Should Obama Visit Tehran?

Last edited:
why would he need to visit when he's getting daily instructions from them already?
What are the voices telling him?

"The Russian and U.S. presidents, Vladimir Putin and Barack Obama, have spoken by telephone about preparations for the UN-backed Syrian peace conference that is due to begin in Switzerland on January 22. "

Bring your snowboards?:cuckoo:

Putin, Obama Speak Ahead Of Syria Peace Conference

Obammy should go. As a taxpayer In this case I will be glad to foot the bill.
Would you pay him to visit Damascus?

That would be a guaranteed 12 gun salute.
Not if Putin joins him in Damascus.

"Russia supports the Syrian government while Washington backs Syria's moderate rebels. But the two powers have jointly pressured Syria's warring parties to pursue negotiations."

Putin, Obama Speak Ahead Of Syria Peace Conference

Would you pay him to visit Damascus?

Obama would be happier in Damascus once the government is overthrown, he's clearly a Sunni and not a Shiite. He did try, but Putin dominated his ass on that that standoff.
Obama and Putin should sit Assad down and dominate his ass.

Putin is pro-Shiite, Obama is pro-Sunni. Assad is Shiite, which is why Putin wanted him to stay and Obama wanted him to go. Putin kicked Obama's ass. Why would he suddenly change sides after he won and hand Obama a victory? Leftists really want everything handed to you, don't you?

Not me.
All politicians lie.
Considering the fact the Iran has zero nuclear weapons and Israel has dozens, I fault Obama more for failing to hold the Jews to the same standards as the Persians.
But Obama would probably lie just a profusely in defense of the Jewish state.
What if Iran had dozens of nuclear weapons and Israel had zero, would that make you happy?
Iran, and I would be happy to see a nuclear weapons-free Middle East.
Israel and the US disagree.
Based on the Cold War between the US and USSR, mutual assured destruction (MAD) might be the next best choice.

The threat of Destruction does not work on insane people who believe that their own death, in the process of all killing non-Muslims is the surest way to Paradise and 72 year old virgins.

Seeing as he can't run again I doubt she gives a shit.
If Obama moves to Tehran, Biden moves into the White House.

Hell, I say give Uncle Joe a shot at it. Undoubtedly, he would be an improvement over Obama by just showing up

-Geaux

The Chinese have a reputation of being stoic, serious, humorless and inscrutable, but even they enjoy a good chuckle once in a while.

Yeah, send Joe and let them laugh out loud.

Obama would be happier in Damascus once the government is overthrown, he's clearly a Sunni and not a Shiite. He did try, but Putin dominated his ass on that that standoff.

Putin is pro-Shiite, Obama is pro-Sunni. Assad is Shiite, which is why Putin wanted him to stay and Obama wanted him to go. Putin kicked Obama's ass. Why would he suddenly change sides after he won and hand Obama a victory? Leftists really want everything handed to you, don't you?
While the Right can't hold conflicting thoughts in their "minds" at the same time.

"Putin regularly attends the most important services of the Russian Orthodox Church on the main Orthodox Christian holidays. He established a good relationship with Patriarchs of the Russian Church, the late Alexy II of Moscow and the current Kirill of Moscow. As President, he took an active personal part in promoting the Act of Canonical Communion with the Moscow Patriarchate, signed 17 May 2007 that restored relations between the Moscow-based Russian Orthodox Church and the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia after the 80-year schism.[145]"

Putin might be agreeable to a power sharing arrangement in Syria in exchange for a Saudi guarantee of a terrorism free Winter Olympics

Vladimir Putin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While the Right can't hold conflicting thoughts in their "minds" at the same time.

"Putin regularly attends the most important services of the Russian Orthodox Church on the main Orthodox Christian holidays. He established a good relationship with Patriarchs of the Russian Church, the late Alexy II of Moscow and the current Kirill of Moscow. As President, he took an active personal part in promoting the Act of Canonical Communion with the Moscow Patriarchate, signed 17 May 2007 that restored relations between the Moscow-based Russian Orthodox Church and the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia after the 80-year schism.[145]"

Putin might be agreeable to a power sharing arrangement in Syria in exchange for a Saudi guarantee of a terrorism free Winter Olympics

I didn't talk about Putin's religion, I said he's "pro-Shiite." Look dude, if you want to understand the Middle East better than you do, which granted now is very little, you have to understand the religion. Iran is Russia's biggest ally. They are Shiite. Assad is Shiite. The Rebels are Sunni. Assad is allies with Iran.

If Putin were to help topple Assad, that would do nothing but damage to Russian interests in the region. We can debate what he "should" do, but

1) Putin won
2) He has the best situation for himself now.

Why would he fall on a sword for Bush League Obama who's ass he just kicked and harm Russia's interest in the process? What would he get out of that?

What if Iran had dozens of nuclear weapons and Israel had zero, would that make you happy?
Iran, and I would be happy to see a nuclear weapons-free Middle East.
Israel and the US disagree.
Based on the Cold War between the US and USSR, mutual assured destruction (MAD) might be the next best choice.

