There is a statute in Ohio from the Civil War that is our heritage. You can see it here: 4th amendment rooted in county « Harrison News Herald. America was founded on the belief that all men are created equal, it took a while to achieve that and some may say we still aren't there. Let's not go backward. White nationalists, white supremacists, the alt-right, and neo-Nazis do not represent the heritage that is America. The confederacy sought to destroy our heritage as Americans not support it, that much should be clear. Over six hundred thousand died to maintain America's dream of equality for all.

"It is a ‘white man’s government,’ is it? Why, the very first blood shed for the assertion of your independence and the establishment of your nationality, upon the field of Lexington, was the blood of a black citizen of Massachusetts. And when they came to the work, after the victory had been achieved, and the independence of the nation acknowledged, of organizing a constitutional government of the United States, in a majority of the States of the Union the black men voted with white men, and the man who denies it is simply ignorant of the history of his own country. . . .

Your armies bore witness that 175,000 of the black population, made free by the proclamation of liberty, were in the army of the republic. When you consider that the majority of the black population were the slaves of rebels, and within their territory, unable to signify to the United States Government their unwillingness to serve it, the fact that as large a population of the black population as of the free whites rushed to the defense of your flag, speaks well for their patriotism. . . "

Source: Balkinization, 'John Bingham on Racial Equality' Gerard N. Magliocca

"Bingham lived two more years and died in Cadiz on March 19, 1900. Bingham was interred in Union Cemetery in Cadiz. In 1901, the citizens of Harrison County, Ohio erected a bronze statue honoring Bingham in Cadiz." | Ohio Civil War Central

And there is a history and a heritage and it is not one we should be proud of.

"There is a crucial difference between leaders like Washington and Jefferson, imperfect men who helped create the United States, Ms. Gordon-Reed said, and Confederate generals like Jackson and Lee, whose main historical significance is that they took up arms against it. The comparison, she added, also “misapprehends the moral problem with the Confederacy.”" Historians Question Trump’s Comments on Confederate Monuments

"“We would not want to whitewash our history by pretending that Jim Crow and disenfranchisement or massive resistance to the civil rights movement never happened,” he said. “That is the part of our history that these monuments testify to.”" [from above]

States rights my....

John Bingham and the Story of American Liberty: The Lost Cause Meets the 'Lost Clause' John Bingham and the Story of American Liberty: The Lost Cause Meets the 'Lost Clause' by Michael Kent Curtis :: SSRN

I Studied the Alt-Right So You Don’t Have To: I Studied the Alt-Right So You Don’t Have To – Form and Resonance – Medium

"Education is dangerous - every educated person is a future enemy." Hermann Goering

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life. Thus people haunted by the purposelessness of their lives try to find a new content not only by dedicating themselves to a holy cause but also by nursing a fanatical grievance." Eric Hoffer
History INCLUDES everything, people , events and topics you don't like. You may have studied history, but you don't understand it. Please. Lee is definitely part of history, let alone American provincial as much as Lincoln or John Brown or MLK or Malcolm X.

Last edited:
Robert E Lee himself said he wanted no notice for himself after the war. He said it's time to accept the outcome and to the South he said "Raise up your children as Americans". HE understood it was over and time to move on. He wanted no statues of him and would be appalled that all this violence is because of statues erected by people of him that he would have rejected.

Most of these people in the South that claim 'heritage' don't know the history of the civil war.

No, he said to wait for a better times. We have clearly reached that point since the Civil War

-Geaux

No he said never for himself. But he's now just a set piece for politics for the alt-right so they ignore HIS wishes. Yeaaahh.

To continue, Lee woke up over a thousand days and could have changed his mind. As "cool" as his persona has been passed down, I at best consider him similarly to Rommel.

Tell me Lee realized it wss 1860 and helped lead a coup or organized men against slavery and I may reconsider. (Maybe lee has a diary I have not read? Maybe he snuck funds to the underground railroad?) Until the I spit on his grave as well as the stars and bars of slavery.
He freed many slaves sending them to Liberia.

