Zone1 Should the Navajo nation be granted Colorado River water rights?

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
I guess I'll start a thread here that is not about Black-White relations. It appears there's a case being heard in the Supreme Court about granting Colorado River water rights to the Navajo nation since about 100,000 Navajo do not have access to running water. The Colorado River is already being bled dry by drought conditions and California (primarily). Personally I'd like to see them get water rights, but imo it should come out of California's allocation. What do you all think? Should they be granted water rights to the Colorado River? Another alternative?

I guess I'll start a thread here that is not about Black-White relations. It appears there's a case being heard in the Supreme Court about granting Colorado River water rights to the Navajo nation since about 100,000 Navajo do not have access to running water. The Colorado River is already being bled dry by drought conditions and California (primarily). Personally I'd like to see them get water rights, but imo it should come out of California's allocation. What do you all think? Should they be granted water rights to the Colorado River? Another alternative?

This is the latest on the distribution of the water.

I guess I'll start a thread here that is not about Black-White relations. It appears there's a case being heard in the Supreme Court about granting Colorado River water rights to the Navajo nation since about 100,000 Navajo do not have access to running water.
Can you imagine if they did this to an island of black people???!

The Colorado River is already being bled dry by drought conditions and California (primarily). Personally I'd like to see them get water rights, but imo it should come out of California's allocation. What do you all think? Should they be granted water rights to the Colorado River? Another alternative?
They should probably be given ALL of the Colorado River rights. We stole it from them. We herded them onto worthless land and have treated them like animals. Let THEM decide what to allocate to the rest of us! Had this been done in the first place, the Colorado river would still be healthy and run all the way into Mexico like it used to and we never could have developed California to the artificial, unsustainable level it is.

Let all the arrogant Hollywood types figure it out for themselves or move, and let California return to what it should be, or let CA build desalination plants.

I would say they have more of a right than southern California does, by a long shot. But CAlifonia has a ton of Congressional seats Navajos don't. Guess who wins that fight. Do away with counting criminal illegal aliens and their anchor babies and Cali loses a lot of seats and can't extort the rest of the country quite as lucratively as their Federal vermin do now.

Southern California can get its water from northern California. Southern California looks like a giant gravel pit in the best of years, it's frigging desert, and so would the Imperial Valley be. Why they're wasting water on such a worthless crop like iceberg lettuce in a drought is beyond idiocy; it has little nutritional value and eats up enormous amount of water, just to name one insane waste CAlifornia perpetuates. They have more than enough water in their own state, and waste amazing amounts of it already.

A worthless crop we could live entirely without. Romaine lettuce has over 6 times the nutritional values that iceberg has. Just one example.

Then there are all the swimming pools in SoCAl, and the miniature oceans in Beverly Hills, Malibu, etc.

Last edited:
I love western water rights threads.....Meanwhile the Shenandoah River runs by my place in it's millions of gallons and I don't use a drop of it.

Here's a link OP.

Supreme Court hears Navajo Nation case for access to Colorado River water

By treaty they have a case.

In 1849 and 1868, the Navajo Nation signed two treaties with the United States. The treaties created a reservation that would serve as a “permanent home” for the Navajo so long as the tribe allowed settlers to live on most of its traditional territory, which include much of what is currently New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado. The treaties also established that the government would provide the Navajo with “seeds and agricultural implements” to raise crops on the reservation.

What, did they expect the Navajo to spit on the seeds?

• Banned
Can you imagine if they did this to an island of black people???!

They should probably be given ALL of the Colorado River rights. We stole it from them. We herded them onto worthless land and have treated them like animals. Let THEM decide what to allocate to the rest of us! Had this been done in the first place, the Colorado river would still be healthy and run all the way into Mexico like it used to and we never could have developed California to the artificial, unsustainable level it is.

Let all the arrogant Hollywood types figure it out for themselves or move, and let California return to what it should be, or let CA build desalination plants.
In philosophy, I agree with what you say. But that would have needed to happen decades ago before the Southwestern states started sucking the Colorado River dry, including my state.California has 40 million people and grass lawns everywhere you look. At least in my Az city, most of the folks have natural desert yards.

I think they should. However, the problem isn't about race at all. The tribe is attempting to play that card, and I hope they are successful.
The problem is an antiquated system of apportioning water rights. Presently California owns Colorado River water as far inland as Colorado. Even the water that the Navajo take from the Animas river and the San Juan River are subject to California claims as they are part of the Colorado watershed.
If the Navajo are successful with this case, it will affect most of the southwest. Last year the federal government decreed that all states and entities with an interest in the Colorado River Basin water work out a plan to modernize the way the water is apportioned. The only entity to refuse this decree is the state of California.
That brought about the Navajo Nation bringing this suit. Because of their status as a sovereign nation, they get their case to the supreme court right away. It should be noted that all the states EXCEPT California, involved in the Colorado River compact, (Arizona, Nevada, Utah, new Mexico and Colorado) support the Navajo Nation in various ways in this endeavor to force California to the bargaining table.
It isn't about race, but race is being used to force this issue.

