She said: "I believe things happen for a reason"...

...I said: "I don't know about that."

My life has been one disaster after another, culminating in my wife leaving me.

Now, things seem to be going good: new job, new book I'm writing, a woman who might become my new girlfriend.

All these new good things are causing me a new kind of stress: I'm worried that, once again, things will go wrong and I will lose them.

The new woman in my life says she believes "things happen for a reason."

I guess, if I was honest, I'd say: "that is not necessarily so."
Cause, and effect are a legitimate reason. Not to be confused with sound reasoning...
Yes, I believe in cause and effect.

But believing that every event is part of God's plan is not something I'm ready to accept.

And I think that's what she meant when she said "everything happens for a reason."
You're both looking at it wrong. Those aren't good things that are "HAPPENING to you". Those are good things that you ACCOMPLISHED. Be proud and enjoy them while they last.

Now, things seem to be going good: new job, new book I'm writing, a woman who might become my new girlfriend.

All these new good things are causing me a new kind of stress: I'm worried that, once again, things will go wrong and I will lose them.

Cause, and effect are a legitimate reason. Not to be confused with sound reasoning...

And I think that's what she meant when she said "everything happens for a reason."
What did you think your wife meant, when she said "untill death do us part"?
I have no idea what she meant because she gave up on this vow.
You learning yet?
Explain.
Like a dog to its own vomit; so too shall a fool return to his own folly...
So what's the folly I'm returning to?
Finding your anchor, and drive against a woman's word. A woman seeks to find a man who can be her anchor point in the maelstrom. Not to be the rock while you seek solace.
You sound like a man who's never actually had a real relationship with a woman.

That sounds like your description of yourself. From what I've read of your posts, I would say you are right.
OK well, you're a moron. I was married for nearly 30 years, so you don't know jack shit about me.

Correct. All I know about you is what you reveal yourself. You spent 30 years in a failed marriage attempt, and you still don't seem to realize how bad you sucked at it.

What did you think your wife meant, when she said "untill death do us part"?
I have no idea what she meant because she gave up on this vow.
You learning yet?
Explain.
Like a dog to its own vomit; so too shall a fool return to his own folly...
So what's the folly I'm returning to?
Finding your anchor, and drive against a woman's word. A woman seeks to find a man who can be her anchor point in the maelstrom. Not to be the rock while you seek solace.
You sound like a man who's never actually had a real relationship with a woman.

That sounds like your description of yourself. From what I've read of your posts, I would say you are right.
OK well, you're a moron. I was married for nearly 30 years, so you don't know jack shit about me.
And you're a fuckwad, by the way.

Fuck you, I'm putting you on ignore.

Thank you. Why didn't you tell me that is all it took before?

Well, everything does happen for a reason. We may not figure out that reason until much later. Later, you can look back and say, "Ah, had that not happened, then this couldn't have happened." No sense in looking back at this point in time. Move forward. One step at a time -- thankful for every single day you've been given.

Only you can make a difference, the difference, in your own life. You want to mess things up? Then you shall. You want to progress into a relatively happy and stable life? Then you'll do whatever it takes to hold and protect what you got. Just remember, life is generally not happy a place but it can be as happy or messed up as you want to make it.

We would need to know a great deal more about the universe in order to be certain "reason" is a term that applies.
The reverse is also true.

My theory of the universe is that there's a random element that thwarts us when we make plans.

My theory of the universe is that there's a random element that thwarts us when we make plans.
Thus we learn that every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Also, no good deed goes unpunished. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. What goes around comes around which means those who laugh will see tears, and those who mourn will be comforted. Such is the circle of life. And the song reminds us, "The first time that we said hello began our last goodbye."

What we should learn from all of this is to enjoy and celebrate our good times--do not take a minute of them for granted. And during the bad times...remember that we are blessed for we shall be comforted. Both these attitudes help ease fear and give us a boost in confidence that whatever it is that comes our way, God is with us and we can handle and grow from that phase in our life.

Perhaps therein lies your dilemma. If you look at the world around you as an opposing force to be confronted, all you will reap is resistance. But you you surrender yourself unto the world around you, and take your place within it; you just may find that the world around you conforms naturally to your will.

Forum List

Back