Scientists find areas of brain responsible for spirituality...

pacer

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2013
The God spots revealed: Scientists find areas of the brain responsible for spirituality

By Daily Mail Reporter
PUBLISHED: 06:15 GMT, 21 April 2012 | UPDATED: 06:57 GMT, 21 April 2012

Scientists have speculated for years that the human brain features a 'God spot,' one distinct area of the brain responsible for spirituality.

Now, University of Missouri researchers have completed research that indicates spirituality is a complex phenomenon and that multiple areas of the brain are responsible for the many aspects of spiritual experiences.

Based on a previously published study that indicated spiritual transcendence is associated with decreased right parietal lobe functioning, Missouri University (MU) researchers replicated their findings. In addition, the researchers determined that other aspects of spiritual functioning are related to increased activity in the frontal lobe.

'We have found a neuropsychological basis for spirituality, but it’s not isolated to one specific area of the brain,' said Brick Johnstone, professor of health psychology in the School of Health Professions.

'Spirituality is a much more dynamic concept that uses many parts of the brain.'

'Certain parts of the brain play more predominant roles, but they all work together to facilitate individuals’ spiritual experiences.'

In the most recent study, Johnstone studied 20 people with traumatic brain injuries affecting the right parietal lobe, the area of the brain situated a few inches above the right ear.

He surveyed participants on characteristics of spirituality, such as how close they felt to a higher power and if they felt their lives were part of a divine plan.

He found that the participants with more significant injury to their right parietal lobe showed an increased feeling of closeness to a higher power.

'Neuropsychology researchers consistently have shown that impairment on the right side of the brain decreases one’s focus on the self,' said Johnstone.

'Since our research shows that people with this impairment are more spiritual, this suggests spiritual experiences are associated with a decreased focus on the self.

'This is is consistent with many religious texts that suggest people should concentrate on the well-being of others rather than on themselves.'

Johnstone says the right side of the brain is associated with self-orientation, whereas the left side is associated with how individuals relate to others.

Although Johnstone studied people with brain injury, previous studies of Buddhist meditators and Franciscan nuns with normal brain function have shown that people can learn to minimize the functioning of the right side of their brains to increase their spiritual connections during meditation and prayer.

In addition, Johnstone measured the frequency of participants’ religious practices, such as how often they attended church or listened to religious programs.

He measured activity in the frontal lobe and found a correlation between increased activity in this part of the brain and increased participation in religious practices.

The research indicated that there are all kinds of spiritual experiences that Christians might call closeness to God and atheists might call an awareness of themselves.

'This finding indicates that spiritual experiences are likely associated with different parts of the brain,” said Johnstone.

Spirituality exists across the whole brain | Mail Online

Last edited:
No 'God Spot' In Brain, Spirituality Linked To Right Parietal Lobe
Posted: 04/20/2012 12:42 pm EDT Updated: 04/20/2012 1:04 pm EDT

This neuroradiological scan shows what an injured right parietal lobe looks like. Individuals with similar injuries to this part of the brain will be less focused on the self, and more likely to be able to experience spiritual connection with a higher power/nature, depending on their faith tradition.
Scientists have speculated that the human brain features a “God spot,” one distinct area of the brain responsible for spirituality. Now, University of Missouri researchers have completed research that indicates spirituality is a complex phenomenon, and multiple areas of the brain are responsible for the many aspects of spiritual experiences.

“We have found a neuropsychological basis for spirituality, but it’s not isolated to one specific area of the brain,” said Brick Johnstone, professor of health psychology in the School of Health Professions. “Spirituality is a much more dynamic concept that uses many parts of the brain. Certain parts of the brain play more predominant roles, but they all work together to facilitate individuals’ spiritual experiences.”

No 'God Spot' In Brain, Spirituality Linked To Right Parietal Lobe

Last edited:
Kinda worry about this kind of research. Eventually, once we know everything the brain does, all of life's mysteries will be gone and life will be very dull. :)

Kinda worry about this kind of research. Eventually, once we know everything the brain does, all of life's mysteries will be gone and life will be very dull. :)

Not if you really think about it. Neuroscientists cannot prove which causes the other, i.e. if the stimulation of associated areas of the brain is a response or a cause.

Thanks for the link, daws.
no problem! great subject!
I see the rationalizing is rolling in.

Rationalizing? It is still a contentious issue, dumbass.

The real situation is we don't know if the brain causes certain behaviors or if there is interplay or the brain has no impact at all on anything and wwe all freely choose everything we feel and do.

Human Behavior, My Brain Made Me do It? - Dealing with Stress and Anxiety Management – Coping Mechanisms from MentalHelp.net

In reality, human behavior and psychology are complicated. It is most likely that our behaviors result from a complex interplay between each of our genetic make-up, brain chemistry and functioning and the economic, social and psychological environments in which we grew up and live.

But for libtards the pay off comes with a society that accepts that none of us are responsible for our behaviors, for being crooks, being fat, addicted to drugs, etc.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/29/opinion/sunday/neuroscience-and-moral-responsibility.html?_r=0

Each of our behaviors is always associated with a brain state. If we view every new scientific finding about brain involvement in human behavior as a sign that the behavior was not under the individual’s control, the very notion of responsibility will be threatened. So it is imperative that we think clearly about when brain science frees someone from blame — and when it doesn’t.

