Security at Tuzla made Hillary wear bullet proof stuff and scared everyone...gotcha gone crazy?

francoHFW

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2011
NY 26th FINALLY DEM!
Sound like "under sniper fire" technically? Impossible to find transcript, just that snippet a million times? Our media suqs, just controversy, gotcha, and ratings mad, especially with the Clintons...

Finally, in an effort to put the controversy behind her, Clinton told the Philadelphia Daily News:

“Now let me tell you what I can remember, OK — because what I was told was that we had to land a certain way and move quickly because of the threat of sniper fire. So I misspoke — I didn’t say that in my book or other times but if I said something that made it seem as though there was actual fire — that’s not what I was told. I was told we had to land a certain way, we had to have our bulletproof stuff on because of the threat of sniper fire. I was also told that the greeting ceremony had been moved away from the tarmac but that there was this 8-year-old girl and, I can’t, I can’t rush by her, I’ve got to at least greet her — so I greeted her, I took her stuff and then I left, now that’s my memory of it.”

Over time, the incident became etched in the minds of Clinton’s detractors, which is why it resonates today.

There is one interesting update to the episode. Former ambassador Christopher R. Hill, who accompanied Clinton on the trip, published a memoir in 2014, “Outpost,” in which he recounted that just before landing in Bosnia, the staff and reporters received an unusually intense briefing about the security situation. Hill’s account does not necessarily excuse Clinton’s false statement, but it is an example of how memories can be forged in unexpected ways. Here’s what he wrote on pages 114-115:

[During the landing at Tuzla], I ventured over to listen to a member of the security detail briefing the first lady and her team on the situation we would likely encounter on the ground. As she did for every briefing she received, she listened attentively, glancing at her reading material as he talked and talked.

I found myself almost rolling my eyes as the briefer went on and on about the possibility of snipers and what the plan of action would be (essentially, making a beeline to the armored vehicles parked nearby). As the briefing continued for what seemed like half an hour, one of the journalists, a little worried, asked me if it was going to be that dangerous.

Fact Checker newsletter

What's true, what's false or in-between.

I explained I was not going to contradict the briefer, but, whispering, I told him I seriously doubted we would encounter any such threat. For heaven’s sake, I explained, it was a U.S. military base with thousands of troops, where there had not been a single such incident in the three months they had set up camp. He was relieved, but those more attentively listening to the briefer were not, as they contemplated that soon they could be running for their lives across an open tarmac a la “sniper alley” in Sarajevo.

There were of course no snipers, and as the nervous passengers exited from the rear of the aircraft off an enormous steel ramp that could handle tanks and other tactical vehicles, we were greeted by a group of Bosnian children in colorful native dress. Hope none of them is a sniper, I thought. They presented Mrs. Clinton with bright bouquets of spring flowers that were quickly gathered up by aides while the first lady patted the children on the head … The visit seemed over before it began by the time we made our way back to the airstrip and boarded the C-17 for the flight to Germany. But the threat of snipers seemed to be all most people could remember.

According to the newsreels that were running at the time, shows Clinton lied. I think it was CBS news that caught the whole incident.

Sound like "under sniper fire" technically? Impossible to find transcript, just that snippet a million times? Our media suqs, just controversy, gotcha, and ratings mad, especially with the Clintons...

Finally, in an effort to put the controversy behind her, Clinton told the Philadelphia Daily News:

“Now let me tell you what I can remember, OK — because what I was told was that we had to land a certain way and move quickly because of the threat of sniper fire. So I misspoke — I didn’t say that in my book or other times but if I said something that made it seem as though there was actual fire — that’s not what I was told. I was told we had to land a certain way, we had to have our bulletproof stuff on because of the threat of sniper fire. I was also told that the greeting ceremony had been moved away from the tarmac but that there was this 8-year-old girl and, I can’t, I can’t rush by her, I’ve got to at least greet her — so I greeted her, I took her stuff and then I left, now that’s my memory of it.”

Over time, the incident became etched in the minds of Clinton’s detractors, which is why it resonates today.

There is one interesting update to the episode. Former ambassador Christopher R. Hill, who accompanied Clinton on the trip, published a memoir in 2014, “Outpost,” in which he recounted that just before landing in Bosnia, the staff and reporters received an unusually intense briefing about the security situation. Hill’s account does not necessarily excuse Clinton’s false statement, but it is an example of how memories can be forged in unexpected ways. Here’s what he wrote on pages 114-115:

[During the landing at Tuzla], I ventured over to listen to a member of the security detail briefing the first lady and her team on the situation we would likely encounter on the ground. As she did for every briefing she received, she listened attentively, glancing at her reading material as he talked and talked.

