Requiring a Photo ID to Vote Is "Voter Suppression"???

“Voter suppression has taken many forms,” says Samuel L. Jackson in a new Biden ad. “First, they used the poll tax to keep Black folks from voting. Then it was the literacy test, racial terrorism, and violence.” What's the latest supposed form of "voter suppression"? Simply being asked to show a valid photo ID before being allowed to vote! Why? Because allegedly being asked to show a photo ID is "intimidating" and even "threatening." What utter nonsense.

Do the people who supposedly feel "intimidated" and "threatened" by merely being asked to show a photo ID before they vote--do these people ever buy alcohol, tobacco products, or cell phone contracts? All of these transactions require the buyer to show a photo ID before they can make the purchase. You can't board a commercial airliner without showing a photo ID. So if these folks don't mind showing a photo ID to buy alcohol, tobacco products, and cell phone contracts, and to board a plane, why do they mind showing a photo ID to vote?

Any sentient person knows that Democrats oppose photo ID laws because the photo ID requirement makes it much harder to commit voter fraud. Democrats know that the vast majority of fraudulent voters will vote for Democrats, and that's why they don't like photo ID laws.
Therefore requiring an ID to drive or even board an airplane must be suppression too.
Hell if I had my way you'd not only first have to have a voter ID to vote you'd also have to earn it by fulfilling a requirement to service to your nation with some years of service. Say two years in the military or 4 years works on the nations infrastructure. Of course you wouldn't have to serve but your never be allowed to vote or have a say until you did. Not exceptions or exemptions allowed, if you're unfit, unable or unwilling to serve in any capacity then you're certainly unfit to vote.
You're insane.

Citizens who do not have a government issued photo I'D have lived from birth here, without one.... and still are living, without a gvt issued photo I'D.

Why do they all of a sudden, need this govt control over them, in order to live their lives with liberty, as they always have...including being able to vote, if they are registered.

It's a poll tax, in the sense that it discriminates, against the poor and disabled who do not own cars and drive, vs the citizen who does drive and has to take no extra measures in order to vote, because they already have an acceptable gvt issued drivers licence.

So anyone who has enough money or borrowing power to own a car, has to do zip, to continue voting, but those who do not have the means or need to drive, do have to go through hoops, in order to continue to vote.

My mother in law lived her whole life until she was in her late 70's, without a gvt issued photo ID, when my father in law passed onward, she learned how to drive.

There is no reason people who have never the need for a gvt issued voter ID, should not be able to show their social security card with a recent electric bill with their name and address, to show they are who is registered at that address on the voter roll....or two ids with similar information....like their property tax bill etc....

For a citizen who is too poor or disabled or etc.... that do not own cars or have access to a car to drive, it is much harder...several bus ride and transfers away from a DMV to get a gvt issued picture id, it is money lost, from their hourly job....and they likely need every penny, and if they do not have their birth certificate, it's another $20 bucks to get a copy mailed to them.

After Georgia passed their voter ID laws, they then closed 3 out of 4 DMVs, in local black neighborhoods, making it much harder for them to get to....

This entire voter id right wing venture, solved no voter fraud problems that existed. There never was an identity theft problem at the polls.... So, without any doubt, the sole purpose, was to disenfranchise a segment of voters, who they believed voted mostly for left wing candidates.
You are so full of shit your breath stinks.

How does having a gvt issued photo ID at the polling place, stop an illegal from voting? Illegals can get drivers licences in most all states that they live in.

Why or how are they registered and on the voter rolls in the first place?

Nip it in the bud.... when voters are registering to vote, the State should vet for citizenship....They should not be on the voter roll....

Some gvt issued photo id that you have to show the poll worker that you are the person on the voter roll ain't gonna stop any illegal from voting if their name is already registered and on the voter rolls..... for goodness sake! GET THEM OFF THE VOTER ROLL! Vet applicants that register! There is a whole system set up for employers where they can check if their new hire is a citizen or not e-verify...this vetting, including them checking other things like whether they live there, whether a felon, etc should all be done before the State approves them and sends them a voter registration card!

Which proves the whole GOP alleged purpose for gvt ids at the poll, is simply to disenfranchise the poor and disabled....that the GOP thinks will vote for Dems.

Last edited:
I had to renew my driver's license this year. They even made me take an eye test. This was obvious suppression to take away the right of blind people to drive a car. :smoke:

Last edited:
Do the people who supposedly feel "intimidated" and "threatened" by merely being asked to show a photo ID before they vote--do these people ever buy alcohol, tobacco products, or cell phone contracts? All of these transactions require the buyer to show a photo ID before they can make the purchase.

Hey, Mormon Mike. Except for one village here in IL, no one cards me for an alcohol buy. Why? Because you can easily tell I'm a man in my 50's. (There's this one village that cards everyone, and they are idiots.)

The reason why we require ID's for tobacco now is because for years, the tobacco industry DELIBERATELY marketed their products to children.

There's really no evidence anyone was engaged in wide-spread voter fraud. This is just another attempt to keep poor people from voting, since they don't always have a current ID with their current address.

Illegals can get drivers licences in most all states that they live in.

