Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service dog!

The veteran carries the papers with him and even showed them to the restaurant owner.

But the idiot owner said they were fake and called 9/11

Then the veteran showed them to the police.

The police then presented them to the owner and said they were genuine.

The owner said that he didn't care and still kicked the vet and his dog out of the diner.

What a nitwit......... :cuckoo:

You have no idea how easy it is to get a dog designated as a "service" dog. It's as easy as asking a friendly doctor. Hells bells, the doc who gives out the medical marijuana cards at the pot clinic will do it for $50.00.

The use of service dogs is flat being abused. This guy is one of the abusers.

Those dogs are VERY expensive. I have had some paid for by the VA and others paid for by the patient. Either way, they are specially trained dogs.

And you can stop telling me I have 'no idea' about my own line of work. You are the one who is clueless. If you know a doctor who is dealing in cannabis or fake therapy dogs, it is incumbent up on you to report him, otherwise you are an accomplice.

I gave you a link where you can get the paperwork, vest and anything else you need to get your Fido considered a service dog. You are the one who posted a link explaining what a therapy dog is. Now you're trying to wiggle out. If you KNOW what a service dog is and what a therapy dog is, then you would surely have been aware that therapy dogs are not out of the possession of their own handlers.

Service dogs are highly trained working dogs. Emotional support dogs require nothing more than someone to say they need the dog with them. I know several people who have emotional support dogs that are designated as service dogs who are nothing more than pets. Pets lack the rigorous training that real service dogs go through. The guy just doesn't want to leave his dog home. He wants to be accommodated.

The abuse of the term service dog is what leads to the doubt that any dog who is not in service to someone with an obvious disability. The whole post traumatic stress thing is half a crock anyway.

That is not true. They require special training. I have already posted a link to a legitimate trainer of therapy dogs. Some veterans can get agitated when they are around people or if an individual challenges them. The dog is trained to step in between the veteran and the person who is causing him a problem.

You just did not read your own link. You are misunderstanding the term "therapy" dog.

If a veteran gets agitated around other people, he should stay on his meds.

You are dumber than a worm if you think meds is all there is to the treatment of PTSD. And veterans have as much right to be able to go into public as you.

I have helped veterans get these dogs. This is just sickening.

When James Glaser stepped into Big I’s Restaurant in Oxford, Massachusetts with his service dog Jack, he was quickly told to leave in no uncertain terms. Glaser, a 41-year-old Air Force veteran, was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder in November of 2011 when he retired and says that he does not leave his house without Jack by his side. The veteran explained what happened to WHDH 7 News, “I hear, ‘Get that fake service dog out of my restaurant!.’” Big I’s owner, Russell Ireland didn’t consider the canine a true service dog and said, “This is a post-traumatic stress dog. It's to give him emotional support. How much emotional support do you need when you are eating breakfast?”

Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service dog

Awe is it? Where is the argument about this private business should be able to serve who it wants? Selective outrage is still selective outrage.

This vet was faking because he wants to take his dog everywhere he goes. I don't blame him for wanting his dog, I do blame him for being a fraud. Of course there are TONS of vets who claim emotional injury as an excuse for just bad behavior. If he cannot control himself, he can stay home or get a blankey. There are gang members that have seen more action than many of these vets.

I wonder if the op will be this outraged when a church refuses to marry a gay couple? Or will she support the right of the church to refuse people.

I wonder if the op will be this outraged when a church refuses to marry a gay couple? Or will she support the right of the church to refuse people.

I have no particular agenda for or against. I am just amazed that so few people saw this coming. Because I work in health care, I certainly saw it as early as the mid 80s when the gay lifestyle began being eschewed for monogamy. I have posted before that gays should marry one another and not marry our unsuspecting sons and daughters and then go on the down low. The only problem is financial. We have not planned in the country for this many more to have the financial benefits of marriage.

Now, please get back on topic.

This vet was faking because he wants to take his dog everywhere he goes. I don't blame him for wanting his dog, I do blame him for being a fraud. Of course there are TONS of vets who claim emotional injury as an excuse for just bad behavior. If he cannot control himself, he can stay home or get a blankey. There are gang members that have seen more action than many of these vets.

They are supposed to take their therapy dogs everywhere they go.

I must say that I am seeing you in a new light today. You will get no more positive rep from me, chickie.

That is not true. They require special training. I have already posted a link to a legitimate trainer of therapy dogs. Some veterans can get agitated when they are around people or if an individual challenges them. The dog is trained to step in between the veteran and the person who is causing him a problem.

You just did not read your own link. You are misunderstanding the term "therapy" dog.

If a veteran gets agitated around other people, he should stay on his meds.

You are dumber than a worm if you think meds is all there is to the treatment of PTSD. And veterans have as much right to be able to go into public as you.

Sure they do. They just claim some sort of "right" to act like fools when they are in public and have their inexcusable behavior excused because they gots those injuries. So they get as many drugs as they can, buy service dog kits on line, and expect to be excused no matter what they do.

Vets capitalizing on their fakery makes me as mad as Braulio Castillo made Tammy Duckworth.

I must say that I am seeing you in a new light today. You will get no more positive rep from me, chickie.

If you're seeing Katz in a new light, you may not have read many of his/her previous posts. Katz has been abrasive and perfectly happy to see people suffer and die in many other posts. :eusa_whistle:

I have no particular agenda for or against. I am just amazed that so few people saw this coming. Because I work in health care, I certainly saw it as early as the mid 80s when the gay lifestyle began being eschewed for monogamy. I have posted before that gays should marry one another and not marry our unsuspecting sons and daughters and then go on the down low. The only problem is financial. We have not planned in the country for this many more to have the financial benefits of marriage.

