Retired Air Force officer sentenced to 3 years for storing classified information at his Florida home

Who is above the president and therefore able to set protocol and procedure for him or her to follow?
It's dangerous to our nation and our human resources to just wave a magic wand and claim everything Top Secret is declassified without conferring with the agency or Military that classified it top secret.

Just because he is the top guy that can declassify, does not mean it is okay for him to do so, without following the steps necessary to protect our human intelligence resources and our nation.

Last edited:
In 1945 President Roosevelt died. Vice President Truman ascended to the Presidency. One of the factoids of history is how ignorant the Vice President was. Not only did he not know of a lot of programs, including the Manhattan Project. He was ignorant of nearly all code breaking and intelligence activity.

It is a historical fact that this happened and Truman was caught Flat Footed. Since that time most Presidents have taken pains to insure that their Vice Presidents were briefed in on most things. This means that the VP’s were sent files to read. Including Classified documents.

Dozens of files every day. From every department in the executive branch. This way if the worst possible situation should arise, the Vice President can step in and assume the duties. He may not know it all but there is a foundation of knowledge to make the task at least doable. Instead of days or weeks trying to get caught up from zero.

If Pence, Biden, or Cheney had files they were sent by the Presidents office.

The Administration gets hundreds of briefing folders every day. Information the President needs to know. From the mundane, to the vital. Terrorism, diplomatic, legal, and more subjects than you or I can imagine. Most of them have a summary sheet then more information behind it.

I’ve said before. It is absolutely understandable how some documents might end up in the wrong pile. During the hectic period where you are transitioning to another administration people are just grabbing things and stuffing them in boxes. Like the hours before you move your stuff. That would be days or longer in an administration.

Something getting misfiled is all too human. As I said before. There is a difference between a mistake, and a lie. It doesn’t matter which administration it is. I will give the benefit of the doubt to a mistake. Mistakes happen. The smartest people in the world make mistakes. I make them. And I’ll laugh if you post that you’ve never made one.

The question is are you, I, or them honest about it? Pence was just cleared. The Federal Investigators believed it was a mistake. A mistake. Most people are like me. They believe in forgiving an honest mistake.

Pence had documents. But when they were found he called someone and when they wanted to look for more he cooperated. He did everything an honest man is supposed to. According to Reports a similar situation occurred with Biden.

That is far different than lying about it.
It's a fair and understandable assessment, but Trump should be cleared as well, but we know why he isn't being cleared. It's because Trump has to be destroyed at all cost just because he actually is that tough ace boss that fired people, and didn't take no bull shite on "The Apprentice and the Celebrity Apprentice" whether it was real or not....... Trump even has a Hollywood Star. Trump ran various corporation's, has properties all over the world, made a small but impressive fortune over an active career where he never sleeps. He's lived the American dream (every facet of it), and even became president at one of the most volital time's in American history. The man took a beating, but keeps on ticking.

My only problem with Trump is his method of winning or needing to win now, because it's not going to work if he goes after his opponent's personally, so he has to just let the issue's and policies touted be the winner for him. Desantis is going to stay focused on that I believe, and that could be a huge strategy for him to win. The politics of personal destruction is a turn off to most voter's unless the reasoning is a valid one.

Trump didn't have any good candidate opponent's that weren't a part of Washington cronyism in 2016, so he was knocking them down like flies. It's different this time, so he best becareful if he wants it all to work somehow in his favor again.

It's dangerous to our nation and our human resources to just wave a magic wand and claim everything Top Secret is declassified without conferring with the agency or Military that classified it top secret.

Just because he is the top guy that can declassify, does not mean it is okay for him to do so, without following the steps necessary to protect our human intelligence resources and our nation.
This post infers that Trump declassified unclassifiable material when you have absolutely no proof of that.

There are no “steps” for the President to declassify a document. There just aren’t.

LOL....then why did McCabe get fired?
Well, if you opened a case against a President who does not like being investigated......you would get fired too. Trump is famous for firing people who will not do as he tells them.

Trump turned all of his followers against the FBI and the CIA. Only Trump was to be believed. He still thinks that way about the documents, or anything else.
---------------
Former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe said he was ousted from the bureau in March 2018 because he opened two investigations into President Donald Trump 10 months earlier.

“I believe I was fired because I opened a case against the president of the United States,” McCabe told host Scott Pelley during an interview on CBS News’ “60 Minutes” that aired Sunday.

Former Attorney General Jeff Sessions dismissed McCabe — a little more than a day before he was set to formally retire — at, Sessions said, the recommendation of the FBI’s Office of Professional Responsibility, which cited findings from a report by the Justice Department’s inspector general.

