Russell Wilson vs. Peyton Manning - Can Wilson Best Manning's Legacy?

As for the OP, I'd take Wilson over Manning every day of the week and twice on Sunday... Ten times on Sunday's in January.

Right, I am with you on that..with all of Manning accomplishment and there are many he can be proud of he still has the same number of Super Bowls rings as Wilson and that may change on Feb 1st in Glendale.

Wilson also has the highest career quarterback rating in the playoffs in NFL history; better than Aikman, better than Favre, better than Montana, Marino, Rodgers, Brees, Bradshaw, Unitas, Starr, Brady, Staubach, and yes far better than Manning. No quarterback in the history of the NFL has exploded in the playoffs like Russell Wilson has the last three years. I'd say he is pretty confident.

Impeccable Russell Wilson in rare company after another strong postseason performance HeraldNet.com - Seattle Sidelines

Well, Wilson is no longer has the highest QB rating in the playoffs in NFL history. One game moved him from 1 to 5.

Well that's true. He played a shitty game for sure but all quarterbacks have them. For example check out these great playoff efforts:

Dan Marino / New England 1997: 17 comp, 43 att, 141 yds, 0 tds, 2 int, 29.3 rating
Dan Marino Career Game Log Pro-Football-Reference.com

Peyton Manning / New York Jets 2003: 14 comp, 31 att, 137 yds, 0 td, 2 int, 31.2 rating
Peyton Manning / New England 2004: 23 comp, 47 att, 247 yds, 1 td, 4 int, 35.5 rating
Peyton Manning / Baltimore 2007: 15 comp, 30 att, 170 yds, 0 tds, 2 int, 39.6 rating
Peyton Manning Career Game Log Pro-Football-Reference.com

Joe Montana / New York Giants 1987: 8 comp, 15 att, 98 yds, 0 tds, 2 int, 34.2 rating
Joe Montana / Buffalo 1994: 9 comp, 23 att, 125 yds, 0 tds, 1 int, 39.2 rating
Joe Montana Career Game Log Pro-Football-Reference.com

Sometimes it just all goes to shit, you know? :lol: I agree with the Elway quote I posted several days ago about "it's better to be winning in the 4th quarter than have to come back to win in the 4th quarter". I agree completely and Wilson was absolutely terrible for 55 minutes of that game.

But what happened next? See what makes a quarterback great is not that they have never had a bad day. All quarterbacks, even the legendary ones had bad days....in fact downright disastrous days. What makes a quarterback great is their ability to maintain their composure, let everything that has happened go, and have faith in themselves to lead their team to a victory when they are having one.

After Wilson's last interception with 5:13 left in the game...with the entire season on the line and where most quarterbacks would have crumbled under the pressure and given up, he went 6 for 7 for 134 yards and a touchdown (158.3 rating) and ran three times for 20 more yards and another touchdown. That is the sign of composure, that's the sign of confidence, that's the stuff of greatness.

Last edited:
Wilson also has the highest career quarterback rating in the playoffs in NFL history; better than Aikman, better than Favre, better than Montana, Marino, Rodgers, Brees, Bradshaw, Unitas, Starr, Brady, Staubach, and yes far better than Manning. No quarterback in the history of the NFL has exploded in the playoffs like Russell Wilson has the last three years. I'd say he is pretty confident.

Impeccable Russell Wilson in rare company after another strong postseason performance HeraldNet.com - Seattle Sidelines

Well, Wilson is no longer has the highest QB rating in the playoffs in NFL history. One game moved him from 1 to 5.

Well that's true. He played a shitty game for sure but all quarterbacks have them. For example check out these great playoff efforts:

Dan Marino / New England 1997: 17 comp, 43 att, 141 yds, 0 tds, 2 int, 29.3 rating
Dan Marino Career Game Log Pro-Football-Reference.com

Peyton Manning / New York Jets 2003: 14 comp, 31 att, 137 yds, 0 td, 2 int, 31.2 rating
Peyton Manning / New England 2004: 23 comp, 47 att, 247 yds, 1 td, 4 int, 35.5 rating
Peyton Manning / Baltimore 2007: 15 comp, 30 att, 170 yds, 0 tds, 2 int, 39.6 rating
Peyton Manning Career Game Log Pro-Football-Reference.com

