Republicans Are Outraged Donald Trump Isn't Above The Law

Stormy Daniels.

You wrote;
Don't recall it being called hush money when the Obamas, Clintons entered into an ND agreement.

So, you did not mention Stormy Daniels, and, I repeat, regarding the Obamas and the Clintons, no many changed hands.

You wrote;
Don't recall it being called hush money when the Obamas, Clintons entered into an ND agreement.

So, you did not mention Stormy Daniels, and, I repeat, regarding the Obamas and the Clintons, no many changed hands.

How do you know no money changed hands?

The people involved in the agreement usually don't talk about it. DUH

Pay close attention to the "crime" for which they wish to charge him: He paid someone to keep quiet about an embarrassing episode, but failed to report that as a political campaign contribution to his own Presidential campaign.

Name one other person in history who was pursued to this extent, successfully, for such a silly offense. I'll spot you John Edwards, who was acquitted.

Donald Trump is the only person in the United States, and New York is the only jurisdiction in the world, where someone would be pursued so aggressively for such a petty crime. AT WORST, it warrants a small fine. And they empanel a grand jury to pursue it?

It confirms the extremely low opinion that people around the country have of New York.
I heard Cohen said he didn’t get money from Trump to pay him back for SD. Oops

You wrote;

Paula Jones? You fkers are truly stupid. Thanks for your selective outrage

ONLY WANT THE LAW APPLIED EVENLY. Not all on Trump or J6, while ANTIFA, BLM, ghetto Blacks, ILLEGALS, Obidens' let off, never charged//

“I'm taken aback at the idea of indicting a former president of the United States at a—at a time when there's a crime wave in New York City,” Pence told Jonathan Karl on ABC’s This Week, “that fact that the Manhattan D.A. thinks that indicting President Trump is his top priority I think it—just tells you everything you need to know about the radical left in this country. It just feels like a politically charged prosecution here. And I—for my part, I just feel like it's just not what the American people want to see.”

Let’s take this one point at a time, because Pence is so perfectly encapsulating the Republican position on prosecuting Trump.

First: There is no crime wave in New York City. And former presidents should not be protected from prosecution just because of their elevated status.

Second: The Manhattan district attorney obviously does not think that indicting Trump is his top priority. He already set aside a plan by his predecessor to indict Trump for his financial dealings, and Bragg has now been in office for more than a year. Something one does more than a year after getting the ability to do it is, by definition, not a top priority.

Third: Alvin Bragg is in no way the “radical left,” although he is, to translate what Pence really meant, Black.

Fourth: This may feel politically charged because Republicans are politicizing it through their insistence that Trump should be immune from prosecution. But not charging Trump with crimes he committed would be a political move in itself. Power shouldn’t put people above the law.

And finally: It doesn’t—or shouldn’t—matter what the American people want to see when it comes to prosecuting crimes. As a side issue, it’s no surprise that the people Pence talks to don’t want Trump indicted, but plenty of people will be breaking out the party hats and streamers if and when it happens. But again, prosecution for crimes should not be a popularity contest and being famous and rich and powerful should not insulate you.

But that is the official Trump/Republican position: Charges against Trump can only ever be a politically motivated abuse of power, no matter how many crimes he commits. In reality, of course, while Trump’s prominence has drawn the attention of prosecutors, there’s been an obvious reluctance to charge him with anything because Trump is a political figure and he and his allies will harass the prosecutors and use the charges to whip up their base.

The talking points have spread far and wide in the Republican Party.

He could be arrested on 5th Ave., and not lose any support. :badgrin:

WRONG.
It's only his cult followers who are outraged.

/----/ Oh yes it does.
The majority ruling in the 1988 Supreme Court case Department of Navy vs. Egan -- which addressed the legal recourse of a Navy employee who had been denied a security clearance -- addresses this line of authority.

"The President, after all, is the 'Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States'" according to Article II of the Constitution, the court's majority wrote. "His authority to classify and control access to information bearing on national security ... flows primarily from this constitutional investment of power in the President, and exists quite apart from any explicit congressional grant."

Steven Aftergood, director of the Federation of American Scientists Project on Government Secrecy, said that such authority gives the president the authority to "classify and declassify at will."
The other day I said Trump's crimes are having babies remember? Because first Trump had classified documents but now he got caught lying about turning over all the top secret documents he had. He lied.

Here is another example. First there's the illegal hush money to Stormey from campaign funds.

Now Trump is going to get charged with with threatening the prosecutor

As many legal experts pointed out over the weekend, threatening a prosecutor is a crime in New York.

On Thursday, Trump posted a photo of himself wielding a baseball bat beside a photo of Bragg with his hands up. The post was later removed. Other menacing posts were not taken down, including one in which he suggested a potential indictment against him by Bragg would result in “death & destruction.”

Threatening a prosecutor? Wow!

And Trump cried about Kathy Griffin?