Unfortunately, our research shows that clear thinking on this issue doesn’t come naturally to people. Several years ago, with the psychologist Edward B. Royzman, we published a study in the journal Ethics & Behavior that demonstrated the power of neuroscientific explanations to free people from blame. ...

So by the neuroscientists brain-controls pov, a rapist is really guilty of nothing since he never really made a choice; his brain did and he was just along for the ride, lol.

Total bullshit for weak minded ass hats.

Obviously if your brain malfunctions and you are blind, deaf, cant read, or whatever, that impacts your life and behavior, but NOTHING determines it.

http://www.columbia.edu/~lbh3/Baumeister 2011.pdf

Everyday intuitions suggest full conscious control of behavior, but evidence of unconscious causation and automaticity has sustained the contrary view that conscious thought has little or no impact on behavior. We review studies with random assignment to experimental manipulations of conscious thought and behavioral dependent measures. Topics include mental practice and simulation, anticipation, planning, reflection and rehearsal, reasoning, counterproductive effects, perspective taking, self-affirmation, framing, communication, and overriding automatic responses. The evidence for conscious causation of behavior is profound, extensive, adaptive, multifaceted, and empirically strong. However, conscious causation is often indirect and delayed, and it depends on interplay with unconscious processes. Consciousness seems especially useful for enabling behavior to be shaped by nonpresent factors and by social and cultural information, as well as for dealing with multiple competing options or impulses. It is plausible that almost every human behavior comes from a mixture of conscious and unconscious processing.

Another psuedoscience study designed to reassure idiots that they have no free will, how wonderful.
as much ass you yammer on about others not having free will I suspect you have none of your own...

Did you skip reading in school?

I have consistently argued that everyone has free will, which is why I have the exact same level of contempt for studies that prove being gay is a mental disease.

On the other hand, you did make my point for me, thanks for that.

Another psuedoscience study designed to reassure idiots that they have no free will, how wonderful.
as much ass you yammer on about others not having free will I suspect you have none of your own...

I have consistently argued that everyone has free will, which is why I have the exact same level of contempt for studies that prove being gay is a mental disease.

lol, yes he did, and he doesn't even realize it.

There will always be questions in search of answers.

Not if the fascist libtards get their way. You wont be able to think freely and speak your mind without going through a checklist of PC hate-speech laws.

Not if the fascist libtards get their way. You wont be able to think freely and speak your mind without going through a checklist of PC hate-speech laws.

You should refrain from becoming stinking drunk before you post.

no but you must have .
this proves my point "I have consistently argued that everyone has free will"
that is true so much so it's morphed in a kinda of robo calling...

Thanks for the link, daws.
no problem! great subject!
I see the rationalizing is rolling in.

Rationalizing? It is still a contentious issue, dumbass.

The real situation is we don't know if the brain causes certain behaviors or if there is interplay or the brain has no impact at all on anything and wwe all freely choose everything we feel and do.

Human Behavior, My Brain Made Me do It? - Dealing with Stress and Anxiety Management – Coping Mechanisms from MentalHelp.net

In reality, human behavior and psychology are complicated. It is most likely that our behaviors result from a complex interplay between each of our genetic make-up, brain chemistry and functioning and the economic, social and psychological environments in which we grew up and live.

But for libtards the pay off comes with a society that accepts that none of us are responsible for our behaviors, for being crooks, being fat, addicted to drugs, etc.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/29/opinion/sunday/neuroscience-and-moral-responsibility.html?_r=0

Each of our behaviors is always associated with a brain state. If we view every new scientific finding about brain involvement in human behavior as a sign that the behavior was not under the individual’s control, the very notion of responsibility will be threatened. So it is imperative that we think clearly about when brain science frees someone from blame — and when it doesn’t.

Unfortunately, our research shows that clear thinking on this issue doesn’t come naturally to people. Several years ago, with the psychologist Edward B. Royzman, we published a study in the journal Ethics & Behavior that demonstrated the power of neuroscientific explanations to free people from blame. ...

So by the neuroscientists brain-controls pov, a rapist is really guilty of nothing since he never really made a choice; his brain did and he was just along for the ride, lol.

Total bullshit for weak minded ass hats.

Obviously if your brain malfunctions and you are blind, deaf, cant read, or whatever, that impacts your life and behavior, but NOTHING determines it.
ironic that....
believers scream about free will incessantly but never actually use it.

You should refrain from becoming stinking drunk before you post.

Stinking drunk? lol, dude, wake the hell up. It is already happening throughout the first world.

Police Arrest Man in England For Calling Homosexuality a Sin | JONATHAN TURLEY

We have another case of a religious person being jailed for denouncing homosexuality. In England, Dale McAlpine was charged with causing “harassment, alarm or distress” after a homosexual police community support officer (PCSO) overheard him stating that he viewed homosexuality to be a sin.