The threat of Destruction does not work on insane people who believe that their own death, in the process of all killing non-Muslims is the surest way to Paradise and 72 year old virgins.
What percentage of the richest 1% of Persians are enthralled by the prospect of a 72 year-old virgin? The notion that Iranians are lead by suicidal fanatics is just another AIPAC lie.

I didn't talk about Putin's religion, I said he's "pro-Shiite." Look dude, if you want to understand the Middle East better than you do, which granted now is very little, you have to understand the religion. Iran is Russia's biggest ally. They are Shiite. Assad is Shiite. The Rebels are Sunni. Assad is allies with Iran.

If Putin were to help topple Assad, that would do nothing but damage to Russian interests in the region. We can debate what he "should" do, but

1) Putin won

Why would he fall on a sword for Bush League Obama who's ass he just kicked and harm Russia's interest in the process? What would he get out of that?
I never said anything about toppling Assad.
Putin and Obama could make it clear to the dictator he will agree to a power-sharing arrangement in Syria or stay alive just long enough to watch his family die.
Putin is a realist (at least) who recognizes he needs Sunni help to keep his Winter Olympics from turning into The Terror Games.
I don't know where you got the idea you know anything about the Middle East since there's very little evidence of knowledge in your posts.

1) Putin won

Putin and Obama could make it clear to the dictator he will agree to a power-sharing arrangement in Syria or stay alive just long enough to watch his family die.
Putin is a realist (at least) who recognizes he needs Sunni help to keep his Winter Olympics from turning into The Terror Games.
I don't know where you got the idea you know anything about the Middle East since there's very little evidence of knowledge in your posts.[/color]

LOL, a distinction without a difference. Yes, they "could" do that. I already told you why Putin won't. He won, he has everything he wants, you're asking him to give that up hoping he loves Obama as much as you do. He doesn't. Re-read what I explained to you, but only if you care about learning something instead of repeating your leftist dogma.

And no way "should" Putin or Obama do that, the rebels are Al Qaeda backed terrorists. While I don't want to be in the Middle East making every terrorist our enemy, I certainly don't want to actually help them like you and Obama want to do.

Last edited:

1) Putin won

I don't know where you got the idea you know anything about the Middle East since there's very little evidence of knowledge in your posts.[/color]

LOL, a distinction without a difference. Yes, they "could" do that. I already told you why Putin won't. He won, he has everything he wants, you're asking him to give that up hoping he loves Obama as much as you do. He doesn't. Re-read what I explained to you, but only if you care about learning something instead of repeating your leftist dogma.

And no way "should" Putin or Obama do that, the rebels are Al Qaeda backed terrorists. While I don't want to be in the Middle East making every terrorist our enemy, I certainly don't want to actually help them like you and Obama want to do.
What percentage of Syrian rebels opposing Assad are al-Qa'ida?
Whatever it is that you imagine Putin "won" in Syria had more to do with poking Obama in the eye than supporting Assad who poses no threat to the upcoming Winter Games. Russia made it clear last March Assad must be included in any transitional arrangement leading to a new government. Putin is opposed to forcible regime change in Syria, not any negotiated change that doesn't alter Russians access to its naval base at Tartus or spill over into the North Caucasus republics. Putin recognizes a simple fact you may have missed; Syria is the latest blood-bath in a global, multi-decade fight between secular states and Sunni Islam which first began in Afghanistan with the Taliban, and I'm sure we both know which state started that fiasco.(it wasn't 15 Saudis with magical boxcutters)

Should Obama take a page out of Nixon's playbook and visit Iran within the next three years?

Stranger things have happened:

"A visit to Tehran by President Obama is no longer impossible, according to experts and former officials.

"While an Obama trip there in the next three years remains a long shot, neither the White House nor Iran’s new president will categorically rule it out.

"Other observers say what once seemed unimaginable is now possible.

“'Stranger things have happened,' said Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-Va.), a senior member of the House Foreign Affairs panel. 'We’ve shown an ability to re-pivot in our relationships with bitter, violent adversaries.'

"Graffiti vowing 'Death to America' still covers Tehran, and the 34th anniversary of the 1979 takeover of the embassy last month drew the biggest anti-American rally in years..."

"'We’re at a place in our dealings with the Iranians that six months ago would have been unimaginable,' said John Limbert, a retired U.S. diplomat who was one of the 52 hostages held for 444 days by Iranian students who took over the U.S. embassy in 1979..."

"Observers say it’s largely up to Iran to convince the U.S. and its allies, including Israel, of its peaceful intentions.

“'Can I see a future where Iran and the United States have reestablished and normalized their relations in some fashion? My answer is decidedly yes,' Connolly said. 'But it requires this dynamic to take hold.'”

Obama in Tehran ? could it happen? | TheHill

Jimmy Carter was the last US president to visit Iran.
Should Obama be the next?
Do I think President Obama should visit Tehran?

No. No I don't.
$T2eC16dHJHgFFl)TZFk8BSRzEs4JhQ~~60_35.JPG

Forum List

Back