Punishment of sinners in Hell are forever because God is infinitely good.

Atheists and humanists don't need the fear of the magic sky daddy to understand right from wrong.

Yes I do. If I didn't have someone threatening me with an eternal "...or else" I would never have been nice to people and not lied, cheated, stolen, or killed just because.

Sorry, I do not buy into the war god myth ; YHWEH does not practise what he preaches, and no apologetic discourse will change that fact.

LOL... I suppose I went a little off track.

I meant only to point out that the definition of murder in the command to not murder, as Jesus used the term to describe the talking serpent," A murderer from the beginning" has nothing whatever to do with your understanding of the legal definition of the term as a crime of killing the body..

You may not believe in any war god myth, It certainly doesn't affect me one way or the other because I was not trying to be an apologist for such a belief, but since it seemed that way to you and you conveniently avoided responding to the subject of murder, after I showed you the difference between the literal legal and figurative scriptural definition of the term, let me ask you this.

If Moses, according to the myth, was told by God to wage war against a degenerate people who have become blinded by hatred and driven insane by false teaching, violence, and suffering, and to completely destroy them leaving no remnant, is it really any different than people today who have decided that the only righteous course of action to take when faced with such an enemy as al Queda or Isil, or Hamas or Hezbollah, Boko Haram or any other such barbaric group of animals, to completely destroy them?

Current events are certainly no myth.

Do you think it would be wrong to wipe them out? Was it a bad thing to destroy the Nazis who tried to impose their perverse views and barbarism on the world??

Hobelim, I was not referring to Moses, but to the acts commited by YHWH in the bible. I cannot accept that a supreme deity would commit such horrendous acts against his own supposed creation, including mass extermination and eternal damnation in hell (a false teaching). This is murder of both the spirit and flesh, hence the accusation. I am not a believer in the Israelite god YHWH .

Thanks for clearing that up and I do agree, for the most part, but if the planet was not subject to mass extinctions, permitted by God against his own creations, human beings would most likely not exist at all.

What I get is that the Bible was written in figurative language that can be interpreted in many ways as is implied by "the cherubim with flaming and flashing sword that turns in every direction, to guard the way to the tree of life", and the verse that states that God has chosen to exist surrounded by thick clouds that obscure perception..

That's why people who think that God is a prick tend to be pricks, those who believe that God is kind tend to be kind, etc.

My guess is that described events, such as the deluge or the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah were probably based on actual events that was caused by something that fell from the sky or some other natural event and were embellished and turned into instructional stories for adults and children.

It would have seemed perfectly logical for people living thousands of years ago to conclude that there was an angry God somewhere up there who somehow favored the survivors.

The devastation was real.

I have no doubt the bible is myth created for spiritual teaching, however I am referring to the way it is preached to the masses.

I have no doubt the bible is myth created for spiritual teaching, however I am referring to the way it is preached to the masses.

Then you and I and Jesus are in agreement with that. It seems that he died opposing the way it was taught to the masses, trying to reveal secret teachings that were held back from the ordinary layman. A whistle blower if you will who became the enemy of those who profited and led lives of comfort and ease by keeping the majority of the people in the dark who saw them as stars fixed in their high and lofty places.

When these men have undergone, with blamelessness of conduct, a two year preparation in the fundamentals of the community, they shall be segregated as especially sacred among the formal members of the community. Any knowledge which the expositor of the law may posses but which may have to remain arcane to the ordinary layman, he shall not keep hidden from them; for in their case there need be no fear that it might induce apostasy.

Of religious discussion.

No one is to engage in discussion or disputation with men of ill repute; and in the company of froward men everyone is to abstain from talk about (keep hidden) the meaning of the Law [Torah].
Manual of Discipline

No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. Matthew 5:15

Then Jesus asked them, "Would anyone light a lamp and then put it under a basket or under a bed? Of course not! A lamp is placed on a stand, where its light will shine. Mark 4:21

"No one, after lighting a lamp, puts it away in a cellar nor under a basket, but on the lampstand, so that those who enter may see the light." Luke 11:33

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure lying buried in a field. The man who found it, buried it again. Matthew 13:44

God is perfectly good meaning God is also perfectly just. The perfect justice of God leads Him perfectly judging all sinners for their sins. Sins are crimes done against God, an infinitely good and holy being. Crimes against an infinite God are infinite in nature and the punishments for infinite sins are necessarily infinite. Therefore, sinners are punished by God in Hell, which is forever.

