Racial Bias, Even When We Have Good Intentions

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/04/upshot/the-measuring-sticks-of-racial-bias-.html?abt=0002&abg=1

I'll skip to the good part:

■ When doctors were shown patient histories and asked to make judgments about heart disease, they were much less likely to recommend cardiac catheterization (a helpful procedure) to black patients — even when their medical files were statistically identical to those of white patients.

Hmmm, Life

■ When whites and blacks were sent to bargain for a used car, blacks were offered initial prices roughly $700 higher, and they received far smaller concessions.

Hmmm, Money

■ Several studies found that sending emails with stereotypically black names in response to apartment-rental ads on Craigslist elicited fewer responses than sending ones with white names. A regularly repeated study by the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development sent African-Americans and whites to look at apartments and found that African-Americans were shown fewer apartments to rent and houses for sale.

Hmm, Housing

White state legislators were found to be less likely to respond to constituents with African-American names. This was true of legislators in both political parties.

Political....*tee hee* change the system

Emails sent to faculty members at universities, asking to talk about research opportunities, were more likely to get a reply if a stereotypically white name was used.

Hmmm, Employment

To be fair:

There are some counterexamples: Data show that some places, like elite colleges, most likely do favor minority applicants. But this evidence underlies that a helping hand in one area does not preclude harmful shoves in many other areas, including ignored résumés, unhelpful faculty members and reluctant landlords.

So yeah....Some colleges favor minorities (not just blacks) but congrats college favored you but the workplace, housing, justice and poltical system ignores you. So...like, it evens out

When our own résumé study came out, many human-resources managers told us they were stunned. They prized creating diversity in their companies, yet here was evidence that they were doing anything but. How was that possible?

To use the language of the psychologist Daniel Kahneman, we think both fast and slow. When deciding what iPod to buy or which résumé to pursue, we weigh a few factors deliberately (“slow”). But for hundreds of other factors, we must rely on intuitive judgment — and we weigh these unconsciously (“fast”).

Another "you might not think you're a racist but you really are" bullshit thread

Its a system put in place since the founding of the country. This system was put in place to guarantee whites got the rewards and benefits from everyones efforts. This system went on unabated until the 60's. Its so ingrained whites pretend or cant see its still in place even though its crumbling. The ones that see it crumbling tend to be the same ones that swear whites are discriminated against even though they hold all the resources and own all the systems in this country while everyone else gets partial AA.

Last edited:
Another "you might not think you're a racist but you really are" bullshit thread

How many times do I have to say this has nothing to do with racism? You're the only person to even say the word. Seems like this is the way you deal with inconvenient facts is to claim its something other than what is typed

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/04/upshot/the-measuring-sticks-of-racial-bias-.html?abt=0002&abg=1

I'll skip to the good part:

■ When doctors were shown patient histories and asked to make judgments about heart disease, they were much less likely to recommend cardiac catheterization (a helpful procedure) to black patients — even when their medical files were statistically identical to those of white patients.

Hmmm, Life

■ When whites and blacks were sent to bargain for a used car, blacks were offered initial prices roughly $700 higher, and they received far smaller concessions.

Hmmm, Money

■ Several studies found that sending emails with stereotypically black names in response to apartment-rental ads on Craigslist elicited fewer responses than sending ones with white names. A regularly repeated study by the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development sent African-Americans and whites to look at apartments and found that African-Americans were shown fewer apartments to rent and houses for sale.

Hmm, Housing

White state legislators were found to be less likely to respond to constituents with African-American names. This was true of legislators in both political parties.

Political....*tee hee* change the system

Emails sent to faculty members at universities, asking to talk about research opportunities, were more likely to get a reply if a stereotypically white name was used.

Hmmm, Employment

To be fair:

There are some counterexamples: Data show that some places, like elite colleges, most likely do favor minority applicants. But this evidence underlies that a helping hand in one area does not preclude harmful shoves in many other areas, including ignored résumés, unhelpful faculty members and reluctant landlords.

So yeah....Some colleges favor minorities (not just blacks) but congrats college favored you but the workplace, housing, justice and poltical system ignores you. So...like, it evens out

When our own résumé study came out, many human-resources managers told us they were stunned. They prized creating diversity in their companies, yet here was evidence that they were doing anything but. How was that possible?

To use the language of the psychologist Daniel Kahneman, we think both fast and slow. When deciding what iPod to buy or which résumé to pursue, we weigh a few factors deliberately (“slow”). But for hundreds of other factors, we must rely on intuitive judgment — and we weigh these unconsciously (“fast”).
Sucks to be you. White privilege rocks!

I wouldn't trust the New York Times to accurately poll, study, or report anything. They are liars, they have been proven to lie on numerous occasions.

Good because the NYTimes didnt do any polling. So its all good

So it's racist to make decisions based on the probabilities of success?
I play a lot of Texas Hold 'em poker. I'm unlikely to bet 6's when there's ace king 10 on the flop.
Stereotypes may not be a sure thing, but they are stereotypical for a reason.

I wouldn't trust the New York Times to accurately poll, study, or report anything. They are liars, they have been proven to lie on numerous occasions.

Or anything they reported.

Good because they provided links. So its all good

You libs have reading comprehension problems we know that so let me help you. As I said, I wouldn't trust anything they reported. Links don't matter because they report crap from biased untrustworthy sources. There could be 100 studies that show the opposite but the NYT would never report it. They don't practice journalism, they practice Narrative Journalism. They only report what fits the narrative and it doesn't have to be accurate.

Good because they provided links. So its all good

You libs have reading comprehension problems we know that so let me help you. As I said, I wouldn't trust anything they reported. Links don't matter because they report crap from biased untrustworthy sources. There could be 100 studies that show the opposite but the NYT would never report it. They don't practice journalism, they practice Narrative Journalism. They only report what fits the narrative and it doesn't have to be accurate.

There could be 100 studies out there but all you've done is say maybe instead of like, yanno, providing ONE that shows this to be wrong. But when you cant prove something wrong your only recourse is to cast doubt.

I mean, you can just copy and paste the information that shows it to be wrong....ooooooorrrr you can type another paragraph saying "no no no no no".

You gonna post that or nah?

Its a system put in place since the founding of the country. This system was put in place to guarantee whites got the rewards and benefits from everyones efforts. This system went on unabated until the 60's. Its so ingrained whites pretend or cant see its still in place even though its crumbling. The ones that see it crumbling tend to be the same ones that swear whites are discriminated against even though they hold all the resources and own all the systems in this country while everyone else gets partial AA.

Is this the same country and system that has a black president and a black attorney general?

You morons need to grow some thicker skin and stop your whining.

Is this the same country and system that has a black president and a black attorney general?

Yes it is

Forum List

Back