Think about that for a minute. A person is illegally in this country but can go into a state government office and they will provide you with a state issued id as opposed to a free ride to the jailhouse. Not so much as a note sent to ICE about this illegal immigrant who showed up and got their picture taken and provided an address to where they are living. Democrats pushed for driver's licenses for illegals in the hopes that eventually it would lead to them being able to vote. If a few get to vote illegally by having a driver's licenses , that works too. Don't be so naïve.

...that the GOP thinks will vote for Dems.

They know they will vote for Democrats. The vast majority of criminals and the very poor/dependent vote for Democrats. I can't imagine why.

I got my voter registration card 40 years ago. That's all I need to vote. That's all I'm ever going to need.
TN has your voter information in a chip on the Driver's License. We scan it at the poll and that tells them whether we voted already or not, or if we're registered.

Great. What if you don't have one?
We don't have a great mass transit system in TN....so just about everyone within voting age has one.
But if you don't have one...everyone is issued a registration card. The chip on our license is just there to speed up voting.

Illegals can get drivers licences in most all states that they live in.

Think about that for a minute. A person is illegally in this country but can go into a state government office and they will provide you with a state issued id as opposed to a free ride to the jailhouse. Not so much as a note sent to ICE about this illegal immigrant who showed up and got their picture taken and provided an address to where they are living. Democrats pushed for driver's licenses for illegals in the hopes that eventually it would lead to them being able to vote. If a few get to vote illegally by having a driver's licenses , that works too. Don't be so naïve.

...that the GOP thinks will vote for Dems.

They know they will vote for Democrats. The vast majority of criminals and the very poor/dependent vote for Democrats. I can't imagine why.

States are unable to determine who is here legally or not. This has been covered over and over. You want to get mad at entities that can not control the situation but not at those who can. At least right now you do because of politics.

States have understood that since the federal government refuses to address the situation and since those here illegally are going to drive that they need to make sure they know the laws.

I got my voter registration card 40 years ago. That's all I need to vote. That's all I'm ever going to need.
TN has your voter information in a chip on the Driver's License. We scan it at the poll and that tells them whether we voted already or not, or if we're registered.

Great. What if you don't have one?
We don't have a great mass transit system in TN....so just about everyone within voting age has one.
But if you don't have one...everyone is issued a registration card. The chip on our license is just there to speed up voting.

I've noted many, many times that states can make a photo I.D. a part of your voter I.D. for a long time now. As you note it's not going to catch everyone right away. States don't though by and large. They just complain that there aren't any. There aren't any because they won't do it.

It will take awhile to cover everyone but it will take forever if it's not done. No one says they can't. The argument is that no one registered should have to do anything else to vote. I have a voters registration card and I should be able to use that without doing anything additional. IF when I have to update my D.L. they want to make it a D.L/voters registration card they can.

They still need to allow those who only have a registration card vote. They could have been making photo voter registration cards for years. They didn't.

States are unable to determine who is here legally or not. This has been covered over and over. You want to get mad at entities that can not control the situation but not at those who can. At least right now you do because of politics.

" The new laws allow for a distinct, marked license to be issued to drivers who cannot satisfy the immigration, Social Security number, or other document-related requirements for obtaining a regular license under the state’s driver’s license laws."

So these licenses can be marked but we can't pass along the information to ICE for further investigation. You know exactly what is going on here.

I've noted many, many times that states can make a photo I.D. a part of your voter I.D. for a long time now. As you note it's not going to catch everyone right away. States don't though by and large. They just complain that there aren't any. There aren't any because they won't do it.

It will take awhile to cover everyone but it will take forever if it's not done. No one says they can't. The argument is that no one registered should have to do anything else to vote. I have a voters registration card and I should be able to use that without doing anything additional. IF when I have to update my D.L. they want to make it a D.L/voters registration card they can.

They still need to allow those who only have a registration card vote. They could have been making photo voter registration cards for years. They didn't.

Funny, just the opposite is true for me. I lost my voter registration card years ago. I show my DL and vote. I could also show a state issued ID, but I must show a state/federal issued picture ID. Makes perfect sense to most folks, even the ones the left evidently feels are not savvy enough to get one.

" The new laws allow for a distinct, marked license to be issued to drivers who cannot satisfy the immigration, Social Security number, or other document-related requirements for obtaining a regular license under the state’s driver’s license laws."

So these licenses can be marked but we can't pass along the information to ICE for further investigation. You know exactly what is going on here.

I do. You are being played. Remember when Trump was going to round up a million illegals and then did nothing? Remember when the investigation that started under Obama raided the business in Mississippi and the illegals were rounded up and then brought back to work with no one being charged for anything?

You are being played.

Funny, just the opposite is true for me. I lost my voter registration card years ago. I show my DL and vote. I could also show a state issued ID, but I must show a state/federal issued picture ID. Makes perfect sense to most folks, even the ones the left evidently feels are not savvy enough to get one.

If that works for you, great.

How is it any easier for someone to get a voter id vs a state issued id?

They already have the voter I.D.

EXACTLY why the left wants it. No picture. We get it.

EXACTLY why the left wants it. No picture. We get it.

That's the way it is. States could have made them photo I.D.'s long ago. They didn't. No one should now have to take additional steps to exercise their right to vote. That should not be considered "right" or "Left".

Forum List

Back