Republican Senator wants a 7 day work week

What do you care?

You don't work

Hm. Couple reasons. 1. I care about the workers 2. I am looking for work and sure in the hell wouldn't want to be worked like a slave on a plantation with no time off 3. my wife works right now and she does at times get 7 days in a row to work then gets a whopping 1 day off which she uses to charge her batteries just to work another 3 or 4 in a row for shit wage while the **** making the schedule makes sure she gets weekends off and the management gets nice christmas bonus's yet my wife and the other workers that were in her class got screwed out of payment they were due. I don't need a reason to care but I do care.

I hear that slushing sound.

I don't like the smell of it...

Republican politicians have been in bed with Big Business for so long now, it's becoming difficult to trust them...

Almost as difficult as it is to trust Democratic politicians...

Almost...

Sounds like there are holes in the existing 7-day law (can stretch-out as far as 12 days with the right kind of timing)...

The holes could be fixed easily enough, to close the 12-day window...

As to 'freedom of choice', in relation to such laws...

The GOP hack proposing this actually has a point, but...

Given that there is most likely a Big Business hand behind this, it makes sense to look at possible motives on the Employer side...

Will this make it possible for Employers to FORCE Employees to work without a break?

Freedom TO work is one thing...

Tyranny in scheduling is quite another...

Perhaps a Middle Ground can be found, in which Employees are free to choose to work that 7th day, but in which Employers cannot COMPEL work on that 7th day, and must pay a higher wage on such 7th days, and can be HEAVILY PENALIZED if they're caught 'compelling' or 'twisting arms' or 'coercing' in such a context...

I have no idea how one would monitor the need for such penalties and enforce such penalties, so, maybe that's a non-starter after all, but, from a Labor perspective... it would seem that such rock-solid protections and guarantees would need to be in-place, before Labor could support such a change in the laws.

Just thinkin' out loud on that one...

Then think about this.

Unless you are specifically classified as an “exempt” worker, your employer must pay you overtime wages for any hours you work over 40 hours in a workweek. The employer must pay overtime wages at a rate of at least one and one-half times (150%) your regular hourly rate.
http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/workhours/overtime.htm

The link will take you to the US Department of Labor and this has been a law for many years.

Yanno..................the military is required to work (meaning that you can be called up) all 24 hours of the day, and you only get 30 off per year.

There are 52 weeks in the year, and the military only gets to take 30 days of leave per year.

Do the math, and you'd realize that it's only around 1 day every two weeks.

I challenge any civilian to work as much as I did for over 20 years. I'm guessing you wouldn't because not only do you have to work a whole bunch of hours, but you'd also realize that you don't have as many rights as people who never joined the military have.

The GOP says they support the troops, but how many would be willing to work under the conditions they do?

Additionally.........................the politicians (who are of the right wing variety) say that they support the troops, but they work less than any military person ever did.

Why should the politicians work only a third of a year when the military works at least 11 (depending on the leave count)?

I mean........................politicians in Washington are federal workers (like the military), and they volunteered for their position (by being elected, only the military decided to sign up), but yet people like Boehner, McConnell, and all the rest are allowed to only work one day out of three.

I think we should demand more work out of those that say they serve the public.

The military serves this nation 7 days a week, why can't our politicians?

"...Then think about this.

Unless you are specifically classified as an “exempt” worker, your employer must pay you overtime wages for any hours you work over 40 hours in a workweek. The employer must pay overtime wages at a rate of at least one and one-half times (150%) your regular hourly rate.

The link will take you to the US Department of Labor and this has been a law for many years."
And if the issue is not one of money, but time to rest, and time to spend with one's family?

Getting time-and-a-half will be small consolation for missing a child's Big Game or anything similar.

Or keeling-over dead, because your employer worked you to death.

Last edited:
I think senators should work 7 days a week until they get the problems that they created fixed. I could support that.

I would rather they work only 1 day a week. They couldn't create more problems that way.

The link will take you to the US Department of Labor and this has been a law for many years."
And if the issue is not one of money, but time to rest, and time to spend with one's family?

Getting time-and-a-half will be small consolation for missing a child's Big Game or anything similar.

Really? What should those serving in the military be paid for missing their child's big game, their first step, their first word, or their birth?

The military doesn't get time and a half, they're paid by salary (which isn't much, even an E-6 only makes around 37,000/year), but we don't bitch about missing events like that.

