Rep. Justin Amash Leaves Republican Party

He will not be reelected anyway, most certainly not in conservative West Michigan.

Bye.

Rep. Justin Amash (R-Mich.) on Thursday announced he's leaving the Republican Party and becoming an independent, months after igniting a political firestorm after becoming the first sitting GOP congressman to call for an impeachment inquiry against President Trump.

"Today, I am declaring my independence and leaving the Republican Party," Amash wrote in a Fourth of July op-ed for the Washington Post. "No matter your circumstance, I’m asking you to join me in rejecting the partisan loyalties and rhetoric that divide and dehumanize us. I’m asking you to believe that we can do better than this two-party system — and to work toward it. If we continue to take America for granted, we will lose it."

Amash quits Republican Party

There is no place in the GOP party for a person with real conservative values...

All hail Trump...

We welcome conservative values. What we don't welcome are back-stabbers. It boils down to Reagan's eleventh commandment.

No idea what that means, but the first two sentences are not even related to each other.

Once AGAIN for the dullwitted ---- the function of a Congresscritter is to represent their district. It is ***NOT*** to represent some political party. And in this case the Rep Amash simply does not represent your district. Therefore you have no basis for "back stabber".

Oh yes, if you are a member of a party, it's expected you support their views and policies. If you don't, you have no business being a part of that party.

And apparently Amash didn't support the views of his constituents either. He's leaving because he knows he'll be thrown out if he doesn't.

Once AGAIN ---- I guess I'll just post this over and over until it finally sinks the fuck in ---- the function of a Congressional Representative is to represent the interests of the people in his district. It is IN NO WAY to represent the interests of some political party. PERIOD.

Go ahead, show me in the Constitution where I'm wrong.

Political parties don't have "views and policies" anyway. The purpose of a political party is to consolidate power collectively, that's IT. To that end it will adopt, or reject, any "view or interest" convenient to the moment. Its sole "interest" is power.

Yes it is about power; power to promote a political agenda.

When Republican voters vote for a Republican representative, they are expecting them to adhere to that agenda. If a Republican starts to support abortion, legalizing all drugs, taking actions against our police officers, they are not fulfilling the agenda of the right. Therefore, they need to go.

If you are a politician that does not support a party, then you run as an Independent, that's all. But if you are going to run as a Democrat or as a Republican, take their money that constituents have donated, then yes, you are expected to tow the party line.

There is no place in the GOP party for a person with real conservative values...

All hail Trump...

We welcome conservative values. What we don't welcome are back-stabbers. It boils down to Reagan's eleventh commandment.

No idea what that means, but the first two sentences are not even related to each other.

Once AGAIN for the dullwitted ---- the function of a Congresscritter is to represent their district. It is ***NOT*** to represent some political party. And in this case the Rep Amash simply does not represent your district. Therefore you have no basis for "back stabber".

Oh yes, if you are a member of a party, it's expected you support their views and policies. If you don't, you have no business being a part of that party.

And apparently Amash didn't support the views of his constituents either. He's leaving because he knows he'll be thrown out if he doesn't.

Once AGAIN ---- I guess I'll just post this over and over until it finally sinks the fuck in ---- the function of a Congressional Representative is to represent the interests of the people in his district. It is IN NO WAY to represent the interests of some political party. PERIOD.

Political parties don't have "views and policies" anyway. The purpose of a political party is to consolidate power collectively, that's IT. To that end it will adopt, or reject, any "view or interest" convenient to the moment. Its sole "interest" is power.

When Republican voters vote for a Republican representative, they are expecting them to adhere to that agenda. If a Republican starts to support abortion, legalizing all drugs, taking actions against our police officers, they are not fulfilling the agenda of the right. Therefore, they need to go.

If you are a politician that does not support a party, then you run as an Independent, that's all. But if you are going to run as a Democrat or as a Republican, take their money that constituents have donated, then yes, you are expected to tow the party line.

It's "toe" actually and no you're not. You're expected to represent that District. Go look it up in the Constitution. It's literally spelled out that that is their job.

We don't elect political parties. We elect a Representative. Or a Senator, Governor, etc. The Borg world y'all seem to want simply does not function as anything but a mindless Borg. Which kind of begs the question why you want a world of robots.

The bottom line in this case is that Amash represents a district that is not yours, therefore you have no interest in what he does.

I uh, believe he's still in office, so yeah, he will.
Not for long.
The point remains, you have no standing to claim "traitor" on a Rep that isn't your Rep.
You have no relationship with him. Simple as that.
This is America. I have standing to say anything I damn well please, commie. Simple as that.