Joe Montana / New York Giants 1987: 8 comp, 15 att, 98 yds, 0 tds, 2 int, 34.2 rating
Joe Montana / Buffalo 1994: 9 comp, 23 att, 125 yds, 0 tds, 1 int, 39.2 rating
Joe Montana Career Game Log Pro-Football-Reference.com

Sometimes it just all goes to shit, you know? :lol: I agree with the Elway quote I posted several days ago about "it's better to be winning in the 4th quarter than have to come back to win in the 4th quarter". I agree completely and Wilson was absolutely terrible for 55 minutes of that game.

But what happened next? See what makes a quarterback great is not that they have never had a bad day. All quarterbacks, even the legendary ones had bad days....in fact downright disastrous days. What makes a quarterback great is their ability to maintain their composure, let everything that has happened go, and have faith in themselves to lead their team to a victory.

After Wilson's last interception with 5:13 left in the game...with the entire season on the line and where most quarterbacks would have crumbled under the pressure and given up, he went 6 for 7 for 134 yards and a touchdown (158.3 rating) and ran three times for 20 more yards and another touchdown. That is the sign of composure, that's the sign of confidence, that's the stuff of greatness.

Wow, you finally see my point, congrats. Wilson, has a long way to go to be at the level that Elway, Marino, Montana, Starr, Brady, Manning, Staubach, Aikman, Young and on and on. Not that he won't get there, however he has a road and he is not the highest rated QB in the playoffs and you see how little that meant.

Wilson also has the highest career quarterback rating in the playoffs in NFL history; better than Aikman, better than Favre, better than Montana, Marino, Rodgers, Brees,

Wow, you finally see my point, congrats. Wilson, has a long way to go to be at the level that Elway, Marino, Montana, Starr, Brady, Manning, Staubach, Aikman, Young and on and on. Not that he won't get there, however he has a road and he is not the highest rated QB in the playoffs and you see how little that meant.

You and others are still trying to compare apples to oranges....Why are the quarterbacks you mentions above noted for? Passing...Wilson and the Seahawks are not a pass first team they are a run first team with a very above average defense and leading the league in rushing this year proves my point. You have to compare how a quarterback leads a team to victory...and, wow, sometimes passing isn't it. Sometimes teams who rushed big time like Pittsburgh with the steel curtain win out over passing.
Name the teams on your list of quarterbacks that lead the league in rushing

Wilson also has the highest career quarterback rating in the playoffs in NFL history; better than Aikman, better than Favre, better than Montana, Marino, Rodgers, Brees,

You and others are still trying to compare apples to oranges....Why are the quarterbacks you mentions above noted for? Passing...Wilson and the Seahawks are not a pass first team they are a run first team with a very above average defense and leading the league in rushing this year proves my point. You have to compare how a quarterback leads a team to victory...and, wow, sometimes passing isn't it. Sometimes teams who rushed big time like Pittsburgh with the steel curtain win out over passing.
Talk to blue, he is the one comparing Wilson to pocket passers, nice spin though.

Talk to blue, he is the one comparing Wilson to pocket passers, nice spin though.

Aren't you the one who said the above highlighted quote? And when I said you and others......

Last edited:
Talk to blue, he is the one comparing Wilson to pocket passers, nice spin though.[/QUOTE]

Aren't you the one who said the above highlighted quote? And when I said you and others......[/QUOTE]
Yes in response to blue and his love of the QB rating.

Sometimes it does win out and frankly I prefer a rushing attack to a passing attack. As I mentioned earlier, it's unusual for a QB to have a great deal of success without a powerful running game. As I mentioned, Elway didn't win his Super Bowls until he had Terrell Davis (who I believe led the league in rushing or was at least close to it), Montana had Roger Craig, Edgerrin James helped Manning, Jim Kelly had Thurmond Thomas, Marshall Faulk was important for Kurt Warner, Troy Aikman had Emmitt Smith, etc. Tony Romo had a great year...he also had DeMarco Murray who had a fantastic season as well.

There have certainly been exceptions. Marino would be one, Elway's another. Most of the time though a quarterback will have his best success when the running game is effective.