God is infinite in status as Sovereign. All crimes committed against an infinite Sovereign are by definition crimes of infinite magnitude. The sentences for crimes of infinite magnitude, as judged by a perfectly just God, necessarily have to be punishments that are infinite in their nature. Therefore, sinners are justly punished by infinite sufferings that last forever in Hell.

I don't know from where you obtained your information but if you are really interested in learning the truth then I submit you should purchase or borrow a Bible and read it.

God is perfectly good meaning God is also perfectly just. The perfect justice of God leads Him perfectly judging all sinners for their sins. Sins are crimes done against God, an infinitely good and holy being. Crimes against an infinite God are infinite in nature and the punishments for infinite sins are necessarily infinite. Therefore, sinners are punished by God in Hell, which is forever.

God is infinite in status as Sovereign. All crimes committed against an infinite Sovereign are by definition crimes of infinite magnitude. The sentences for crimes of infinite magnitude, as judged by a perfectly just God, necessarily have to be punishments that are infinite in their nature. Therefore, sinners are justly punished by infinite sufferings that last forever in Hell.

Think Buddhism's concept of Hell was it's temporary. As is Heaven. But then they have reincarnation too so guess that'd make more sense.

Not every religious concept of reward/punishment is as ridiculous as others'. :)

Buddhism's concept of hell has nothing at all to do with punishment. It is just one of an infinite planes of existence.

I don't know from where you obtained your information but if you are really interested in learning the truth then I submit you should purchase or borrow a Bible and read it.

"Read the Bible if you want to learn the truth of God's Word" is an excellent advice to give to all sinners. Keep in mind the caveat is that only the elect can recognize the truth as being true when they see it while reading the Bible. The Holy Spirit reveals the truth to the elect. To us who are being saved the word of the cross is the power of God.

1 Corinthians 1:18
For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

Think Buddhism's concept of Hell was it's temporary. As is Heaven. But then they have reincarnation too so guess that'd make more sense.

Not every religious concept of reward/punishment is as ridiculous as others'. :)

Buddhism's concept of hell has nothing at all to do with punishment. It is just one of an infinite planes of existence.

To pay for everything you have done, to account for every action, and its reaction over countless lifetimes is a formidable prospect. Imagine being the soul of Hitler and having to account for every death he caused.
His soul has an unimaginable burden to carry over countless incarnations before he can hope to be free of the bad karma. This is the reason we cannot remember past lives, as it would drive us mad to know what a burden we carry. But the angels of karma know everything about us and what we deserve, and they administrate our karma accordingly.

"Read the Bible if you want to learn the truth of God's Word" is an excellent advice to give to all sinners. Keep in mind the caveat is that only the elect can recognize the truth as being true when they see it while reading the Bible. The Holy Spirit reveals the truth to the elect. To us who are being saved the word of the cross is the power of God.

1 Corinthians 1:18
For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

What you say here is certainly the truth of the matter. It grieves me that God must suffer so much character bashing by those who are not led by the Spirit of Truth.

Why would a good god create a realm where all his dissenters and opposition are tortured for eternity? When human dictators do that we certainly don't say they're dictators but really nice guys.

Why would a good god create a realm where all his dissenters and opposition are tortured for eternity? When human dictators do that we certainly don't say they're dictators but really nice guys.

A good god wouldn't. The God of the Bible didn't and doesn't. You simply are not putting forth the truth as revealed in the Bible. I cannot fathom what your purpose is in posting false information and your obvious attempts here to discredit the nature and character of God.

Since billions of people have died throughout history without belief or knowledge or acceptance of God and you claim they are suffering in a fiery hell of punishment, I challenge you to produce just one little scripture that names just one individual who is or has ever suffered in this fiery hell of yours. Since Cain was the first recorded murderer, it would seem that he should be suffering in this hell of yours. Can you produce a single scripture that says Cain is suffering in hell? Can you provide a single scripture that names anyone that is?

Last edited:
I just spent 5 minutes reading a few of these posts, so I guess that means that I have fulfilled my obligation to go to church on Sunday. Now it is time to get away from these fairy tales and hit the golf course....

Can you produce a single scripture that says Cain is suffering in hell? Can you provide a single scripture that names anyone that is?

“There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

“The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’

“But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’

“He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’

“Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’

“‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’

“He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”

Luke 16:19-31

Can you produce a single scripture that says Cain is suffering in hell? Can you provide a single scripture that names anyone that is?