Again for those who can't read ---- you have no standing to claim "traitor". Apparently even that is beyond your literary pay grade huh.

It's "toe" actually and no you're not. You're expected to represent that District. Go look it up in the Constitution. It's literally spelled out that that is their job.

We don't elect political parties. We elect a Representative. Or a Senator, Governor, etc. The Borg world y'all seem to want simply does not function as anything but a mindless Borg. Which kind of begs the question why you want a world of robots.

The bottom line in this case is that Amash represents a district that is not yours, therefore you have no interest in what he does.

In my country, every American is allowed to have an opinion or discuss whatever issues are current at the time. Sorry you don't get to make the rules.

Yes, we do elect parties. The Representative is part of that party, not independent of that party. When I vote for a Republican, I'm expecting that representative to conduct themselves as a Republican. If they are going to work against other Republicans, especially the President, then they need to go.

Lol
Amash knew he would lose the upcoming primary, him being a closet progressive... cut bait

In my country, every American is allowed to have an opinion or discuss whatever issues are current at the time. Sorry you don't get to make the rules.

Yes, we do elect parties. The Representative is part of that party, not independent of that party. When I vote for a Republican, I'm expecting that representative to conduct themselves as a Republican. If they are going to work against other Republicans, especially the President, then they need to go.

In that case your interest is purely partisan. For the rest of us we elect a Rep to represent *US* and OUR interests, not the interests of some political party. The interests of some political party are of no use to me.

I've got my own Rep here of course, as everyone does. He's more of a Misrepresentative than a Rep, but yanno what, that's MY problem, not yours. I've worked locally with previous campaigning here when that seat had other occupants, in my own interest. But what I've never done is brought it to this board --- because what's happening in my district is of no importance to you in Cleveland or to a poster in Georgia or Michigan or Washington. If this were a WNC-centered board it would be relevant, but it isn't.

And in NONE of those candidate's cases did I work for or against anybody's election because of their political party. I did so because they either were or were not qualified to represent me.

It's not a complex kind of thing really. We're voting for our own government, not somebody else's freaking political party.

I uh, believe he's still in office, so yeah, he will.
Not for long.
The point remains, you have no standing to claim "traitor" on a Rep that isn't your Rep.
You have no relationship with him. Simple as that.
This is America. I have standing to say anything I damn well please, commie. Simple as that.

Again for those who can't read ---- you have no standing to claim "traitor". Apparently even that is beyond your literary pay grade huh.
Keep trolling, pissant.

In that case your interest is purely partisan. For the rest of us we elect a Rep to represent *US* and OUR interests, not the interests of some political party. The interests of some political party are of no use to me.

I've got my own Rep here of course, as everyone does. He's more of a Misrepresentative than a Rep, but yanno what, that's MY problem, not yours. I've worked locally with previous campaigning here when that seat had other occupants, in my own interest. But what I've never done is brought it to this board --- because what's happening in my district is of no importance to you in Cleveland or to a poster in Georgia or Michigan or Washington. If this were a WNC-centered board it would be relevant, but it isn't.

And in NONE of those candidate's cases did I work for or against anybody's election because of their political party. I did so because they either were or were not qualified to represent me.

It's not a complex kind of thing really. We're voting for our own government, not somebody else's freaking political party.

Then we will have to agree to disagree. I believe we elect representatives of our party to represent us, not a bunch of independents who conduct themselves however they feel like at the time. Apparently most think like me, because that's how we ended up with Donald Trump. The constituency wanted border problems solved, and Trump was the only one out of all the other candidates that promised us that. All the other ones talked Comprehensive Immigration Reform. Like WTF, did you hear us screaming about immigration reform? No! You heard us wanting to close off the border and stop illegals.

As long as Congress critters get paid with all of our tax money, and not just tax money from their districts, then they are all open game, especially when they make the national headlines. Discussion boards would be pretty boring if we only talked about our local people.

He will not be reelected anyway, most certainly not in conservative West Michigan.

Bye.

Rep. Justin Amash (R-Mich.) on Thursday announced he's leaving the Republican Party and becoming an independent, months after igniting a political firestorm after becoming the first sitting GOP congressman to call for an impeachment inquiry against President Trump.

"Today, I am declaring my independence and leaving the Republican Party," Amash wrote in a Fourth of July op-ed for the Washington Post. "No matter your circumstance, I’m asking you to join me in rejecting the partisan loyalties and rhetoric that divide and dehumanize us. I’m asking you to believe that we can do better than this two-party system — and to work toward it. If we continue to take America for granted, we will lose it."

Rep. Amash don't let door hit you on the way out.