The department watchdog concluded that McCabe inappropriately authorized the disclosure of information to a Wall Street Journal reporter about an ongoing investigation into the Clinton Foundation, and lied about the leak to officials at DOJ.

Trump tweeted at the time that McCabe’s firing marked “a great day for the hard working men and women of the FBI — A great day for Democracy.”

Reflecting on that pronouncement during his “60 Minutes” appearance, McCabe said: “The idea that this president would know what a great day for the FBI or a great day for democracy was is preposterous.”

McCabe was elevated to the role of acting FBI director in May 2017 after Trump fired FBI Director James Comey, and said he promptly opened two investigations into the president. A criminal inquiry focused on whether Trump obstructed justice by firing Comey, and a separate counterintelligence probe sought to determine whether the president was acting on behalf of the Russian government.

To justify his firing of Comey, Trump cited a three-page memo by Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein that detailed actions Comey took in relation to the FBI’s investigation of Hillary Clinton’s private email during her time as secretary of State.

But McCabe on Sunday claimed that Trump had urged Rosenstein to reference in his memo the bureau’s investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election.

“Rod was concerned by his interactions with the president, who seemed to be very focused on firing the director and saying things like, ‘Make sure you put Russia in your memo.’ That concerned Rod in the same way that it concerned me and the FBI investigators on the Russia case,” McCabe said.

“He explained to the president that he did not need Russia in his memo. And the president responded, ‘I understand that, I am asking you to put Russia in the memo anyway.’”

In discussing concerns about Trump’s attitude toward Russia, McCabe recounted on “60 Minutes” a briefing he received from a bureau official who had attended a meeting with the president. McCabe said the official described Trump siding with Russian President Vladimir Putin over American intelligence officials on the subject of North Korea’s nuclear capabilities.

“Essentially, the president said he did not believe that the North Koreans had the capability to hit us here with ballistic missiles in the United States. And he did not believe that because President Putin had told him they did not. President Putin had told him that the North Koreans don’t actually have those missiles,” McCabe said.

“Intelligence officials in the briefing responded that that was not consistent with any of the intelligence our government possesses, to which the president replied, ‘I don’t care. I believe Putin.’”

In a statement to CBS News, the White House accused McCabe of opening “a completely baseless investigation into the president,” and said that he has “no credibility.”

Fifteen minutes before the airing of McCabe’s interview, the president tweeted that special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation “is totally conflicted, illegal and rigged,” adding: “Should never have been allowed to begin, except for the Collusion and many crimes committed by the Democrats. Witch Hunt!”

There are no “steps” for the President to declassify a document. There just aren’t.

HOW DOES DECLASSIFICATION WORK?​

There's also a detailed process for declassification with rules laid out under executive order. Typically, if a president wants to declassify something, he checks with the agency in charge, which has broad say in whether the information becomes public, Gerstell said.

If documents are declassified, there’s usually a painstaking process of blacking out what information still stays secret. “It’s not a question of a concept being declassified, or boxes of documents. It’s a word by word determination,” he said.

The declassification order must be memorialized and any agencies that are affected have to be notified, Moss said. The individual documents then have to be re-marked to show they’re no longer considered classified.

“It’s not clear what Jedi-like lawyers said that you could declassify things with a thought, but the courts are unlikely to embrace that claim,” said Jonathan Turley, a George Washington University law professor who was a Republican witness during the first impeachment proceedings against Trump in 2019.

The Justice Department has said there is no indication that Trump took any steps to declassify the documents seized from his Florida home.

HOW DOES DECLASSIFICATION WORK?​

There's also a detailed process for declassification with rules laid out under executive order. Typically, if a president wants to declassify something, he checks with the agency in charge, which has broad say in whether the information becomes public, Gerstell said.

If documents are declassified, there’s usually a painstaking process of blacking out what information still stays secret. “It’s not a question of a concept being declassified, or boxes of documents. It’s a word by word determination,” he said.

The declassification order must be memorialized and any agencies that are affected have to be notified, Moss said. The individual documents then have to be re-marked to show they’re no longer considered classified.

“It’s not clear what Jedi-like lawyers said that you could declassify things with a thought, but the courts are unlikely to embrace that claim,” said Jonathan Turley, a George Washington University law professor who was a Republican witness during the first impeachment proceedings against Trump in 2019.

The Justice Department has said there is no indication that Trump took any steps to declassify the documents seized from his Florida home.

The President is the top classification authority. He/she doesn’t have to ask any other entity whether they can or should declassify something.

The President is the top classification authority. He/she doesn’t have to ask any other entity whether they can or should declassify something.
They do. Or documents could disappear or end up in enemies hands and who would be responsible for their disappearance? The President.