Quick question.............................how much would you feel you were owed if you missed an event like that, and, more importantly, would you feel that people in the military should be paid what you thought you were owed if they missed that same event?

"...That was then this is now..."
The goal is to prevent 'Now' from turning back into 'Then' again.

"...Telling people they can't work when or as much as they want is a violation of their rights..."
True.

Then again, coercing people to work 7 days a week when they need rest or want to spend time with their families is a violation of their rights, as well.

At least until the Wisconsin legislature repeal their right to have off 1 day in 7.

"...That was then this is now..."
The goal is to prevent 'Now' from turning back into 'Then' again.

"...Telling people they can't work when or as much as they want is a violation of their rights..."
True.

Then again, coercing people to work 7 days a week when they need rest or want to spend time with their families is a violation of their rights, as well.

At least until the Wisconsin legislature repeal their right to have off 1 day in 7.

Maybe the politicians should work more than 1 day in 3.

Apparently it works for Washington, but it doesn't work for the military.

The military has to work at least 11 days out of 12. Look up the leave policy.

Or keeling-over dead, because your employer worked you to death.

There is NO law that says you are required to work 7 days a week. Only if you choose to do so you will be fairly compensated. Only a drama queen would think someone would die from working 7 days a week.

Most employers would understand an employee needing time off for important family events. If your boss doesn't, change jobs!

We abolished slavery years ago.

What do you care?

You don't work

LMAO Perfect

What do you care?

You don't work

Hm. Couple reasons. 1. I care about the workers 2. I am looking for work and sure in the hell wouldn't want to be worked like a slave on a plantation with no time off 3. my wife works right now and she does at times get 7 days in a row to work then gets a whopping 1 day off which she uses to charge her batteries just to work another 3 or 4 in a row for shit wage while the **** making the schedule makes sure she gets weekends off and the management gets nice christmas bonus's yet my wife and the other workers that were in her class got screwed out of payment they were due. I don't need a reason to care but I do care.

I hear that slushing sound.

so much posting and so little substance...yawn.

Really? What should those serving in the military be paid for missing their child's big game, their first step, their first word, or their birth?

The military doesn't get time and a half, they're paid by salary (which isn't much, even an E-6 only makes around 37,000/year), but we don't bitch about missing events like that.

Quick question.............................how much would you feel you were owed if you missed an event like that, and, more importantly, would you feel that people in the military should be paid what you thought you were owed if they missed that same event?
Let's leave the military out of this. They represent < 1/2 of 1% of the US population and are voluntarily engaged in national defense operations that are exempt from such considerations.

We are talking about the other 99.5% of the population; our civilians; engaged in peacetime pursuits; living their lives for themselves and their families; not their employers; and not subject to the same rigors which our military folk subject themselves to voluntarily.

This is not to denigrate the personal nor family lives of our brave military folk - I wore a green suit for Sammy myself and am pretty damned sympathetic - but they, themselves, will be the first to tell you that their 24 x 7 x 365 commitment is part and parcel of defending the nation; a commitment that they embrace voluntarily.

Giving an employer an ability to dictate a work schedule without rest only empowers that employer to revert back to the abusive behaviors that triggered the 1-day-of-rest law in the first place.

Civilians are not held to the same rigorous 24 x 7 x 365 standards of commitment and effort that someone in our military voluntarily submits to.

And there's no good reason on the face of God's green earth why they should be.

As to your question about what missing such an event is worth, well, I don't know...

If my bastard of an abusive-scheduling employer forces me to miss an event...

How much is missing my son's first Little League game worth to me?

How much is missing my daughter's first Dance Class performance worth to me?

How much is missing my grandchild's First Communion worth to me?

How much is missing my good friend's wedding worth to me?

How much is a day of rest worth, when you're run-down and been working too hard?

Some of that stuff is priceless - at least to folks for whom such things have meaning.

Money is damned important, but it's not everything.

Oftentimes, folks would rather have a day off than have the money.

And they're probably usually happier and healthier when working, the other 6 days.

Money is damned important, but it's not everything, to everybody.

But this is up to the folks of the great and sovereign State of Wisconsin.

If more people in the State of Wisconsin want to keep the law than there are people who want to overturn it, then I say leave the damned law alone.