We have been following a disturbing trend in the West of limiting free speech under both blasphemy and discrimination laws, here. In the United States, we are seeing increasing conflicts between our anti-discrimination laws and assocational and free exercise rights, here.

LifeSiteNews Mobile | U.S. street preacher arrested in London for saying homosexuality sinful (VIDEO)

LONDON, July 9, 2013 (LifeSiteNews.com) – A visiting American Christian evangelist was arrested earlier this month in the UK for preaching that homosexual acts are sinful. The arrest was made under the notorious Section 5 of the Public Order Act, despite the fact that the pertinent wording of the law was recently overturned by Parliament after a rash of similar incidents and a campaign against the law spearheaded by actor and comedian Rowan Atkinson, of Mr. Bean fame.

On Monday, July 1, Tony Miano, a retired member of the Los Angeles Sherriff’s Department who received more than 60 commendations and citations for meritorious service during his career, was preaching in Wimbledon, where thousands of sports fans are gathered to watch the annual tennis championships.

He says he was preaching on 1 Thessalonians 4:1-12, focusing on the teaching of the Bible on “both heterosexual immorality and homosexual immorality.” While doing so a woman approached him.

“She turned, glared at me and told me to ‘f-off’,” he said. “I asked her why she was being so judgmental and that I would love to dialogue with her.” She then left, but later called police, who arrived and arrested Miano telling him he was “guilty of using homophobic speech that could cause people anxiety, distress, alarm or insult.”

Swedish Pastor Faces Jail for Preaching against Homosexuality - Research - Chalcedon

A Swedish pastor who preached a sermon on the Biblical prohibitions against homosexual behavior is waiting to see if the Supreme Court of Sweden will send him to jail for six months for doing so.

Ake Green, the pastor of a small-town Pentecostal church, delivered his sermon in 2003 and has been in the prosecutor’s crosshairs ever since. Charged with violating a Swedish hate speech law that protects homosexuals from “intimidation” and “agitation,” he was sentenced to a month in jail last year by a district court. An appeals court overturned his conviction, but the prosecutor has appealed to the Supreme Court and has asked that the 68-year-old pastor’s jail term be increased to six months.

The Supreme Court heard arguments this month and is expected to rule sometime next year.

Hate Speech?
Pastor Green’s sermon, entitled “Is Homosexuality Genetic or an Evil Force that Plays Mind Games with People?”, carefully cites Bible passages demonstrating that sodomy, in the eyes of God, is a sin. He warns that Sweden, because of its embrace of homosexuality, may be in acute danger of God’s judgment. He teaches that persons guilty of this sin, by repenting and relying on God’s grace, can be freed from bondage to it and saved.

The pastor backs up everything he says with verses from the Bible. At no point does he advocate violence against homosexuals, condone hatred or rejection of them, or recommend any action but prayer and the preaching of the gospel (for the complete text, see http://www.faithandaction.org/10604Oscarsson.htm).

Nevertheless, homosexuals complained and the prosecutor went into action. This is because Sweden has a law that “prohibits the expression of ‘disrespect’ towards favored minority groups,” explained Jared Leland of the Becket Fund for Religious Liberty (The Becket Fund for Religious Liberty), who has written a “friend of the court” brief that has been accepted into the record by the Swedish Supreme Court.

CULTURE NEWS: Canada: Pastor Found Guilty of Hate Crime

Five years ago in Alberta, Canada, a former pastor and head of a Christian organization, Stephen Boissoin, sent a letter to a local paper on the issue of sexual orientation. Two weeks later a gay teen was beaten up, and the pastor, and the pastor was charged with violating human rights law because the letter likely exposed gays to hatred and contempt - despite the fact that he had never advocated violence of any sort in his letter or otherwise....

Priscilla Jael made the following observations:
•This pastor has had to finance his own legal defense for the last five years.
•The accusers bore no expense. He simply made an accusation and the government spent taxpayer money to prosecute him for SPEECH.
•This is exactly the kind of 'hate crimes' legislation our U.S. Congressmen have attached to the Defense Bill hoping to get it enacted into law.
•Our pastors need to consider, study, pray about, and answer as few questions:
1.If we are fined for preaching truth, do we pay the fine?
2.Do we pay it if the money will go directly to an anti-Christian group (like below)?

To a degree this fascism disguised as anti-hate speech is already here, the authorities simply use zoning laws etc to do the arrests, could even use simple 'criminal mischief'

CULTURE NEWS: Calif. Pastor Arrested for Reading Bible in Public

CULTURE NEWS: Supremes Rule Bible as 'Hate Speech' in Canada

CULTURE NEWS: Christians Arrested for Standing in Public with Sign

Now, for the real violent haters in all this
CULTURE NEWS: Arrests: Christian Beaten at Seattle Gay Event

CULTURE NEWS: Homosexualists' Terrorist Attack on Christians

CULTURE NEWS: Homosexualists Issue Death Threats to Christians

CULTURE NEWS: 'Gay Hate Crimes' Against Christians Planned

CULTURE NEWS: Woman Assaulted by Homosexual Advocates Files Charges

Forum List

Back