Wanting to believe what Trump said, that he magically declassified them, is on you.

It is not a matter or can or should. It is a matter of keeping record of what has been declassified so that they can be returned to their place when the President is finished with them.

It is no different than taking out a book from the library.

It's a fair and understandable assessment, but Trump should be cleared as well, but we know why he isn't being cleared. It's because Trump has to be destroyed at all cost just because he actually is that tough ace boss that fired people, and didn't take no bull shite on "The Apprentice and the Celebrity Apprentice" whether it was real or not....... Trump even has a Hollywood Star. Trump ran various corporation's, has properties all over the world, made a small but impressive fortune over an active career where he never sleeps. He's lived the American dream (every facet of it), and even became president at one of the most volital time's in American history. The man took a beating, but keeps on ticking.

My only problem with Trump is his method of winning or needing to win now, because it's not going to work if he goes after his opponent's personally, so he has to just let the issue's and policies touted be the winner for him. Desantis is going to stay focused on that I believe, and that could be a huge strategy for him to win. The politics of personal destruction is a turn off to most voter's unless the reasoning is a valid one.

Trump didn't have any good candidate opponent's that weren't a part of Washington cronyism in 2016, so he was knocking them down like flies. It's different this time, so he best becareful if he wants it all to work somehow in his favor again.

Again. The differences are the devil in this particular situation.

First. The Classified Documents were discovered originally by the National Archives team looking for papers from his presidency that were required to be turned over. They mentioned it to the Trump representative and the FBI. The FBI sent a letter requesting any and all classified documents be turned over.

In fact. Let me save myself some typing.

Very different. Not even apples and oranges.

They do. Or documents could disappear or end up in enemies hands and who would be responsible for their disappearance? The President.

Wanting to believe what Trump said, that he magically declassified them, is on you.

It is not a matter or can or should. It is a matter of keeping record of what has been declassified so that they can be returned to their place when the President is finished with them.

They really don’t. You saying they do doesn’t change that.

They really don’t. You saying they do doesn’t change that.
Come on, the US law says exactly what I said, be it for Trump or any other President. That has been the law since Nixon, since 1974.

But somehow when Trump became President that law became null and he could just declassify without following the procedure set up by those laws?

Only Trump?

If they know what's missing, then they have copies or record's correct ? Ok, so what's really the issue is whether or not the documents they claim are missing were of the utmost security sensitivity, and therefore they wanted them returned or either to make sure that they are in a secure and safe location (i.e. FBI tells Trump to place a better lock on the door), so undoubtedly the security sensitivity issue wasn't so dire that any immediate drastic measures had to be taken right ?

Now in a political sense, otherwise when the opposition gets word of the issue, it then pounced like a cat on a mouse, and with the use of it's FBI and justice department as it's claw's.

If they know what's missing, then they have copies or record's correct ? Ok, so what's really the issue is whether or not the documents they claim are missing were of the utmost security sensitivity, and therefore they wanted them returned or either to make sure that they are in a secure and safe location (i.e. FBI tells Trump to place a better lock on the door), so undoubtedly the security sensitivity issue wasn't so dire that any immediate drastic measures had to be taken right ?

Now in a political sense, otherwise when the opposition gets word of the issue, it then pounced like a cat on a mouse, and with the use of it's FBI and justice department as it's claw's.
They do not have copies. You are endlessly attempting to excuse what Trump did.

He chose and then took from the WH, on January 20th, 2021 documents which belong TO the Government of the USA, and should have stayed there. He took boxes and boxes.

15 of those boxes he willingly returned in January 2022. Then returned a few more in May. Then would not return what NARA knew was missing from then on, so the FBI had to go and get them. And more in a storage place. And possibly there could be more in New Jersey.

The Documents belong to the GOVERNMENT of the USA, not to the President, former Presidents, or anyone else, and they must be given to NARA.

Come on, the US law says exactly what I said, be it for Trump or any other President. That has been the law since Nixon, since 1974.

But somehow when Trump became President that law became null and he could just declassify without following the procedure set up by those laws?

Only Trump?
Who is the Classification Authority? Where does everyone else who’s classifying things derive their authority from?

The President. So even when it’s Trump the President is the ultimate classification authority. The office from which all classification authority is derived from and therefore doesn’t have to ask permission to declassify something.

Who is the Classification Authority? Where does everyone else who’s classifying things derive their authority from?

The President. So even when it’s Trump the President is the ultimate classification authority. The office from which all classification authority is derived from and therefore doesn’t have to ask permission to declassify something.
If any President wants to declassify any document they MUST go though the process of declassifying them with the organization set up exactly for that purpose so that the government knows what documents have been declassified. So that they have a way of knowing, after any President leaves, what documents the government is supposed to have as ALL documents must be archived by NARA.