The other day I said Trump's crimes are having babies remember? Because first Trump had classified documents but now he got caught lying about turning over all the top secret documents he had. He lied.

Here is another example. First there's the illegal hush money to Stormey from campaign funds.

Now Trump is going to get charged with with threatening the prosecutor

As many legal experts pointed out over the weekend, threatening a prosecutor is a crime in New York.

On Thursday, Trump posted a photo of himself wielding a baseball bat beside a photo of Bragg with his hands up. The post was later removed. Other menacing posts were not taken down, including one in which he suggested a potential indictment against him by Bragg would result in “death & destruction.”

Threatening a prosecutor? Wow!

And Trump cried about Kathy Griffin?

I hear you and I am sympathetic to your view. But...

It's a misdemeanor, (if I understand the state law correctly) and it is doubtful the state will go after him on a misdemeanor, unless it can be tied to a felony. The DA will probably cut him some slack since he removed it.

How do you know no money changed hands?

The people involved in the agreement usually don't talk about it. DUH

I don't have to know about it. Unless it's reported, court recorded, etc., in law, it didn't happen and therefore the point is moot. DUH!

ONLY WANT THE LAW APPLIED EVENLY. Not all on Trump or J6, while ANTIFA, BLM, ghetto Blacks, ILLEGALS, Obidens' let off, never charged//

Fact of prosecutorial life: Not all crimes result in indictments. Reason? It is not 'uneven application of law' it is 'prosecutorial discretion' because the norm is for prosecutors to prosecute when the facts and the applicable law warrant it, and there is sufficient evidence for a prosecutor to believe he or she has a good chance of winning. Therefore, your point is rather meaningless.

It's a misdemeanor, (if I understand the state law correctly) and it is doubtful the state will go after him on a misdemeanor, unless it can be tied to a felony. The DA will probably cut him some slack since he removed it.
But Trump's followers already saw the message. And Trump hasn't toned down the message since he took that down. At his first campaign rally he kept it up.

Threatening a prosecutor is a misdeamenor?

...calling him an "animal" and calling for his supporters to "protest" his widely anticipated arrest. The former president early Friday morning warned of "potential death & destruction" if he is charged in the case, and pushed back on calls for his supporters to remain "peaceful."

“It sure looks like Donald Trump is calling for violence if he gets indicted,” watchdog group warns​

Trump on Truth Social lashed out at Bragg in an all-caps tweet, calling the prosecutor an "animal."

Racist

"EVERYBODY KNOWS I'M 100% INNOCENT, INCLUDING BRAGG, BUT HE DOESN'T CARE. HE IS JUST CARRYING OUT THE PLANS OF THE RADICAL LEFT LUNATICS. OUR COUNTRY IS BEING DESTROYED, AS THEY TELL US TO BE PEACEFUL!" he wrote.

Trump's comment appears to be a rebuke of allies who called for his supporters to remain peaceful in the wake of the deadly Jan. 6 Capitol riot, including from former attorney Rudy Giuliani, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga., and even conspiracy theorist Alex Jones.

"Trump is now explicitly rejecting the idea that his supporters should be 'peaceful' as he prepares to be indicted," Democratic strategist Sawyer Hackett tweeted, tagging the Justice Department's account. "Another incitement of violence."

Former conservative attorney George Conway, a frequent Trump critic, predicted that the post "could get his bail revoked" if he is charged in the Manhattan case.

"He lashes out because he feels he's being attacked. He feels he's being humiliated," Conway said on MSNBC. "But at the same time, he's going to put on a show to basically gin up his followers. That's what the danger is here — is that he will be doing this over a period of several months. A period over the next year and a half. I have to think he's going to get the Republican nomination, and he is going to try to foment violence, as he did on Jan. 6th. He's done a very good job of it this week. But if he keeps pounding on something for months, which he's going to be unless the judges put gag orders on him, you will see people starting to try to do things like they did two years ago, sadly."

Pay close attention to the "crime" for which they wish to charge him: He paid someone to keep quiet about an embarrassing episode, but failed to report that as a political campaign contribution to his own Presidential campaign.

Name one other person in history who was pursued to this extent, successfully, for such a silly offense. I'll spot you John Edwards, who was acquitted.

Donald Trump is the only person in the United States, and New York is the only jurisdiction in the world, where someone would be pursued so aggressively for such a petty crime. AT WORST, it warrants a small fine. And they empanel a grand jury to pursue it?

It confirms the extremely low opinion that people around the country have of New York.

That's just one of many investigations he is under. Why ignore this crime? More to follow.

'I'm being arrested Tuesday,' even though he knew he wasn't," she added. "He was trying to get people to protest and put pressure on the DA's office not to indict him. And I think he was also baiting the DA's office, frankly, to tell him when it was going to happen by saying it's going to be Tuesday. So, that's what I think is happening this weekend, and I think for security reasons, they are waiting until a closer time to when he would surrender."

How about threatening a prosecutor?

Forum List

Back