"No matter your circumstance, I'm asking you to join me in rejecting the partisan loyalties and rhetoric that divide and dehumanize us….The two-party system has evolved into an existential threat to American principles and institutions." said Justin Amash.

HE’S RIGHT.

Progressive views and political correctness benefits conservatives in no way whatsoever...
In fact progressivism is it living hell for conservatives... fact

Then we will have to agree to disagree. I believe we elect representatives of our party to represent us, not a bunch of independents who conduct themselves however they feel like at the time. Apparently most think like me, because that's how we ended up with Donald Trump. The constituency wanted border problems solved, and Trump was the only one out of all the other candidates that promised us that. All the other ones talked Comprehensive Immigration Reform. Like WTF, did you hear us screaming about immigration reform? No! You heard us wanting to close off the border and stop illegals.

As long as Congress critters get paid with all of our tax money, and not just tax money from their districts, then they are all open game, especially when they make the national headlines. Discussion boards would be pretty boring if we only talked about our local people.

The fatal flaw of your post, right there in its first sentence, is the ludicrous ass-sumption that "we" (everybody) has a party at all, let alone that it has to be one of these two party. The fact is most voters DO NOT have one.

That again is the Dichotomy Disease wish for a Borg mentality. I'm guessing it stems from the insecurity of thinking "if I was weak enough to have to join a political party to have relevance, then I have to believe everyone does". When you need a mobile echo chamber to assure you your positions have merit, you're in a very weak place.

This guy is a right wing Tea Party Republican. I agree with virtually nothing he stands for but at least he is honest enough to say out loud what most Republican legislators are afraid to.

Trump is a disaster. The Emperor's new clothes are invisible.

Yeah, real honest. His family business is going to suffer because of the tariffs, so he said we should impeach Trump. Yeah, real honest guy.
His family business and millions of other Republicans

This guy is a right wing Tea Party Republican. I agree with virtually nothing he stands for but at least he is honest enough to say out loud what most Republican legislators are afraid to.

Trump is a disaster. The Emperor's new clothes are invisible.

Yeah, real honest. His family business is going to suffer because of the tariffs, so he said we should impeach Trump. Yeah, real honest guy.
His family business and millions of other Republicans

So what. The point is that his decision is not integrity driven, but capitalist driven. It's personal, not professional.

The fatal flaw of your post, right there in its first sentence, is the ludicrous ass-sumption that "we" (everybody) has a party at all, let alone that it has to be one of these two party. The fact is most voters DO NOT have one.

That again is the Dichotomy Disease wish for a Borg mentality. I'm guessing it stems from the insecurity of thinking "if I was weak enough to have to join a political party to have relevance, then I have to believe everyone does". When you need a mobile echo chamber to assure you your positions have merit, you're in a very weak place.

I didn't make the rules, I only play by them.

No, you don't have to join a political party. Vote Independent and waste your vote for all I care. No law stopping you. But if you really want your vote to count, it is party driven. You may not like all the issues or stances of the candidate, but if he or she is the closest you can come to your positions, then that's who you support.

I vote Republican because I'm more of a small government constitutionalist. I don't believe that It Takes a Village. I believe that people should be allowed to keep the rewards they created for themselves, and that our social programs are making lazy SOB"s out of many Americans. I believe in freedom, I believe in personal responsibility, and that it's not societies problem to remedy your mistakes in life. I believe that if you have the capability to work, you should be working.

The Democrat party is the exact opposite of what I believe. Therefore I am a Republican. Does that mean I agree with every single one of their issues? Of course not, but I agree with most of them. Life isn't perfect.

"Great news for the Republican Party as one of the dumbest & most disloyal men in Congress is “quitting” the Party. No Collusion, No Obstruction! Knew he couldn’t get the nomination to run again in the Great State of Michigan. Already being challenged for his seat. A total loser!" - President Trump

He is just being honest , something you gop-hers have lost. Honesty as well as all other virtues of what makes someone dignified you have flushed down the toilet with your shit.
Supporting Antifa when they are open about wanting to kill people they disagree with invalidates any claim to “virtues” that you thought you had.

Bye.

He claims to be non-partisan and yet peddles the partisan lie that Trump has committed impeachable offenses.

"Great news for the Republican Party as one of the dumbest & most disloyal men in Congress is “quitting” the Party. No Collusion, No Obstruction! Knew he couldn’t get the nomination to run again in the Great State of Michigan. Already being challenged for his seat. A total loser!" - President Trump
Dumbest?

You realize that Louie Gomer is still there and so is Matt Gaetz

Forum List

Back