Should Obama Visit Tehran?

Should Obama take a page out of Nixon's playbook and visit Iran within the next three years?

Stranger things have happened:

"A visit to Tehran by President Obama is no longer impossible, according to experts and former officials.

"While an Obama trip there in the next three years remains a long shot, neither the White House nor Iran’s new president will categorically rule it out.

"Other observers say what once seemed unimaginable is now possible.

“'Stranger things have happened,' said Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-Va.), a senior member of the House Foreign Affairs panel. 'We’ve shown an ability to re-pivot in our relationships with bitter, violent adversaries.'

"Graffiti vowing 'Death to America' still covers Tehran, and the 34th anniversary of the 1979 takeover of the embassy last month drew the biggest anti-American rally in years..."

"'We’re at a place in our dealings with the Iranians that six months ago would have been unimaginable,' said John Limbert, a retired U.S. diplomat who was one of the 52 hostages held for 444 days by Iranian students who took over the U.S. embassy in 1979..."

"Observers say it’s largely up to Iran to convince the U.S. and its allies, including Israel, of its peaceful intentions.

“'Can I see a future where Iran and the United States have reestablished and normalized their relations in some fashion? My answer is decidedly yes,' Connolly said. 'But it requires this dynamic to take hold.'”

Obama in Tehran ? could it happen? | TheHill

Jimmy Carter was the last US president to visit Iran.
Should Obama be the next?
Do I think President Obama should visit Tehran?

No. No I don't.
$T2eC16dHJHgFFl)TZFk8BSRzEs4JhQ~~60_35.JPG
The whole situation with Iran and the entire ME is a mess...so I don't know what purpose such a visit would serve especially with Iran's record of killing Americans either directly or indirectly. We should be tightening the screws on the weirdbeard Mullahs.

Our mistake was doing nothing when Tehran was sending super-IEDs to trigger-happy terrorists to tear through the new upgraded Humvees our soldiers were outfitted with in Iraq. It is estimated that Iran provided the materials that killed 4,000 troops that were sent FOB to their fellow extremists. They committed terrorist acts against American troops by proxy in this provision, and I'm mad as hell Obama is contemplating such a foolhardy idea as to go over there and think the Iranians will instantly forgive him for America enforcing blockades in and out of Iran for years. If he does, the 400 people he takes everywhere with him on trips will be taken out too.

I don't want Iran in charge of hundreds of Americans' lives ever again, and Obama, if he doesn't care about himself, should not be putting every one of his assistants' lives on the line, too.

The Iranians "have not said" they would like to wipe Israel and the United States off the face of the map, and they "have not been saying it" 5 times a day for the last 15 years, at least. :rolleyes:

I never said anything about toppling Assad.
Putin and Obama could make it clear to the dictator he will agree to a power-sharing arrangement in Syria or stay alive just long enough to watch his family die.
Putin is a realist (at least) who recognizes he needs Sunni help to keep his Winter Olympics from turning into The Terror Games.
I don't know where you got the idea you know anything about the Middle East since there's very little evidence of knowledge in your posts.[/color]

LOL, a distinction without a difference. Yes, they "could" do that. I already told you why Putin won't. He won, he has everything he wants, you're asking him to give that up hoping he loves Obama as much as you do. He doesn't. Re-read what I explained to you, but only if you care about learning something instead of repeating your leftist dogma.

And no way "should" Putin or Obama do that, the rebels are Al Qaeda backed terrorists. While I don't want to be in the Middle East making every terrorist our enemy, I certainly don't want to actually help them like you and Obama want to do.
What percentage of Syrian rebels opposing Assad are al-Qa'ida?
Whatever it is that you imagine Putin "won" in Syria had more to do with poking Obama in the eye than supporting Assad who poses no threat to the upcoming Winter Games. Russia made it clear last March Assad must be included in any transitional arrangement leading to a new government. Putin is opposed to forcible regime change in Syria, not any negotiated change that doesn't alter Russians access to its naval base at Tartus or spill over into the North Caucasus republics. Putin recognizes a simple fact you may have missed; Syria is the latest blood-bath in a global, multi-decade fight between secular states and Sunni Islam which first began in Afghanistan with the Taliban, and I'm sure we both know which state started that fiasco.(it wasn't 15 Saudis with magical boxcutters)

Since you either can't or won't grasp the most basic dynamic in the middle east, which is Sunni versus Shiite, your opinion is irrelevant.

LOL, a distinction without a difference. Yes, they "could" do that. I already told you why Putin won't. He won, he has everything he wants, you're asking him to give that up hoping he loves Obama as much as you do. He doesn't. Re-read what I explained to you, but only if you care about learning something instead of repeating your leftist dogma.

And no way "should" Putin or Obama do that, the rebels are Al Qaeda backed terrorists. While I don't want to be in the Middle East making every terrorist our enemy, I certainly don't want to actually help them like you and Obama want to do.
Whatever it is that you imagine Putin "won" in Syria had more to do with poking Obama in the eye than supporting Assad who poses no threat to the upcoming Winter Games. Russia made it clear last March Assad must be included in any transitional arrangement leading to a new government. Putin is opposed to forcible regime change in Syria, not any negotiated change that doesn't alter Russians access to its naval base at Tartus or spill over into the North Caucasus republics. Putin recognizes a simple fact you may have missed; Syria is the latest blood-bath in a global, multi-decade fight between secular states and Sunni Islam which first began in Afghanistan with the Taliban, and I'm sure we both know which state started that fiasco.(it wasn't 15 Saudis with magical boxcutters)

Since you either can't or won't grasp the most basic dynamic in the middle east, which is Sunni versus Shiite, your opinion is irrelevant.
Why is it you seem incapable of admitting it is US intervention in Afghanistan and Iraq that fans the flames of Sunni v Sh'ia?