The Lee statues belong in a museum along with the confederate flag, not decorating our land in the USA.

Does the statute of Wilson also only belong in a Museum?

I saw a school named after Wilson. Perhaps they should change the name cuz he was a racist bastage.
FDR and Truman also had ties to the KKK...both democrats. Remove their history too.

General Robert E Lee is a key figure in the history of America. Of that there is no doubt. Of that there is no argument. There was no choice for him but to fight first for his state and then for the Confederacy.

One cannot judge that period in time by the minutes and hours of today's world. One must judge a man's soul and character by the period of time he was living in.

Lee was a man of honor. And as such, when he was commissioned by the Governor of the state to be Commander of the army and the navy of Virginia he accepted the position. This was in April of 1861.

Civil war broke out in May. The troops were transferred to the Confederacy and he was appointed to full General status.

Now if one has a decent bone in their body to recognize the conditions at this time that General Lee was living under one would realize General Lee couldn't say...

"I QUIT".

General Lee was an honorable man fighting on the wrong side of history. But if one is to recognize truth, one has to recognize if the South had won, General Lee would have fought on the right side of history.

Actually he did have a choice. He was offered command of the Union Army by Abraham Lincoln through a man named Edmund J. Davis, a federal judge before the war, a general in the Union Army during the war and the Reconstruction Governor of Texas after the war. Lee CHOSE to resign his commission in the US Army and support Virginia.
Because Virginia was where he was born.

You do not learn history by looking at statues. You learn history by reading literature and watching movies.

The statues create dialogue. People who refuse to learn the history behind them have no right to tear them down.

General Robert E Lee is a key figure in the history of America. Of that there is no doubt. Of that there is no argument. There was no choice for him but to fight first for his state and then for the Confederacy.

One cannot judge that period in time by the minutes and hours of today's world. One must judge a man's soul and character by the period of time he was living in.

Lee was a man of honor. And as such, when he was commissioned by the Governor of the state to be Commander of the army and the navy of Virginia he accepted the position. This was in April of 1861.

Civil war broke out in May. The troops were transferred to the Confederacy and he was appointed to full General status.

Now if one has a decent bone in their body to recognize the conditions at this time that General Lee was living under one would realize General Lee couldn't say...

"I QUIT".

General Lee was an honorable man fighting on the wrong side of history. But if one is to recognize truth, one has to recognize if the South had won, General Lee would have fought on the right side of history.

The Myth of the Kindly General Lee
The legend of the Confederate leader’s heroism and decency is based in the fiction of a person who never existed.

I didn't say he was kind. I said he was honorable. He was called to duty. It's quite simple. As did Sherman. He was not a kind man either. They both did their duty for their respective sides.

General Sherman btw was a key player in the Indian wars. Despite fighting and winning for the Union should we now take down all memorials to Sherman for his wars against the First Nations?
Sherman also had slaves and did not believe slavery would end after the war.

I wonder how much more history the far left thugs will want to erase after this Charleston episode. I'm thinking this is the start of a new industry, tearing down memorials and statues. On the other hand, it's actually been going on for quite awhile like when Tom Sawyer was taken out of many libraries because the word n i g g e r was in the book. The extreme left goons hate the word n i g g e r except when the rap music thugs use it a million times a day on t.v. and radio. Then they squeal and giggle with delight.
They have already started vandalizing statues of catholic saints,Lincoln,unity monuments and protesting the removal of Teddy Roosevelt memorabilia from the NYC museum. As well as red X's from tile work in the NY subways because...it reminds them of the confederate flag.

The Lee statues belong in a museum along with the confederate flag, not decorating our land in the USA.

Does the statute of Wilson also only belong in a Museum?

I saw a school named after Wilson. Perhaps they should change the name cuz he was a racist bastage.
FDR and Truman also had ties to the KKK...both democrats. Remove their history too.
Wow, what Democrat statue is safe these days?

