retro viruses in our DNA

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
There is an article in this months Discovery Magazine concerning the origins of Schizophrenia and certain other mental disorders and retro viruses carried in our DNA. They also posit that this may be the source of MS.

Any comments by people with experiance in this branch of biology?

The name of the article is "The Insanity Virus"

I don't know anything about this.
I do know that eastern washington has a high rate of MS, higher than most areas. YOu should check that out if you are interested.

Humans have come into contact with numerous viruses throughout their existence on earth. What happens when a person comes into contact with a virus is the virus enters a cell, alters the cell's DNA to replicate the virus thus propagating it's existence in the host until it's overwhelmed by an immune system response or kills the host. When the immune system is able to defeat the virus, the virus leaves behind a small segment of it's DNA that becomes part of our own genome...that's why some viruses no longer affect us when we are re-exposed.

Last edited:
There is most certainly viral DNA in our genome. Those that integrate into our genome, when they excise out of our DNA to go infect others, they leave behind some DNa, and can also take DNA with them. It also plays a role in evolution as it can add and remove DNA.

Retroviruses and primate evolution. [Bioessays. 2000] - PubMed result

retroviruses are in our DNA, they constitute about 1 % of it.

app. 30.000 different retroviruses.

This insanity virus article is most certainly from this one crusading scientist, torrey.

from what i read about him, he seems to be too extreme, and a seller.

One of the points made in the article is that one sees schizophrenia in identical twins, where one is affected, and the other is not. This would seem to indicate an influence other than environment, or normal genetics.

Whether this is Torrey is right or wrong, I don't know, but he makes some good points. And perhaps carries them to far, as in when the K-T extinction was pinned down to the Chixalub impact, researchers tried to blame the many other extinctions on impacts. Nature is never that simple. However, this is an interesting line of research, and should get some interesting information.

This insanity virus article is most certainly from this one crusading scientist, torrey.

One of the points made in the article is that one sees schizophrenia in identical twins, where one is affected, and the other is not. This would seem to indicate an influence other than environment, or normal genetics.

Whether this is Torrey is right or wrong, I don't know, but he makes some good points. And perhaps carries them to far, as in when the K-T extinction was pinned down to the Chixalub impact, researchers tried to blame the many other extinctions on impacts. Nature is never that simple. However, this is an interesting line of research, and should get some interesting information.

identical twins don't necessarily have identical DNA.

with the technology at hands it is now possible to compare whole genomes and find the differences. that is where you would look for the genetic source of a disease. you could also find the proof of a viral infection that has resulted in virus information integration into the host genome.

i think this scientist is a relic of the old nurture OR nature debate.

Yeah....we must dismiss those types outright...we should have dismissed that clown who made a disc out of stone and then had the radical idea to put a hole in the middle, then put a wooden stick between 2 of the discs...crazy guy I tell ya...WTF was he thinking?

Yeah....we must dismiss those types outright...we should have dismissed that clown who made a disc out of stone and then had the radical idea to put a hole in the middle, then put a wooden stick between 2 of the discs...crazy guy I tell ya...WTF was he thinking?

calm down, hoss. wipe your mouth. change your bib.

There is, quite justifiably, a tendency among scientists to resent people in their midst that play too much the salesman, and not enough the sceptical scientist. Cold fusion comes to mind, in that regard.

I am simply seeking data and input on what looks like an interesting idea. And what other scientists in that field think of the presenter of the hypothesis is relevant. Although not nearly as relevant as data.

Forum List

Back