I found myself almost rolling my eyes as the briefer went on and on about the possibility of snipers and what the plan of action would be (essentially, making a beeline to the armored vehicles parked nearby). As the briefing continued for what seemed like half an hour, one of the journalists, a little worried, asked me if it was going to be that dangerous.

Fact Checker newsletter

I explained I was not going to contradict the briefer, but, whispering, I told him I seriously doubted we would encounter any such threat. For heaven’s sake, I explained, it was a U.S. military base with thousands of troops, where there had not been a single such incident in the three months they had set up camp. He was relieved, but those more attentively listening to the briefer were not, as they contemplated that soon they could be running for their lives across an open tarmac a la “sniper alley” in Sarajevo.

There were of course no snipers, and as the nervous passengers exited from the rear of the aircraft off an enormous steel ramp that could handle tanks and other tactical vehicles, we were greeted by a group of Bosnian children in colorful native dress. Hope none of them is a sniper, I thought. They presented Mrs. Clinton with bright bouquets of spring flowers that were quickly gathered up by aides while the first lady patted the children on the head … The visit seemed over before it began by the time we made our way back to the airstrip and boarded the C-17 for the flight to Germany. But the threat of snipers seemed to be all most people could remember.

Then, where is her bullet proof vest?

http://i2.wp.com/therealrevo.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/hillarysniper.jpg

According to the newsreels that were running at the time, shows Clinton lied. I think it was CBS news that caught the whole incident.
NOT. Obviously. Just the gotcha. And the transcript of her story etc can't be found, by me at least- or more video than the snippet played a million times. ANOTHER highly debatable lie...by Clinto that makes her a huge LIAR!!!! my butt.

The European press reported that just prior to her plane landing, there HAD been sniper fire on the air strip.

Right wing morons will harp on this even on the last day of her presidency....
Let them...it keeps them off the streets.

NOT. Obviously. Just the gotcha. And the transcript of her story etc can't be found, by me at least- or more video than the snippet played a million times. ANOTHER highly debatable lie...by Clinto that makes her a huge LIAR!!!! my butt.

Look, Mr. Peanut. She's not even wearing a vest.

http://i2.wp.com/therealrevo.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/hillarysniper.jpg

Fact Checker newsletter

Where do you think? DUH.

The usual highly debatable Clinton LIE!!!! vs the MANY GOP whoppers the dupes all believe as fact...

The usual highly debatable Clinton LIE

highly debatable?

Big difference between "you might want to wear bulletproof vests" and "I landed under sniper fire"
Security made her wear bulletproof stuff, LIAR!!! lol

Then why isn't she wearing it, Mr. Peanut????

http://www.cashill.com/images/HillaryClinton_Bosnia1996.jpg

I see a coat and a blouse and scarfs...no vest.

Hillary sez: "I misspoke". Does that translate to "I lied" or "I imagined a situation that didn't happen because of brain damage as a result of a fall" or "I thought I could get away with it because the left wing media has been so good to me". Pick an excuse.

Fact Checker newsletter

Where do you think? DUH.

Where do I think? Back under the seat of the airplane, you nutty hillarybot.

The usual highly debatable Clinton LIE!!!! vs the MANY GOP whoppers the dupes all believe as fact...

The usual highly debatable Clinton LIE

highly debatable?

Big difference between "you might want to wear bulletproof vests" and "I landed under sniper fire"
Security made her wear bulletproof stuff, LIAR!!! lol

How does that translate into "We landed under sniper fire"?

The European press reported that just prior to her plane landing, there HAD been sniper fire on the air strip.

Right wing morons will harp on this even on the last day of her presidency....
Let them...it keeps them off the streets.

:link:

Here's the story behind Hillary Clinton's claim about landing under 'sniper fire' in Bosnia

Sharyl Attkisson recalled:

"Due to the possibility of sniper fire, our pilots used what we were told are 'assault take-offs and landings.' In short, the climb and descent are very fast, and very steep to minimize exposure to hostile fire on the ground."

"It's exciting and frightening and, in the midst of it all, wearing our helmets and bulletproof vests, it's easy to imagine we may be narrowly escaping enemy bullets."

"In reality, we had no known incidents of enemy fire on our aircraft."

To be fair, however, Attkisson did note in her 1996 CBS report that the "frontline outpost" that Clinton and Chelsea visited was "one of the most dangerous places where US forces are operating."

"The president himself never made it this far inside Bosnia when he visited in January," Attkisson said in the report.

"Actor Sinbad, who accompanied her on the trip, said, "...there were no bullets being shot at them, and that the only scary part of the trip was deciding where they were going to eat."

“I think the only ‘red-phone’ moment was: ‘Do we eat here or at the next place,'” Sinbad said in 2008. “I never felt that I was in a dangerous position. I never felt being in a sense of peril, or ‘Oh, God, I hope I’m going to be OK when I get out of this helicopter or when I get out of his tank."

Forum List

Back