:D

I wonder how much more history the far left thugs will want to erase after this Charleston episode. I'm thinking this is the start of a new industry, tearing down memorials and statues. On the other hand, it's actually been going on for quite awhile like when Tom Sawyer was taken out of many libraries because the word n i g g e r was in the book. The extreme left goons hate the word n i g g e r except when the rap music thugs use it a million times a day on t.v. and radio. Then they squeal and giggle with delight.
They have already started vandalizing statues of catholic saints,Lincoln,unity monuments and protesting the removal of Teddy Roosevelt memorabilia from the NYC museum. As well as red X's from tile work in the NY subways because...it reminds them of the confederate flag.

"I QUIT".

The legend of the Confederate leader’s heroism and decency is based in the fiction of a person who never existed.

I didn't say he was kind. I said he was honorable. He was called to duty. It's quite simple. As did Sherman. He was not a kind man either. They both did their duty for their respective sides.

General Sherman btw was a key player in the Indian wars. Despite fighting and winning for the Union should we now take down all memorials to Sherman for his wars against the First Nations?

Sherman is the man that said the only good Indian is a dead Indian
There's a Democrat for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, is it FDRs turn too?

RooseveltStatue.png

"I QUIT".

TY.

"I am very happy to take part in this unveiling of the statue of General Robert E. Lee.

All over the United States we recognize him as a great leader of men, as a great general. But, also, all over the United States I believe that we recognize him as something much more important than that. We recognize Robert E. Lee as one of our greatest American Christians and one of our greatest American gentlemen."

Franklin Delano Roosevelt June 12th, 1936 in Dallas, Texas.

Robert E Lee himself said he wanted no notice for himself after the war. He said it's time to accept the outcome and to the South he said "Raise up your children as Americans". HE understood it was over and time to move on. He wanted no statues of him and would be appalled that all this violence is because of statues erected by people of him that he would have rejected.

Most of these people in the South that claim 'heritage' don't know the history of the civil war.

No, he said to wait for a better times. We have clearly reached that point since the Civil War

-Geaux

No he said never for himself. But he's now just a set piece for politics for the alt-right so they ignore HIS wishes. Yeaaahh.

-Geaux

Lee also noted
"All I think that can now be done, is to aid our noble & generous women in their efforts to protect the graves & mark the last resting places of those who have fallen, & wait for better times."

Why can't the left honor his words here then? Or, do they only agree with Lee when it fits within their gender?

-Geaux

"Whoever is without sin among you, let him be the first to cast a stone at her." John 8:7

Equivalence is the only argument the conservatives and right have in their basket of apologetic tricks. Once you had a bad thought so obviously you are equivalent to the worst racist or in this case slave owners who wanted to destroy the United States. When you can excuse behaviors or history so easily all evil becomes acceptable. Jesus's injunction on judging Mary Magdalene points to the ambiguity of judgments. Judge not lest.... So then how does the person the society, the nation teach or learn? It is quite easy, not all actions are equivalent, there is context and there is moral progress.

But to answer the States rights nonsense, see below.

States Rights apologies - The Civil War was over Slavery

A few documents and sources about a topic that constantly finds apologists and revisionists. This will be a work in progress as new sources of information are found.

"I can testify about the South under oath. I was born and raised there, and 12 men in my family fought for the Confederacy; two of them were killed. And since I was a boy, the answer I’ve heard to this question, from Virginia to Louisiana (from whites, never from blacks), is this: “The War Between the States was about states’ rights. It was not about slavery.”

I’ve heard it from women and from men, from sober people and from people liquored up on anti-Washington talk. The North wouldn’t let us govern ourselves, they say, and Congress laid on tariffs that hurt the South. So we rebelled. Secession and the Civil War, in other words, were about small government, limited federal powers and states’ rights.

But a look through the declaration of causes written by South Carolina and four of the 10 states that followed it out of the Union — which, taken together, paint a kind of self-portrait of the Confederacy — reveals a different story. From Georgia to Texas, each state said the reason it was getting out was that the awful Northern states were threatening to do away with slavery." Opinion | Gone With the Myths

"Her conclusion is that the Americans who fought the Civil War overwhelmingly thought they were fighting about slavery, and that we should take their word for it."

