Question from a non-American. Do you guys really hate each other?

RUNVS

Jan 22, 2015
I am not American but I do find American politics to be quite interesting in a sort of soap opera sort of way but one thing I really don't get is in America, unlike my own country (Australia) there seems to be a genuine hatred between the left and right, as in both would love to completely destroy the other and pretty much hate everything that the other side stands for.

I know my country the left wing party (Labor) and the right wing party (Liberals) are not too far away from each other politically, and while there is a lot of animosity there is not really any hatred. In America though I get the impression that the Republicans would have welcomed a recession when Obama was in charge as that way he would have been blamed, and Democrats would welcome a market crash now because he would be blamed, it seemingly not mattering that your country would be falling down a toilet, as long as the other side gets the blame for it.

Admittedly I don't know the politics of every fully Democratic nation, that would be impossible, but as far as I know America is quite unique in just how much both sides hate each other.

My question is do both sides genuinely hate each other, would each side be happy to see America burn if they could blame the other side, and if this is the case?

I also must admit that the differences between the US states is quite amazing. I go from one state in my own country to another, and basically they are the same, more or less anyway, but in America I get the feeling that New York and California are so different to Texas and Alabama that they may as well be in different countries in terms of beliefs and general ideology on almost every issue. I find it amazing that these states are in the same country as it almost feels as convoluted as the Austro-Hungarian empire, with dozens of different ethnic groups within the one country, all wanting very different things and none of them feeling that united.

So my general question is how divided is America, is it so divided that one side of politics would love to see America enter a deep depression just so the other political party could be blamed for it, and if so is that a healthy situation to be in?

Not that I am advocating for it, but with the massive differences between the red and the blue states America from an outsiders point of view seems like it is in a very unhappy marriage where both parties are staying together for the sake of the children, but end up fighting a lot in front of the children and making them cry so I wonder, if what I am saying is remotely accurate why isn't there more talk about an amicable divorce, where the blue states go their own way and the red states go another, where both sides can go the direction they want to go and seemingly not being held back by the other side.

I mean, do the people of Alabama really care that much about the people of New York, or vice-versa? Also is politics and America in general as divided as I have made out, or is America more like siblings who hate each other and will kick the crap out of each other but deep down love each other as well, even though they would never admit it?

I am not American but I do find American politics to be quite interesting in a sort of soap opera sort of way but one thing I really don't get is in America, unlike my own country (Australia) there seems to be a genuine hatred between the left and right, as in both would love to completely destroy the other and pretty much hate everything that the other side stands for.

I know my country the left wing party (Labor) and the right wing party (Liberals) are not too far away from each other politically, and while there is a lot of animosity there is not really any hatred. In America though I get the impression that the Republicans would have welcomed a recession when Obama was in charge as that way he would have been blamed, and Democrats would welcome a market crash now because he would be blamed, it seemingly not mattering that your country would be falling down a toilet, as long as the other side gets the blame for it.

Admittedly I don't know the politics of every fully Democratic nation, that would be impossible, but as far as I know America is quite unique in just how much both sides hate each other.

My question is do both sides genuinely hate each other, would each side be happy to see America burn if they could blame the other side, and if this is the case?

I also must admit that the differences between the US states is quite amazing. I go from one state in my own country to another, and basically they are the same, more or less anyway, but in America I get the feeling that New York and California are so different to Texas and Alabama that they may as well be in different countries in terms of beliefs and general ideology on almost every issue. I find it amazing that these states are in the same country as it almost feels as convoluted as the Austro-Hungarian empire, with dozens of different ethnic groups within the one country, all wanting very different things and none of them feeling that united.

So my general question is how divided is America, is it so divided that one side of politics would love to see America enter a deep depression just so the other political party could be blamed for it, and if so is that a healthy situation to be in?

Not that I am advocating for it, but with the massive differences between the red and the blue states America from an outsiders point of view seems like it is in a very unhappy marriage where both parties are staying together for the sake of the children, but end up fighting a lot in front of the children and making them cry so I wonder, if what I am saying is remotely accurate why isn't there more talk about an amicable divorce, where the blue states go their own way and the red states go another, where both sides can go the direction they want to go and seemingly not being held back by the other side.

I mean, do the people of Alabama really care that much about the people of New York, or vice-versa? Also is politics and America in general as divided as I have made out, or is America more like siblings who hate each other and will kick the crap out of each other but deep down love each other as well, even though they would never admit it?
I don't like saying it, but I do think our ends of the spectrum really do hate each other.

Ironically, they share many behaviors, and that probably makes them even more angry.

Personal insults, name-calling, hyperbole, distortion, straw man arguments, tribalism, denial. It's all the same stuff.

Imagine going through life, being so similar in behaviors to those you loathe.

Short of some idiots in metro areas.
America is a peaceful nation.
Don't use the media or sites like this as a barometer of the nation.

Bad news and conflict sells.

The right hates everyone that they feel doesn't measure up to their archaic standards.

The left just wants the best for everyone.

Yes, they really do hate each other. As Mac said, the people on the wings on both sides hate each other but are also mirror images of each other.

