Seniors and the Stimulus

Porter Rockwell

Gold Member
Dec 14, 2018
I'n not keeping up, but Donald Trump wants to "give" every American $1000 to $2000. I don't know if this is abject stupidity OR just misapplied good intentions.

MILLIONS of people live on Social Security or Social Security Disability. If their only source of money coming in is their Social Security or Disability check, it is not income and they don't even have to file an income tax return (at least the people I know don't.) Now here is the problem:

The moment you get outside income, Social Security and Social Security Disability become "income." Since this stimulus will be handled by the IRS, they will label it income. Social Security and Disability checks will be taxable... including the stimulus. So, next year when the seniors fill out their tax forms, they will owe taxes... maybe more than what they got in the stimulus. So, they are going to be pretty well screwed. I spoke with some guy named "Kyle" in Senator David Perdue's Washington D.C. office and we had a long talk about it today. He even said seniors could not refuse the stimulus.

If seniors find out about this before the election, Joe Biden is your next president.

I'n not keeping up, but Donald Trump wants to "give" every American $1000 to $2000. I don't know if this is abject stupidity OR just misapplied good intentions.

MILLIONS of people live on Social Security or Social Security Disability. If their only source of money coming in is their Social Security or Disability check, it is not income and they don't even have to file an income tax return (at least the people I know don't.) Now here is the problem:

The moment you get outside income, Social Security and Social Security Disability become "income." Since this stimulus will be handled by the IRS, they will label it income. Social Security and Disability checks will be taxable... including the stimulus. So, next year when the seniors fill out their tax forms, they will owe taxes... maybe more than what they got in the stimulus. So, they are going to be pretty well screwed. I spoke with some guy named "Kyle" in Senator David Perdue's Washington D.C. office and we had a long talk about it today. He even said seniors could not refuse the stimulus.

If seniors find out about this before the election, Joe Biden is your next president.

Hate to break this to ya but they're already taxing SS.

SS is POSSIBLY taxable depending on your total retirement income. It is doubtful the tax on a couple thousand extra bucks is going to kick you to the curb regardless of where you are financially.

They still haven't figured out just who gets what yet. All sides are putting forth their proposals of plans, but nothing is a done deal yet

Not a problem, I have plenty of deductions to cover it.

SS is POSSIBLY taxable depending on your total retirement income. It is doubtful the tax on a couple thousand extra bucks is going to kick you to the curb regardless of where you are financially.

SS is my retirement income. It's taxed. Ironically I believe it was Reagan who did that. You know, the old guy.

• Banned

FALSE. If it is your sole source of income (at least with Social Security Disability) it is not taxable.

When Does a Senior Citizen on Social Security Stop Filing Taxes? - TurboTax Tax Tips & Videos

They still haven't figured out just who gets what yet. All sides are putting forth their proposals of plans, but nothing is a done deal yet

I've been informed as to what has and has not been considered. NOBODY considered what I said... at least according to a legislative aide in Washington, D.C. that reports to one of my U.S. Senators.

What do you mean they can't refuse the money?

They'll throw you in prison if you throw that check away? Or throw it in your sock drawer and forget about it?

Again, false. You're paying because you have additional income.

When Does a Senior Citizen on Social Security Stop Filing Taxes? - TurboTax Tax Tips & Videos

They'll throw you in prison if you throw that check away? Or throw it in your sock drawer and forget about it?

It will be transferred to your bank account electronically.

FALSE. If it is your sole source of income (at least with Social Security Disability) it is not taxable.

Oh I'm afraid it is. Got a bill last year from IRS too. Funny you should mention Turbo Tax --- that's what I used.

Oh I'm afraid it is. Got a bill last year from IRS too. Funny you should mention Turbo Tax --- that's what I used.

From the official IRS website (info is old, but the law is still in effect)

Are Social Security Benefits Taxable? | Internal Revenue Service

You need to talk to someone that does taxes for a living.

They cannot force me to accept money.

What if I don't have a bank account?

They send someone over to pull out my fingernails?

The law is clear. IF Social Security is you sole source of income, it's tax free. You don't file a tax return. If you receive other money, your Social Security benefits can then become taxable if that money AND your Social Security combined go over statutory limits. Social Security ain't income until you get outside income... then it's income.

They cannot force me to accept money.

What if I don't have a bank account?

They send someone over to pull out my fingernails?

Maybe they mail you a check in that case? This IS a census year you know. They will find you. Thank the Tea Party Republicans for that one. That SSN based ID is a ...

From the official IRS website (info is old, but the law is still in effect)

Are Social Security Benefits Taxable? | Internal Revenue Service

You need to talk to someone that does taxes for a living.

Oh no, I don't. I ain't paying money so I can pay more money. I did that once, the asshole left me with a tax bill I could have created myself. Never again.

The law is clear. IF Social Security is you sole source of income, it's tax free. You don't file a tax return. If you receive other money, your Social Security benefits can then become taxable if that money AND your Social Security combined go over statutory limits. Social Security ain't income until you get outside income... then it's income.
What about Civil Service?

Forum List

Back