"In this unprecedented account, Chandra Manning uses letters, diaries, and regimental newspapers to take the reader inside the minds of Civil War soldiers-black and white, Northern and Southern-as they fought and marched across a divided country. With stunning poise and narrative verve, Manning explores how the Union and Confederate soldiers came to identify slavery as the central issue of the war and what that meant for a tumultuous nation. This is a brilliant and eye-opening debut and an invaluable addition to our understanding of the Civil War as it has never been rendered before." What This Cruel War Was Over by Chandra Manning | PenguinRandomHouse.com

"In citing slavery, South Carolina was less an outlier than a leader, setting the tone for other states, including Mississippi:

'Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery—the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin...."

What This Cruel War Was Over

"Benjamin Franklin, in a 1773 letter to Dean Woodward, confirmed that whenever the Americans had attempted to end slavery, the British government had indeed thwarted those attempts. Franklin explained that . . . . a disposition to abolish slavery prevails in North America, that many of Pennsylvanians have set their slaves at liberty, and that even the Virginia Assembly have petitioned the King for permission to make a law for preventing the importation of more into that colony. This request, however, will probably not be granted as their former laws of that kind have always been repealed. " WallBuilders - Issues and Articles - The Founding Fathers and Slavery

Southern arguments for and against: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/86991/southern_arguments_for_and_against.html?cat=37

Argument v Lincoln's position: http://apollo3.com/~jameso/secession.html

Does the constitution allow secession: Does the Constitution Permit the Blue States to Secede? | FindLaw

AmericanHeritage.com / How the North Lost the Civil War

SCOTUS ruling on secession: Texas v. White

Admission of state to union FindLaw: U.S. Constitution: Article IV: Annotations pg. 16 of 18

"A primary element of this Southern understanding of the Constitution was the right to secede. Nowhere does the original document confer the right to detach from the Union, but Southerners still found the act "entirely legitimate under the terms of the federal Constitution” (Cook 114). Perhaps one could construe the tenth amendment to grant such a right, but Article six states that all government officials must support "this Constitution,” which runs contrary to secession (U.S. Const. 6.0.3 and Am. 10, from Gienapp 435-6). Alexander Stevens used this principle as a premise in his argument against secession (59). Yet, despite this Constitutional opposition, or at least ambivalence, to secession, South Carolina declared that it had such a right. " (from above url)

From first post. Civil War was about....

John Bingham and the Story of American Liberty: The Lost Cause Meets the 'Lost Clause' John Bingham and the Story of American Liberty: The Lost Cause Meets the 'Lost Clause' by Michael Kent Curtis :: SSRN

The alt-right

I Studied the Alt-Right So You Don’t Have To: I Studied the Alt-Right So You Don’t Have To – Form and Resonance – Medium

History INCLUDES everything, people , events and topics you don't like. You may have studied history, but you don't understand it. Please. Lee is definitely part of history, let alone American provincial as much as Lincoln or John Brown or MLK or Malcolm X.
:clap:

When in the world did we start trying to deny the existence of things we don't like?

He CHOSE to reject his country and help support a "new" one, killing Americans for 4 years.

He chose to defend his State against invasion and tried to end the war, but Lincoln would have none of it.

Do YOU believe that preventing the southern states from seceding was worth 600,000 lives?

"Whoever is without sin among you, let him be the first to cast a stone at her." John 8:7

Equivalence is the only argument the conservatives and right have in their basket of apologetic tricks. Once you had a bad thought so obviously you are equivalent to the worst racist or in this case slave owners who wanted to destroy the United States. When you can excuse behaviors or history so easily all evil becomes acceptable. Jesus's injunction on judging Mary Magdalene points to the ambiguity of judgments. Judge not lest.... So then how does the person the society, the nation teach or learn? It is quite easy, not all actions are equivalent, there is context and there is moral progress.

Thanks for the hypocritical sermon.

Forum List

Back