It is not "permission", it is a process to make sure that Secret and Classified documents, which could cause the death of agents on the field, do not end in the wrong hands at any time.

Homeland Security. I am sure you should be worrying about it with any President. THat any and all of them are being as careful and not taking or keeping documents on purpose, which is what Trump did after he left the WH.

NO President is allowed to take documents with themselves, which are not their private ones, after they leave the WH.

They do not have copies. You are endlessly attempting to excuse what Trump did.

He chose and then took from the WH, on January 20th, 2021 documents which belong TO the Government of the USA, and should have stayed there. He took boxes and boxes.

15 of those boxes he willingly returned in January 2022. Then returned a few more in May. Then would not return what NARA knew was missing from then on, so the FBI had to go and get them. And more in a storage place. And possibly there could be more in New Jersey.

The Documents belong to the GOVERNMENT of the USA, not to the President, former Presidents, or anyone else, and they must be given to NARA.
Ok so the question is repetitiveness, otherwise has the government been consistent when it comes to it's urgency to go and get so called document's that it figure's to be of a national security threat or not from former president's or if allowed vice presidents or an appointee ? What are the patterns, and is this something that the government has struggled with greatly over the year's or did it all of a sudden start with Trump due to a political witch hunt in constant play ??

If any President wants to declassify any document they MUST go though the process of declassifying them with the organization set up exactly for that purpose so that the government knows what documents have been declassified. So that they have a way of knowing, after any President leaves, what documents the government is supposed to have as ALL documents must be archived by NARA.

It is not "permission", it is a process to make sure that Secret and Classified documents, which could cause the death of agents on the field, do not end in the wrong hands at any time.

Homeland Security. I am sure you should be worrying about it with any President. THat any and all of them are being as careful and not taking or keeping documents on purpose, which is what Trump did after he left the WH.

NO President is allowed to take documents with themselves, which are not their private ones, after they leave the WH.
Did Trump have documents that endangered official's in the field ? Come on now, tell us oh wise one.

Ok so the question is repetitiveness, otherwise has the government been consistent when it comes to it's urgency to go and get so called document's that it figure's to be of a national security threat or not from former president's or if allowed vice presidents or an appointee ? What are the patterns, and is this something that the government has struggled with greatly over the year's or did it all of a sudden start with Trump due to a political witch hunt in constant play ??
Trump, aka Lord Voldemort, has an issue with following rules. Mainly because he has been President of his own organization for decades.

The Presidency of the USA is a totally different kind of organization. The documents do not belong to any President, Vice President, etc, etc.

If found and given back willingly, there has never been an issue. It is not the case with Trump after he returned the first 15 boxes.

What the issue is with Trump after May 2022 is pure obstruction to return all the other documents he had, which have also been proven recently to have been moved out of the storage place at Mar-a-lago before the day before the FBI was to come to check for more documents.

Trump's way to rile people like yourself is by repeating the words RIGGED and WITCH HUNT.
As none of you know, or care, what the rule of law is in your own country, Trump gets the reaction he wants from those who have loved him since his Real Estate or his Tv Show.

Do not ask yourself why Trump made sure that his supporters would send him donations after he started refusing to give the documents.

Do not ask yourself why Trump asked for donations after he left the WH.

Is he a Billionaire or not?

I do not know of ANY Billionaire who constantly asks for money for one reason or another. For charity, that is one thing, but Trump has never given any money for Charity which is why his Charity organization was closed. And so was Trump University. No real diplomas ever came out of that University and it had to be shut down.

Rule of Law is rule of law.

Here is the timeline of NARA attempting to get all government documents back from Trump. This is the most recent one.

What you choose to believe is on you.

Maybe you're right about that. Write your congressman and tell him "there oughta be a law!" Right now there is not a law saying that the president cannot declassify documents without permission from the agency or the military.

Are you sure you want the president to have to get permission from an agency or the military? That sounds very "Spy Kids" to me.
I'm glad you admit that he can declassify. I hope your fellow Dems don't chide you too hard for saying the truth out loud.

As to the declassification of the documents at Mar-a-Lago in particular, I'll wait for specifics on how exactly storying declassified docuemnts in a secure location with Secret Service protection endangered out human intelligence resources and out nation. That will come when they put Trump on trial over the documents.

So never.

Did Trump have documents that endangered official's in the field ? Come on now, tell us oh wise one.
Oh, ignorant one.

The whole picture has not come out yet, and NARA is never going to say what documents Trump had because Russia and others would then know what they were.

Oh, wise one :(

Forum List

Back