Republicans Are Outraged Donald Trump Isn't Above The Law

People like slang, didn't you get the memo? Doesn't 'hush money' roll off the tongue better than 'non disclosure agreement'?

Sheesh, I'd a thought that was a no brainer.

Depends on who's at the other end. Don't recall it being called hush money when the Obamas, Clintons entered into an ND agreement.

Depends on who's at the other end. Don't recall it being called hush money when the Obamas, Clintons entered into an ND agreement.

NDAs aren't hush money because no money is changing hands.

Why don't you google it? You'll do better than query folks on this forum.
Here is a brand new law Trump broke. What is this 11?

Trump lied to his lawyers that he turned over all his classified documents. That's certainly troubling right?

Here is a brand new law Trump broke. What is this 11?

Trump lied to his lawyers that he turned over all his classified documents. That's certainly troubling right?

Very.

That is a point I didn't make, she received money. I'm talking about NDAs insofar as they aren't 'hush money', which was a response to your comment:

You said no money changes hands involving NDAs.

She signed one and it involved money.

Donald Trump's crimes are now having babies. The original crime was taking classified documents home for god know$ why. NOW he lied to his lawyers when he told them he gave them all the classified documents he had. Turned out he $tashed a few but they were later found.

If these are witch hunts Trump is going to have to prove that in a court of law.

“I'm taken aback at the idea of indicting a former president of the United States at a—at a time when there's a crime wave in New York City,” Pence told Jonathan Karl on ABC’s This Week, “that fact that the Manhattan D.A. thinks that indicting President Trump is his top priority I think it—just tells you everything you need to know about the radical left in this country. It just feels like a politically charged prosecution here. And I—for my part, I just feel like it's just not what the American people want to see.”

Let’s take this one point at a time, because Pence is so perfectly encapsulating the Republican position on prosecuting Trump.

First: There is no crime wave in New York City. And former presidents should not be protected from prosecution just because of their elevated status.

Second: The Manhattan district attorney obviously does not think that indicting Trump is his top priority. He already set aside a plan by his predecessor to indict Trump for his financial dealings, and Bragg has now been in office for more than a year. Something one does more than a year after getting the ability to do it is, by definition, not a top priority.

Third: Alvin Bragg is in no way the “radical left,” although he is, to translate what Pence really meant, Black.

Fourth: This may feel politically charged because Republicans are politicizing it through their insistence that Trump should be immune from prosecution. But not charging Trump with crimes he committed would be a political move in itself. Power shouldn’t put people above the law.

And finally: It doesn’t—or shouldn’t—matter what the American people want to see when it comes to prosecuting crimes. As a side issue, it’s no surprise that the people Pence talks to don’t want Trump indicted, but plenty of people will be breaking out the party hats and streamers if and when it happens. But again, prosecution for crimes should not be a popularity contest and being famous and rich and powerful should not insulate you.

But that is the official Trump/Republican position: Charges against Trump can only ever be a politically motivated abuse of power, no matter how many crimes he commits. In reality, of course, while Trump’s prominence has drawn the attention of prosecutors, there’s been an obvious reluctance to charge him with anything because Trump is a political figure and he and his allies will harass the prosecutors and use the charges to whip up their base.

The talking points have spread far and wide in the Republican Party.

He could be arrested on 5th Ave., and not lose any support. :badgrin:
/----/ "First: There is no crime wave in New York City. And former presidents should not be protected from prosecution just because of their elevated status."
I live in New York, on Long Island. I will no longer travel into the City because of the rampant crime wave.
Here are reports from a source you can't complain about:

The New York Police Department’s 46th Precinct, covering the South Bronx, was once known as the most dangerous square mile in America. Though not near the rate of the early 1990s, crime in New York City is spiking once again. Shooting incidents this May were up 73% compared to the same period last year, according to the NYPD.

NYPD Announces Citywide Crime Statistics for December 2022

Jan 5, 2023 These seizures fueled a 2.8% increase in citywide gun arrests for 2022 compared to 2021 (4,627 v. 4,499) - a 27-year high. Additionally, major index crime arrests were up by 16.6% (3,803 v. 3,262) in December 2022 compared to December 2021, and ended 2022 at a 21-year high - increasing by 24.5% (47,572 v. 38,215) over calendar year 2021.

Don't get excited. As far as I can tell Trump is above the law. Had I taken a bunch of classified documents to a motel room I would probably still be in the brig.
/----/ Did you have the Constitutional power to declassify documents? PRESIDENT Trump did.

/----/ Did you have the Constitutional power to declassify documents? PRESIDENT Trump did.
The Constitution does not bestow the POTUS with mind control declassification powers. This is one of the many, many things that makes Trumpsters look ridiculous. Trump did not legally declassify the documents.

Trump isn't getting prosecuted because the filthy ass Democrat Prosecutor can't convince a Grand Jury that there is enough evidence to indict.

That is different than when Crooked Hillary was let off the hook for her crimes for the ridicule reason of "no intent" by The Worthless Negro's administration because she was the Democrat Party's Presidential nominee.

The Constitution does not bestow the POTUS with mind control declassification powers. This is one of the many, many things that makes Trumpsters look ridiculous. Trump did not legally declassify the documents.
/----/ Oh yes it does.
The majority ruling in the 1988 Supreme Court case Department of Navy vs. Egan -- which addressed the legal recourse of a Navy employee who had been denied a security clearance -- addresses this line of authority.

"The President, after all, is the 'Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States'" according to Article II of the Constitution, the court's majority wrote. "His authority to classify and control access to information bearing on national security ... flows primarily from this constitutional investment of power in the President, and exists quite apart from any explicit congressional grant."

Steven Aftergood, director of the Federation of American Scientists Project on Government Secrecy, said that such authority gives the president the authority to "classify and declassify at will."

/----/ Oh yes it does.
The majority ruling in the 1988 Supreme Court case Department of Navy vs. Egan -- which addressed the legal recourse of a Navy employee who had been denied a security clearance -- addresses this line of authority.

"The President, after all, is the 'Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States'" according to Article II of the Constitution, the court's majority wrote. "His authority to classify and control access to information bearing on national security ... flows primarily from this constitutional investment of power in the President, and exists quite apart from any explicit congressional grant."

Steven Aftergood, director of the Federation of American Scientists Project on Government Secrecy, said that such authority gives the president the authority to "classify and declassify at will."

Again, this is why you guys look so silly. I did not argue with his ability to declassify, I am talking about his ability to do it in his mind. There is a legal process to declassify documents. Trump thought he was above that law, didn't bother declassifying them and took them to his resort. Then lied about having them. But yea, you go with the mind control thing.

Again, this is why you guys look so silly. I did not argue with his ability to declassify, I am talking about his ability to do it in his mind. There is a legal process to declassify documents. Trump thought he was above that law, didn't bother declassifying them and took them to his resort. Then lied about having them. But yea, you go with the mind control thing.
/——/ Well, you should email Justice Roberts and educate him.

Forum List

Back