Now, please get back on topic.

Yes, the FINANCIAL reasons are the ones which prevent nonproductive members of the society to have the same benefits as productive - it is as simple as that and goes back to ice age .

On the fakiness of the service dogs.

This particular vet seems to have legitimate dog.
Since the papers can be faked, is there a possible test how to distinguish them?
Seems it will be the best way - the real trained dogs to be taught some function which can be tested by suspecting owners or else?

Will also diminish the amount of outrage in the general public.

an emotional support dog is not a service dog. service dogs are awesome. emotional support dogs are for sad people without friends.

Service dogs are highly trained working dogs. Emotional support dogs require nothing more than someone to say they need the dog with them. I know several people who have emotional support dogs that are designated as service dogs who are nothing more than pets. Pets lack the rigorous training that real service dogs go through. The guy just doesn't want to leave his dog home. He wants to be accommodated.

The abuse of the term service dog is what leads to the doubt that any dog who is not in service to someone with an obvious disability. The whole post traumatic stress thing is half a crock anyway.

Everyone understands a seeing eye dog. But these "stress relief dogs" ? Every dog owner can claim their dog relieves stress and many cause stress among other patrons.

If the vet has a legitimate need for his dog, let him carry some kind of a certification that the dog is a service dog and show it when you enter a place of business

He does and he did. Read the story. The dog was TRAINED and has certification.

Therapy dogs don't go anywhere without their own handlers. As per the link you provided.

Ohhhh I see. You are confusing therapy dogs with emotional support dogs. They are two different "animals".

If you want your dog registered as an emotional support dog, here's how to do it.

NSAR Service Dog Certification - Emotional Support Animals

You will get your prescription in the mail as soon as you fill out this on line application.

Chilhowee Psychological Services

Then register your newly certified service pet here

http://nsarco.com/registeryouranimal.html

And it ONLY costs $64.95!

Can't you tell a scam when you see one? Don't you see this vet as a scammer? Dogs that are emotional support dogs have no training and no qualifications. They are not there as helper dogs, but to provide emotional support only.

I can't blame the guy for wanting to take his dog everywhere he goes. I take my dog everywhere I go but I don't lie about it. I ask politely if they have seating for pets and if they don't, I go someplace else.

I don't see the problem.

If the owner doesn't want dogs in his restaurant so what?

There are plenty of other restaurant owners who would love the business.

The Civil Rights Act requires restaurants open to interstate commerce make reasonable accommodations for the handicapped and disabled.

And in this case the dog is licensed certified and trained to be a service dog. The guy even presented the certification to the owner before he called the cops.

Therapy dogs don't go anywhere without their own handlers. As per the link you provided.

Ohhhh I see. You are confusing therapy dogs with emotional support dogs. They are two different "animals".

If you want your dog registered as an emotional support dog, here's how to do it.

NSAR Service Dog Certification - Emotional Support Animals

You will get your prescription in the mail as soon as you fill out this on line application.

Chilhowee Psychological Services

Then register your newly certified service pet here

http://nsarco.com/registeryouranimal.html

And it ONLY costs $64.95!

Can't you tell a scam when you see one? Don't you see this vet as a scammer? Dogs that are emotional support dogs have no training and no qualifications. They are not there as helper dogs, but to provide emotional support only.

I can't blame the guy for wanting to take his dog everywhere he goes. I take my dog everywhere I go but I don't lie about it. I ask politely if they have seating for pets and if they don't, I go someplace else.
Read the damn article, the dog was TRAINED.

What surprises me....is that you are surprised by Katzndogz behavior.

I don't see the problem.

If the owner doesn't want dogs in his restaurant so what?

There are plenty of other restaurant owners who would love the business.

The Civil Rights Act requires restaurants open to interstate commerce make reasonable accommodations for the handicapped and disabled.

And in this case the dog is licensed certified and trained to be a service dog. The guy even presented the certification to the owner before he called the cops.

Yeah, he just got that certification in the mail. It's legit. He paid for it.

Good thing someone is doing something about this fraud.

ADA to Crack Down on Bogus Service Animals | NCHPAD Blog - Endless CapABILITIES

However, starting on March 15th, only service dogs and trained miniature horses will be protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act, reports The Wall Street Journal. Why this drastic change? Because some people believe there are too many bogus service animals – people who are taking advantage of the system in order to keep their beloved pets handy at all times

You learn something every day. The guy shoulda got a HORSE!

Rhonda Kimmel who has no disability and bought her terrier, Maxx, a therapy dog vest online. She takes Maxx everywhere she goes; Rhonda gets by with it because businesses don’t risk the $50k penality by suggesting Rhonda is neither disabled, nor is her dog a service animal. She told WSJ that she “hates to ‘take advantage.’ But she lives in such a hot climate, she argues that the only place Maxx can get some decent summer exercise is in the air-conditioned mall.”

People such as she, pretending to have a disability and passing off bogus pets as service animals, are the ones who may ruin therapy and service animals for everyone. In Rhonda’s case, it’s a dog which will for sure still be an ADA safely declared service animal in which businesses still will take great risks to asks about disability or reason for the service animal.

Some people use the excuse of service animals to take their pets on planes and to avoid shipping them as cargo. Airlines are only allowed to ask passengers with physical disabilities how the animal assists them, but people with psychiatric or emotional-support animals are required to “submit a letter from a licensed mental-health professional that documents their mental or emotional illness.”

The restaurant owner and the police did it wrong. They weren't supposed to ask about the animal's credentials but a psychiatric report from the man's doctor which documents the need for a service animal. Per the ADA.

Forum List

Back