Religious Belief Is Not a Delusion

Just because there is a natural inclination to religiosity doesn’t meant that evolving hominids were right. From the Latin religare ‘to retie.’

Just because there is a natural inclination to religiosity doesn’t meant that evolving hominids were right. From the Latin religare ‘to retie.’

Doesn't mean they were wrong either. Religion does offer some positives for modern life, and not everyone has the mentality to go it alone without faith in a higher power. Live and let live, and don't piss in someone's business.

Not according to mental health workers
Interesting article. It seems to boil down to the idea that, since nothing can really happen to challenge religious belief (the article fails to narrow this down to pure theism, as it should have), the belief is not a delusion. Well that is a convenient thing, when nothing could possibly exist that would be a challenge to believing in gods.

However, by the same logic presented in the article, belief in most religious dogma and myth IS delusion. For example, believing the Great Flood myth. People start to encounter information that challenges this delusion in elementary school science courses.

Do you believe Muhammed rode a winged horse uo into the sky to heaven? Well, that's a delusion
Horses can't fly. Horses don't have wings. Humans cannot breathe and will freeze to death above certain altitudes.

But just good, old fashioned theism? Well, this magical idea can never have evidence for or against.

Doesn't mean they were wrong either. Religion does offer some positives for modern life, and not everyone has the mentality to go it alone without faith in a higher power. Live and let live, and don't piss in someone's business.
I totally agree. Same would go for transgendered people, correct?

believer: i believe in god

fundamentalist atheist:

rage woman small.gif

Not according to mental health workers
Interesting article. It seems to boil down to the idea that, since nothing can really happen to challenge religious belief (the article fails to narrow this down to pure theism, as it should have), the belief is not a delusion. Well that is a convenient thing, when nothing could possibly exist that would be a challenge to believing in gods.

However, by the same logic presented in the article, belief in most religious dogma and myth IS delusion. For example, believing the Great Flood myth. People start to encounter information that challenges this delusion in elementary school science courses.

Do you believe Muhammed rode a winged horse uo into the sky to heaven? Well, that's a delusion
Horses can't fly. Horses don't have wings. Humans cannot breathe and will freeze to death above certain altitudes.

But just good, old fashioned theism? Well, this magical idea can never have evidence for or against.

The night flight is a dream.

Why tell me? Go tell the muslim clerics who claim it was a factual event. The holy books only claim it happened at night. So it appears you need to reeducate most of the muslim world!

Be verrrry careful...bad things happen to people when they try that.

Why tell me? Go tell the muslim clerics who claim it was a factual event. The holy books only claim it happened at night. So it appears you need to reeducate most of the muslim world!

Most Muslims take it as a dream. In fact, most Saudis have no problem with earth science or plate tectonics.. Must be their engineering schools. Creation versus science just doesn't seem to be an issue the way it is in the US.

The perennial problem is always the sacerdotal approach to mental repression. Yes, transgenders cross the line when they make the mutilation of their original equipment a religion (the Eucharist and the Freudian devouring drive).

Most Muslims take it as a dream. In fact, most Saudis have no problem with earth science or plate tectonics.. Must be their engineering schools. Creation versus science just doesn't seem to be an issue the way it is in the US.
Laat we checked, Saudi Arabia leads the world in evolution denial:

Are you just making stuff up as you go?

Laat we checked, Saudi Arabia leads the world in evolution denial:

Are you just making stuff up as you go?

Nope.. I have visited all their science museums.. They have spectacular interactive programs on the formation of the earth and the geological changes in the formation of the Arabian Penninsula. At each station they have a small brass plaque that refers to the appropriate verse from the Koran about creation. Its very impressive.

Maybe your expert has never been to Saudi Arabia which is often the case.

Oh my.. Here's your source.

Nope.. I have visited all their science museums..
Yet they top the world in denying evolution. You can toss a million red herrings out, and this fact will remain for you to deal with. And, by deal with, i mean admit what you said about it was false.

Also, you made up that little bit about most muslims thinking that was just a dream.

Nope.. I have visited all their science museums..
Yet they top the world in denying evolution. You can toss a million red herrings out, and this fact will remain for you to deal with. And, by deal with, i mean admit what you said about it was false.

Also, you made up that little bit about most muslims thinking that was just a dream.

No.. I didn't make anything up. Have you spent a lot of time in Arabia?

Forum List

Back