Elway, Montana, Staubach.

Didn't check on the others, feel, free to look it up yourself.

Wait...I just saw this thread. Who in the world would think Russell Wilson will ever hold a candle to Peyton Manning?!?!?!!

No disrespect to Wilson - he's a good young player, but Peyton is one of the best to ever play the game!

yes during the REGULAR SEASON he is.But Peyton cant win the big game.the one superbowl he DID win came against a team that was carried there by their defense and special teams that year and it was a victory against a now washed up journeyman backup quarterback who I am not even sure if he is still playing or not that's how much a has been he is. Wilson beat the highest scoring offense of all time.that speaks volumns. He kind of hurt his future legacy in the game sunday but he can redeem himself in the superbowl which I have to believe he will.

Manning is a clone of Dan Marino.someone who put up impressive numbers and statisitics in regular season games but stunk up the join agains top notch competition in big games.

He will be bothered so much by his lame duck performance he will study and work extremely hard pouring over game film night and day practicing his mechanics to make sure he doesn't give another lame duck performance like that again in this game.

Peyton isn't even the best Manning.

True story :thup:

very true indeed.:thup:

Well.......I will write tomorrow but tonight is for celebration. That was by far the worst game of Wilson's career....until it mattered and then he stuck it in their heart. Most amazing comeback I have seen in years, if ever. Like I said....I will write more another time. Tonight is just for celebration.

GO HAWKS!!!!!!
NFC CHAMPIONS!!!!!
yeah makes you wonder wtf was up with THAT? His mind was not into this game at all obviously and neither was kearses. the players clearly lost focus for this game before it started.where was the pass rush that had finally come alive the last 6 games of the season?

they reverted back to how they were playing in the middle of the year.and Baldwin fumbling the kickoff? wtf? this team was not focused and prepared at all.they play anything like that in the superbowl and it will be a long day and they will lose.

makes me wonder if Wilson was thinking about his divorce or something because he more than any of them,did not have his mind on the game at all for three and a half quarters.

He needs to have his mind on the game on supersunday or it will cost them this time.if they commit two back to back turnovers to start off,they will lose this time.The pats will get touchdowns out of them not mere field goals.

Last edited:

Then in your opinion is the best Manning? Archie who never played for a winning team in his career or Eli whose life time record is 62-52 with a RTG of 82, 185 picks and 86 fumbles.

True story.....

Archie and Eli tied for best, Peyton a distant third.

Peyton is the best QB EVAAHHHH for the same reason the Packers were the better team on Sunday. He doesn't REALLY have to back it up with RINGS!!! He doesn't REALLY have to win championships. He is Peyton fuckin Manning for Christ SAKES !!!

Then in your opinion is the best Manning? Archie who never played for a winning team in his career or Eli whose life time record is 62-52 with a RTG of 82, 185 picks and 86 fumbles.

True story.....

Don't remember archie but Eli is easily ahead of Peyton regardless of how crappy he has been the last few years.Eli did not get scared and panic in big games.He beat EASILY one of the top five greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game TWICE!!!. Look who the QB was that manning beat when he won the superbowl.a washed up has been backup now who I am not even sure is still in pro football now,big wow.:asshole: when he had to face top notch completion in the big game facing GREAT quarterbacks Brees and Wilson,manning couldn't cut the mustard so its a no brainer that Eli is better.

True story.....

Peyton is the best QB EVAAHHHH for the same reason the Packers were the better team on Sunday. He doesn't REALLY have to back it up with RINGS!!! He doesn't REALLY have to win championships. He is Peyton fuckin Manning for Christ SAKES !!!

Rings are far from the only factor in what makes a great QB.

That said, Manning's lack of playoff success will always keep him from the top of the all time list.

Sometimes you get lucky, but you still need to capitalize on luck. Onside kick bounced off of #86 face. Seahawks played aggressive in OT and won. I felt bad for cheeseheads.

Colts started out okay. Fair catch bounced off of #16s face. Several dropped balls from Luck. Bad passes too. I wonder if the game would have been much closer if you replayed the first 10 minutes. Things really snowballed for NE and I had to turn off the game.

Forum List

Back