I should add that all the other tribal governments support the Navajo in this suit as well. If you know anything about this area, this is historic. This is the only thing that has brought the Navajo and the Utes to the table on the SAME side!
Also, it isn't about running water or how many Navajo homes are without it. That is unlikely to change if they win in court.
The water they want is to power the turbines at Glen Canyon damn in Page.

love western water rights threads.....Meanwhile the Shenandoah River runs by my place in it's millions of gallons and I don't use a drop of it.

75% of the country lives east of the Mississippi, and west of that is mostly arid plains and desert. Tha might give people some idea of why sane people don't want oil and the Canadian Govt.'s toxic sludge pipelines running directly over the rare aquifers out west. A lot more business and farming depends on aquifiiers than they do foreign owned pipelines that don't add hardly anything to our economy, especially ones that run to duty free ports.

I think they should. However, the problem isn't about race at all. The tribe is attempting to play that card, and I hope they are successful.
The problem is an antiquated system of apportioning water rights. Presently California owns Colorado River water as far inland as Colorado. Even the water that the Navajo take from the Animas river and the San Juan River are subject to California claims as they are part of the Colorado watershed.
If the Navajo are successful with this case, it will affect most of the southwest. Last year the federal government decreed that all states and entities with an interest in the Colorado River Basin water work out a plan to modernize the way the water is apportioned. The only entity to refuse this decree is the state of California.
That brought about the Navajo Nation bringing this suit. Because of their status as a sovereign nation, they get their case to the supreme court right away. It should be noted that all the states EXCEPT California, involved in the Colorado River compact, (Arizona, Nevada, Utah, new Mexico and Colorado) support the Navajo Nation in various ways in this endeavor to force California to the bargaining table.
It isn't about race, but race is being used to force this issue.
You make a fair point that putting this subject in the Race Relations thread is a stretch. Being an Arizona resident for decades, the Colorado River Basin issues are of particular interest to me. The feeder lakes are at danger levels due to drought AND the failure to manage the growth and use of water by the SW states ESPECIALLY California. The fact that they are the primary problem and refuse to be part of the solution is disgraceful. We need a sane and serious conservation plan NOW and the Navajo nation should be granted access to the river water imo.

You make a fair point that putting this subject in the Race Relations thread is a stretch. Being an Arizona resident for decades, the Colorado River Basin issues are of particular interest to me. The feeder lakes are at danger levels due to drought AND the failure to manage the growth and use of water by the SW states ESPECIALLY California. The fact that they are the primary problem and refuse to be part of the solution is disgraceful. We need a sane and serious conservation plan NOW and the Navajo nation should be granted access to the river water imo.
You make a good point about California. When the rights were apportioned, California had the people and money to push through what agreement is in place. One major point is that California takes their water in acre-feet, and the rest of the entities receive a percentage.
That is outdated and that agreement is been acknowledged to apportion water that never existed in the first place.
In everything else, California claims "we must change because of climate change".
It seems extremely disingenuous that in respect to Colorado River water, California seems to be saying " nothing has changed ".
Edited to add:
Water apportioned under the Colorado River compact includes all the water in the entire Colorado River drainage. If a raindrop falls, and eventually ends up in the Colorado River, it is included.

In philosophy, I agree with what you say. But that would have needed to happen decades ago before the Southwestern states started sucking the Colorado River dry, including my state.California has 40 million people and grass lawns everywhere you look. At least in my Az city, most of the folks have natural desert yards.

I should add that all the other tribal governments support the Navajo in this suit as well. If you know anything about this area, this is historic. This is the only thing that has brought the Navajo and the Utes to the table on the SAME side!
Also, it isn't about running water or how many Navajo homes are without it. That is unlikely to change if they win in court.
The water they want is to power the turbines at Glen Canyon damn in Page.

mw9jwvgo5l7b1.jpg

I love western water rights threads.....Meanwhile the Shenandoah River runs by my place in it's millions of gallons and I don't use a drop of it.

Here's a link OP.

Supreme Court hears Navajo Nation case for access to Colorado River water

By treaty they have a case.

In 1849 and 1868, the Navajo Nation signed two treaties with the United States. The treaties created a reservation that would serve as a “permanent home” for the Navajo so long as the tribe allowed settlers to live on most of its traditional territory, which include much of what is currently New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, and Colorado. The treaties also established that the government would provide the Navajo with “seeds and agricultural implements” to raise crops on the reservation.

What, did they expect the Navajo to spit on the seeds?
Different water rights in the West.

Sad, but that's the decision.

Btw, the area of navajoland is not all sand.
Of course ignorance of the facts is no reason to stop posting pictures and opinions that have no factual basis. It's what xenophobic idiots do.
Carry on.

Forum List

Back