Religion and Ethics?

Feeding Crows

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2021
The title of this area is kinda like an oxymoron...

Religion: The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

Ethics: Moral principles that govern a person's behavior or the conducting of an activity.

The two are not compatible based on history.

Sure they are. A person need not worry about their ethics so long as they put their faith in some personal god or gods, especially Jeebus, while the reality based shall Shirley burn in hell.

Two different things... You hear it.

Religion and Ethics. They are opposed to each other.

Last edited:

Religion: The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

Ethics: Moral principles that govern a person's behavior or the conducting of an activity.

Of course they are. Religion teaches ethical values - giving to charity; refraining from doing that which is distasteful to you; not stealing.; being kind to animals; not lying; etc.

You are just negative towards religion.

Sounds like w/ the definitions you've offered that your ideas are consistent, but from what I understand very few people use those definitions. Both religion and and ethics are not very good terms that can be defined but are more like "concepts" that can be discussed.

When I looked up common definitions of "religion", the first one pretty much agreed w/ ur definition:

religion

rĭ-lĭj′ən

noun

1. The belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers, regarded as creating and governing the universe.
  2. A particular variety of such belief, especially when organized into a system of doctrine and practice.
  3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

--but the second or third definitions may be more useful for this discussion. Example: most folks say that Buddhism is a religion, yet they do not talk about God.

Sounds like w/ the definitions you've offered that your ideas are consistent, but from what I understand very few people use those definitions. Both religion and and ethics are not very good terms that can be defined but are more like "concepts" that can be discussed.

When I looked up common definitions of "religion", the first one pretty much agreed w/ ur definition:

--but the second or third definitions may be more useful for this discussion. Example: most folks say that Buddhism is a religion, yet they do not talk about God.
- and to add to that, one can be Jewish - appreciating and following the traditions and values - and not believe in G-d, as well. I know several people like that, who are actually fairly religious.

Of course they are. Religion teaches ethical values - giving to charity; refraining from doing that which is distasteful to you; not stealing.; being kind to animals; not lying; etc.

You are just negative towards religion.
Seriously? That's not the way it actually rolled.

How about genocide, rape, torture, And forcing every surviving women and children to believe your religion, or die!

And that's why you believe your religion. You were forced to. You didn't choose it....

So your religious crap is absolute bullshit. Have at it! Don't think you are better than anyone, when you believe in Santa Claus.

Forum List

Back