Should Obama take a page out of Nixon's playbook and visit Iran within the next three years?

Stranger things have happened:

"A visit to Tehran by President Obama is no longer impossible, according to experts and former officials.

"While an Obama trip there in the next three years remains a long shot, neither the White House nor Iran’s new president will categorically rule it out.

"Other observers say what once seemed unimaginable is now possible.

“'Stranger things have happened,' said Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-Va.), a senior member of the House Foreign Affairs panel. 'We’ve shown an ability to re-pivot in our relationships with bitter, violent adversaries.'

"Graffiti vowing 'Death to America' still covers Tehran, and the 34th anniversary of the 1979 takeover of the embassy last month drew the biggest anti-American rally in years..."

"'We’re at a place in our dealings with the Iranians that six months ago would have been unimaginable,' said John Limbert, a retired U.S. diplomat who was one of the 52 hostages held for 444 days by Iranian students who took over the U.S. embassy in 1979..."

"Observers say it’s largely up to Iran to convince the U.S. and its allies, including Israel, of its peaceful intentions.

“'Can I see a future where Iran and the United States have reestablished and normalized their relations in some fashion? My answer is decidedly yes,' Connolly said. 'But it requires this dynamic to take hold.'”

Obama in Tehran ? could it happen? | TheHill

Jimmy Carter was the last US president to visit Iran.
Should Obama be the next?

Yes he should...and he should stay there.

Pres. Obama visiting Iran would be a master stroke of diplomacy and raise America's standing in the world. ..... :thup:

I actually agree with this. Such visits in the past have made powerful impacts on the world stage. However, his words have to be carefully scripted. If the message is openness with the West it could pay off.

Pres. Obama visiting Iran would be a master stroke of diplomacy and raise America's standing in the world. ..... :thup:

I actually agree with this. Such visits in the past have made powerful impacts on the world stage. However, his words have to be carefully scripted. If the message is openness with the West it could pay off.

Scripted as in 2009 at Cairo University?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_889oBKkNU&feature=player_embedded#t=4"]President Obama Speech to Muslim World in Cairo - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_889oBKkNU&feature=player_embedded#t=4"]President Obama Speech to Muslim World in Cairo - YouTube[/ame]

No of course not. My point is this would be a good diplomatic move. There are a lot of young people in Iran who want openness with the West. That message would sell. Diplomacy is a calculated risk, but this would be a good one to take if the situation presented itself.

No of course not. My point is this would be a good diplomatic move. There are a lot of young people in Iran who want openness with the West. That message would sell. Diplomacy is a calculated risk, but this would be a good one to take if the situation presented itself.

Ok. But as his history has shown us? His 'moves' have created more problems. I don't trust the man or his motives. the ME is a mess precisely for his moves that weren't in our interests but that of the Muslim Brotherhood in which he supports, and has had to the WH too many times.

Obama himself is suspect.

Maybe he could sell some Iranian young people on obamacare...he needs help desperately....

Should Obama Visit Tehran?

If they were to take him hostage, would the State Department send in a rescue team?

Maybe he could sell some Iranian young people on obamacare...he needs help desperately....

:eusa_dance:

Ok. But as his history has shown us? His 'moves' have created more problems. I don't trust the man or his motives. the ME is a mess precisely for his moves that weren't in our interests but that of the Muslim Brotherhood in which he supports, and has had to the WH too many times.

Obama himself is suspect.

I get what you're saying but if handled right with the correct message it could be a huge win.

Why is it you seem incapable of admitting it is US intervention in Afghanistan and Iraq that fans the flames of Sunni v Sh'ia?

Wow, you looked up some terms and used them in a complete gibberish sequence. Regarding Syria, you demonstrate again how clueless you are about it. To your quote "Whatever it is that you imagine Putin "won" in Syria had more to do with poking Obama in the eye than supporting Assad."

1) Putin has extensive oil contracts with Shiite Iran. Assad is Shiite. Syria is primarily Sunni. It's critical to Iran that Assad stay in power. They are nuts, Putin wants Assad stable and in power to keep Iran out of a conflict that could jeopardize their oil interests.

2) Assad is blocking a pipeline from the gulf to Europe. Now the only major pipeline goes through the north and carries massive amounts of Russian oil. Russia does not want a southern pipeline because of competition and the price pressure. A Sunni government would immediately allow it.

3) Russia's primary military presence is in Syria. If the Sunnis take over, they are probably going to kick Shiite allied Russia out.

Obama is backing the Sunnis, Putin backed Assad, the Shiite. Putin has everything now. The Iranians aren't in a destabilizing war, the Russians are proceeding with their Iranian oil contracts, the Sunni pipeline from the south is blocked and they have their military base intact. It's not about giving Obama a black eye, that's just a bonus.

But according to you, he'd give all that up and share power. No freaking way, Virginia. Putin is major leagues, Obama is rookie league. Obama's getting schooled and Putin's not going to just say, just kidding, let's split this pig. Please.

Forum List

Back