

As a former Democrat, now stanch independent, I only vote on policies not the person. Ones record is taken into consideration when validating ones policies, promises. Trump has a three year record, Biden a carrier spent milking the cow and financially feathering the bed of his children, family members, and himself, at our expense.

45 was handed a 4.5% Unemployment Rate. It is now at ove 11%.

Record deficits - 45.

Yeah, great economy.

All that matters to me is this, and I been stating it often in my short time here. Society is so superficial that they don't have time to dig through the top layer, which happens to be blunt and boisterous.

I didn't like Trump or Hillary, and didn't vote for either.

Trump's policies and actions (aside from words) have proven that he was the right choice then, and certainly now.

Both. Leader must have good policies and the courage to fight the liberal establishment trying to stop them.

As a former Democrat, now stanch independent, I only vote on policies not the person. Ones record is taken into consideration when validating ones policies, promises. Trump has a three year record, Biden a carrier spent milking the cow and financially feathering the bed of his children, family members, and himself, at our expense.

45 was handed a 4.5% Unemployment Rate. It is now at ove 11%.

Record deficits - 45.

Yeah, great economy.
Chinese virus put a hit on the economy.

What policies?

Trump is an egomaniacal jerk, almost a stereotypical New Yorker. As a person I dislike him. But, based upon his accomplishments, I think he's been a better than average president and head and shoulders above what Biden or Hillary could accomplish with their political double-speak and avoidance of hard decisions.
What accomplishments? Drastically increasing debt?
However, all his failures are eclipsed by his failed response to cornovirus which has cost 200,000 American lives and which will most likely hit over 250,000 before the end of the year. We have never had a president who failed so badly.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back