Senate GOP discuss tying smaller COVID Relief Bill to a Stop-Gap Govt funding Bill

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
Senate Republicans are preparing to unveil a smaller coronavirus relief package as soon as Tuesday that is expected to include billions in new funds for the Postal Service.

In addition to $10 billion in post office funding, the Republican proposal is expected to include liability protections, a $300-per-week federal unemployment benefit, another round of Paycheck Protection Program funding, and additional money for coronavirus testing and schools, according to aides.

The bill is a pared-down version of the roughly $1 trillion package offered by Senate Republicans late last month, known as the HEALS Act, and comes as House Democrats are drafting their own stand-alone Postal Service bill.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) indicated while speaking in Kentucky earlier on Monday that Republicans and the administration were willing to direct roughly $10 billion in additional funding to the post office as part of coronavirus relief.

"The Postal Service is going to be just fine. We're going to make sure that the ability to function going into the election is not adversely affected," McConnell told reporters in Kentucky.

McConnell added that the $10 billion supported by the administration would be used "just to make sure the post office is on good firm footing going into the November election."

Where the GOP proposal — the details of which were first reported by Politico — goes from here is unclear. But GOP senators have been quietly discussing tying coronavirus relief to a stop-gap government funding bill that they have to pass by Sept. 30 in order to prevent a shutdown roughly a month before the November election.

I would not be at all surprised to see the Senate Dems shoot down the Senate Bill discussed above, but does the Senate need 60 votes for a Stop Gap Gov't Funding Bill? Not sure, but I suspect the GOP wants to put something out there before the election and blame the Dems for not passing it. Which of course is exactly what Nancy Pelosi and the Dems have been doing for some time now.

Obviously, the GOP has to do something, even if the Dems shoot it down. Certainly the Repubs cannot accept the House Dem Relief Bill at $3.4 trillion, that would be political suicide for them. And the Far Left is currently driving the bus for the Dems, and I don't think they'll settle for any compromise that isn't heavily in their favor. Maybe they'll work out a deal prior to the election, but it's all a political calculation on both sides to see who gets hurt the most if no deal gets done. Frankly, I think the Senate Majority is in play here.

I think it's interesting to see if the GOP has the balls to say no. And do the moderate Dems have the balls to stand up to the Far Left?

Guess we have to wait and see if more stimulus money is coming to Americans or not. Its smart politically but I doubt it goes anywhere in the house.

This morning I have read that the smaller GOP COVID Relief Bill won't have a 2nd round of stimulus checks in it. So that won't go over well with a lot of voters, but if they agree to those checks and the cost climbs to over $2 trillion then there are a number of other voters who won't like that either.

My guess is, with the elections coming up the GOP will agree to another round of checks going out, but not to a bailout to the states and certainly not to the repeal of the SALT deduction limit. I believe the Senate is still adjourned for the next 2 weeks, although McConnell could call them back to vote to a deal if one is reached. What I am sure of is that the Senate GOP will propose a Bill; maybe the Dems shoot it down but the Repubs can say we tried to pass something but the Dems wanted all kinds of giveaways that had nothing to do with the Coronavirus. So then some time will pass while each side decides what is in their best interests to do or not do. Their best interests, not ours. Maybe something will be agreed to before the election and maybe not.

Last edited:
Hopefully, Pelosi will block the bill when it reaches the House.

For once, make Moscow Mitch send the House a clean bill, without multi-billions-of-borrowed dollars earmarked as tax-free gifts for America's 600 or so billionaires.

Instead, give those multi-billions-of-borrowed dollars to the 250 million Americans hardest hit by the impeached president trump's COVID-19 plague.

Senate Republicans are preparing to unveil a smaller coronavirus relief package as soon as Tuesday that is expected to include billions in new funds for the Postal Service.

In addition to $10 billion in post office funding, the Republican proposal is expected to include liability protections, a $300-per-week federal unemployment benefit, another round of Paycheck Protection Program funding, and additional money for coronavirus testing and schools, according to aides.

The bill is a pared-down version of the roughly $1 trillion package offered by Senate Republicans late last month, known as the HEALS Act, and comes as House Democrats are drafting their own stand-alone Postal Service bill.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) indicated while speaking in Kentucky earlier on Monday that Republicans and the administration were willing to direct roughly $10 billion in additional funding to the post office as part of coronavirus relief.

"The Postal Service is going to be just fine. We're going to make sure that the ability to function going into the election is not adversely affected," McConnell told reporters in Kentucky.

McConnell added that the $10 billion supported by the administration would be used "just to make sure the post office is on good firm footing going into the November election."

Where the GOP proposal — the details of which were first reported by Politico — goes from here is unclear. But GOP senators have been quietly discussing tying coronavirus relief to a stop-gap government funding bill that they have to pass by Sept. 30 in order to prevent a shutdown roughly a month before the November election.

I would not be at all surprised to see the Senate Dems shoot down the Senate Bill discussed above, but does the Senate need 60 votes for a Stop Gap Gov't Funding Bill? Not sure, but I suspect the GOP wants to put something out there before the election and blame the Dems for not passing it. Which of course is exactly what Nancy Pelosi and the Dems have been doing for some time now.

Obviously, the GOP has to do something, even if the Dems shoot it down. Certainly the Repubs cannot accept the House Dem Relief Bill at $3.4 trillion, that would be political suicide for them. And the Far Left is currently driving the bus for the Dems, and I don't think they'll settle for any compromise that isn't heavily in their favor. Maybe they'll work out a deal prior to the election, but it's all a political calculation on both sides to see who gets hurt the most if no deal gets done. Frankly, I think the Senate Majority is in play here.

I think it's interesting to see if the GOP has the balls to say no. And do the moderate Dems have the balls to stand up to the Far Left?

The Democrats can attach their version to the stopgap spending bill as well. Doing nothing is political suicide as well as this stunt if they try it.

This morning I have read that the smaller GOP COVID Relief Bill won't have a 2nd round of stimulus checks in it. So that won't go over well with a lot of voters, but if they agree to those checks and the cost climbs to over $2 trillion then there are a number of other voters who won't like that either.

My guess is, with the elections coming up the GOP will agree to another round of checks going out, but not to a bailout to the states and certainly not to the repeal of the SALT deduction limit. I believe the Senate is still adjourned for the next 2 weeks, although McConnell could call them back to vote to a deal if one is reached. What I am sure of is that the Senate GOP will propose a Bill; maybe the Dems shoot it down but the Repubs can say we tried to pass something but the Dems wanted all kinds of giveaways that had nothing to do with the Coronavirus. So then some time will pass while each side decides what is in their best interests to do or not do. Their best interests, not ours. Maybe something will be agreed to before the election and maybe not.

No one is talking about a bailout for states. We are talking about replacing the revenues that states normally receive. If that does not happen then the unemployment rate will shoot up and taxes will go up. The Republicans will be responsible for this.

Forum List

Back