During a visit to the Austin area, my wife and I stumbled on an outdoor service in the beirgarten of a German restaurant.

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
It was very casual, and they were very welcoming to us, but they had made no attempt to draw people in. My wife was shy to enter, because there were no, "come to our service" signs as you often see outside of churches.

I liked it very much. It was mother's day and the older pastor had an interesting take on what I would describe as his perception of God as an androgynous spirit. He quoted several passages in which God made an analogy of his actions to that of a female, such as a mother bear and a mother Eagle. I had never heard a pastor describe God as anything but fully male. I primarily have attended Baptist churches.

As part of the welcome, we were offered Mimosas or Bloody Mary's. I do my drinking after the day is done, so I just took some OJ. But I think that is a great idea. I'm sure there are many people who avoid church due to hangovers, so a hair of the dog is no more out of line than offering doughnuts in case people might miss church to eat breakfast.

There are a lot of small churches who can't afford property that hold their meetings in places like restaurants and the like.

Forum List

Back