The thing about this hate is that it is driven and fostered by the very people we elect to govern. A divided populous is far easier to control, they know that hate for the other side will allow them to do whatever they want and their side will still support them 100%

There’s far more hatred from the “fly over” crowd towards the “coastal elites” than the other way around.

Well you see, America was founded on a certain set of principles that the left are constantly trying to pervert in an effort to make all citizenry serfs (for some unknown reason). "Conservatives" are trying to conserve the way the Founding Fathers set this country up to run.

It was more a country of motivated entrepeneurs than a penal colony.

Well you see, America was founded on a certain set of principles that the left are constantly trying to pervert in an effort to make all citizenry serfs (for some unknown reason). "Conservatives" are trying to conserve the way the Founding Fathers set this country up to run.

So genuine question, if you dislike them so much, why do you want the West Coast states, and the states in the North East to be apart of America? If given the choice, would you want them to be their own country? I mean you just said that these states essentially go against what being American is all about.

If you want them to still be a part of America, how does that work when you say they are anti-American?

Rhetoric has been so blown out of proportion that people have been maneuvered into having to 'hate' in order to speak. It is superficial, but still dangerous since it so pollutes discourse.

You evidently dont know what "everyone" means.
And i certainly dont need a bedwetter telling me what i "need"

So genuine question, if you dislike them so much, why do you want the West Coast states, and the states in the North East to be apart of America? If given the choice, would you want them to be their own country? I mean you just said that these states essentially go against what being American is all about.

If you want them to still be a part of America, how does that work when you say they are anti-American?

Much of how they think out west is due to in-school leftist indoctrination. If/when that gets stopped, most people are normal Americans. There's a large percentage of illegals out west as well. Then you have totally perverted and depraved Hollywood, too. 90+% of the media is leftist, that's not representative of the majority of the country, but they have all the "megaphones".

I don't like saying it, but I do think our ends of the spectrum really do hate each other.

Ironically, they share many behaviors, and that probably makes them even more angry.

Personal insults, name-calling, hyperbole, distortion, straw man arguments, tribalism, denial. It's all the same stuff.

i think the "ends" always have, always will. that's what makes them "the ends".

the problem is somewhere along the line we "normalized the extreme" and that puts a bigger focus on these "end extremes" than they've had in the past. normally this comes and goes as fads come and go. look back to the late 60s early 70s and the hate we had then. it certainly wasn't a majority of the people on protests and marches, it was the extremes doing what they do when the camera is on them. they go be extreme.

couple this with today we can see what is going on in the world instantly 24x7, we've not really learned as a culture how to process such information so fast. hell we still pass on chain letters as if bill gates is really giving away millions.

if we stop making extreme position our talking point, they'll shut up. but the middle ground has to take control of the mic and stop the whiners from whining cause regardless of what you do, they're going to whine. that's what they do.

Yes, it has come down to hate

Our political system used to rely on compromise. I’ll give a little, you give a little and we will meet somewhere in the middle

Now a win/win solution can’t be tolerated because it allows the other side to win also

please dont think what dems and repubes do as the typical way we feel towards each other

more so over the last 50 yrs those two partys have degraded not just america people but the human race itself with their bigotry racism and downright satanic behavior,,,

they are the worst of the worst

You evidently dont know what "everyone" means.
And i certainly dont need a bedwetter telling me what i "need"

Is he a Brit? Ask him about the Monty Python situation regarding Brexit.

Try him on the hate fest outside Westminster yesterday.

The sanctimonious arsehole.

we got DIVERSITY and endless disdain for the OTHER guy. It's been
going on since Jamestown 1607. The best artistic manifestation
of our hatreds can be discerned musically------from the famous
MUSICAL ----OKLAHOMA in the song "THE COWMAN AND THE
FARMER SHOULD BE FRIENDS"

I think "hate of each other" is far too strong an expression to describe Americans of all walks of life, but for a very tiny percentage of the population. Taking the soap opera, as presented by some of the media, seriously is not advisable.

I would also take everything you hear from Mac with a grain of salt. He loves to throw into the same pot racists, misogynists, flat-earthers, science deniers, xenophobes, nativists, borderline and not-so-borderline Nazis with folks who mostly value science and facts, stand up against misogynists, xenophobes, nativists, and Nazis. He does so based on the utterly surprising finding that human foibles, being human and all, are to be found among humans, and regardless of political persuasion. Surprising as that may seem, it isn't, and the "insights" drawn from Mac's shtick are few. Very few. Yet he loves riding that old mare - impervious, so far, to any and all advice that it is dead, has been for a very long time, if it ever was alive. But then, that's Mac, ever so hopeful the mare will get him... somewhere.

Yes, it has come down to hate

Our political system used to rely on compromise. I’ll give a little, you give a little and we will meet somewhere in the middle

Now a win/win solution can’t be tolerated because it allows the other side to win also
compromise is whats destroyed this country, rule of law is what made it great,,,ie the constitution

the only thing compromise gives you is two losing sides

Forum List

Back