At a minimum, I hope the Cheeseheads up there look very closely at who's doing the proposing, and what might lie behind that proposal, and what the long-term ramifications might be, before they buy into that particular line of fertilizer.

Last edited:

A lot of sevicemen and women that are now serving and have served in Iraq or Afghanistan or Vietnam or Korea, etc. missed a lot of their kids birthdays and 'big' games.

Being on call 24/7 is true, but on most peace time duty stations the weekends are time off for most of the military. I am not arguing with you, merely pointing out that you volunteered and decided it was OK for 20 years.

As an aside, did you ever take "basket leave" in the Navy?

I remember when we had to work 72 hours straight for an ORI (Operational Readiness Inspection). The object was to put all of the operational aircraft in the wing in the air on a simulated mission. We failed to do so and worked long hours 7 days a week for the next three months. We did NOT fail the next ORI!

I did 4 years active duty 2 years National Guard and 2 years ready reserve so I do know where you are coming from.

A lot of sevicemen and women that are now serving and have served in Iraq or Afghanistan or Vietnam or Korea, etc. missed a lot of their kids birthdays and 'big' games.

Being on call 24/7 is true, but on most peace time duty stations the weekends are time off for most of the military. I am not arguing with you, merely pointing out that you volunteered and decided it was OK for 20 years.

As an aside, did you ever take "basket leave" in the Navy?

I remember when we had to work 72 hours straight for an ORI (Operational Readiness Inspection). The object was to put all of the operational aircraft in the wing in the air on a simulated mission. We failed to do so and worked long hours 7 days a week for the next three months. We did NOT fail the next ORI!

I did 4 years active duty 2 years National Guard and 2 years ready reserve so I do know where you are coming from.
I signed up for 3 and got out in 2 - honorably.

But I respectfully suggest that the conversation be moved away from the < 1/2 of 1% of the population and back to the 99.5% of the population that such labor-laws are focused upon.

As I understand this is a law that is unique to WI.

As I understand this does not do away with the 40 hour work week.

So if a person was to work 7 days they would be compensated with time and one half for doing so.

It would also mean that Wi is joining the rest of the states.

But I will say forcing people to be off one day is not the end of the world and is how it is where I work, which is not in WI. If a person can't live off of 6 days a week it is a crappy job or they are just being greedy.

Grothman has argued in the past that government employees should have to work on MLK Day. He has taken a significant amount of heat from progressives for sponsoring other bills as well, including one repealing the state's Equal Pay Enforcement Act and another that would have considered single parenthood "a contributing factor to child abuse and neglect."
That capitalist pig wants to push the labor movement back 75 years. See what you get from the koch group political machine.
I'll
bet the Computer you are using was built by 'Capitalist Pigs'...stop using it.

My question is the worker protected against HAVING to report for work and if so how is this monitored. In other words, lets say you worked 6 in a row and your employer asks you to work 7 because they are in a pinch. But you already had plans with your family. So you decline. The boss gets upset. Now of course any boss that would get upset in this case would be a horrible boss to work for and yes there is a big percentage of bad bosses out there. But is the worker afforded some kind of protection?

My question is the worker protected against HAVING to report for work and if so how is this monitored. In other words, lets say you worked 6 in a row and your employer asks you to work 7 because they are in a pinch. But you already had plans with your family. So you decline. The boss gets upset. Now of course any boss that would get upset in this case would be a horrible boss to work for and yes there is a big percentage of bad bosses out there. But is the worker afforded some kind of protection?

The answer is no in most states. I am not sure how they are changing the law but if they made the 7 day employee optional then I think that fair. But there are lots of occupations that run 24/7 and can't just shut down because someone wants off. Then again more people could be employed to cover the gaps. So I guess this is just a case of whom is given freedom. Change the law and let the employee/employer do what is best for both parties interest.

Grothman has argued in the past that government employees should have to work on MLK Day. He has taken a significant amount of heat from progressives for sponsoring other bills as well, including one repealing the state's Equal Pay Enforcement Act and another that would have considered single parenthood "a contributing factor to child abuse and neglect."
That capitalist pig wants to push the labor movement back 75 years. See what you get from the koch group political machine.
I'll
bet the Computer you are using was built by 'Capitalist Pigs'...stop using it.

Actually it was probably built by some slave labor in a foreign country.That's how capitalists roll. Can't be paying American workers a livable wage,they outsource it to foreign countries with very little to no workers rights.

Forum List

Back