“There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

“The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’

“But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’

“He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’

“‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’

“He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”

That is a parable my Friend. You should know that.

Christ didn't preach hell and damnation. He preached the gospel and kingdom. I much prefer following His example. There is power in it.

I don't think you understand the mystery of eternal punishment though

Mormons are pagans. You're in imminent danger of Hell!

Christ didn't preach hell and damnation. He preached the gospel and kingdom. I much prefer following His example. There is power in it.

Mormons are pagans. You're in imminent danger of Hell!

then I guess I should learn to irrigate

not to mention it doesn't answer the question at all

Jesus Christ preached more on hell than anyone else in the bible, Avatar. Much of what you've been taught in the Mormon church is not the truth about Jesus Christ. I would encourage you to read the King James Bible and you'll find that it does not teach that Jesus Christ and Satan were brothers - spiritual or otherwise. Your Mormon church teaches that God was once a man. Brigham Young taught that. See the Journal of Discourse Volume II page 40. The Mormon people were also taught that God had many wives. Look up The Seer by Orson Patt Page 172 and the Mormon people are also taught that God the Father lives on a planet near the star, Kolob, and he is with his wives having spiritual children. Read Pearl of Great Price Abraham 3:9, 16. It is a false teaching opposed to the Bible which says, Our Father which is in heaven. Matthew 6:9. As I said earlier you are taught Jesus and Satan were Spiritual brothers - see Ensign Magazine December 1980 - But the Bible says that Jesus is God, the Creator of everything, in the earth and in heaven (including Lucifer ) see the Bible Col. 16:18

Furthermore you are taught in the Mormon church that you will become gods and with a planet of your own - see Articles of Faith by James Talmadge Page 430 and the Journal of Discourses shows that Mormons once taught that Jesus had many wives including the two sisters of Lazarus and Mary Magdalene. See Journal of Discourses Volume 1 page 345 and also Volume II Page 210. You were wrongly taught that Jesus couldn't become a god until he married. See Mormon Doctrine, by Bruce R. McConkie pages 117 and 118. But it is written:

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever. Hebrews 13:8

Jesus has always been God. See John 1: 1-3 and Revelation 1:8

You are a very nice person, Avatar, but you have been deceived by the false teachings of the Mormon Church and although you have been taught otherwise - if you will read the King James Bible from cover to cover you will see that Jesus Christ did indeed teach more on hell than any other - in the bible. Look it up - do your own research and be free from man made religion. Leave it all and follow Christ. He died for you. Not Brigham Young or Joseph Smith. Jesus Christ is God. Without that confession - you cannot enter the kingdom of heaven, Avatar. God loves you and God is Jesus Christ.

When religions prophesize about the return of some key figure, I've always read that to mean "someone like them." Not the individual literally returning from beyond the grave.

You've always read that to mean "someone like them" doesn't answer my question.

"some people like cupcakes better. I for one care less for them!"

Your question requires speculation. My answer answered your question in that I don't believe in those sorts of prophecies being literal. If I were to speculate though, other than those people literally coming back from beyond the grave, cloning seems one way. Just as we can in theory recreate extinct species like Mastadons, presumedly someone dead for far less time could be cloned and 'come back.' Of course, recreating a Biblical figure from their own DNA doesn't bring the individual back, just their body. Everything that made the person unique is still absent as individuality is by way of our brains. Cloning doesn't return the unique combination of memories and experiences a living brain has. You're basicly just creating the meat, not the information in the meat.

Wrong. Jesus Christ is the Messiah.
When religions prophesize about the return of some key figure, I've always read that to mean "someone like them." Not the individual literally returning from beyond the grave.

You've always read that to mean "someone like them" doesn't answer my question.

"some people like cupcakes better. I for one care less for them!"

Your question requires speculation. My answer answered your question in that I don't believe in those sorts of prophecies being literal. If I were to speculate though, other than those people literally coming back from beyond the grave, cloning seems one way. Just as we can in theory recreate extinct species like Mastadons, presumedly someone dead for far less time could be cloned and 'come back.' Of course, recreating a Biblical figure from their own DNA doesn't bring the individual back, just their body. Everything that made the person unique is still absent as individuality is by way of our brains. Cloning doesn't return the unique combination of memories and experiences a living brain has. You're basicly just creating the meat, not the information in the meat.

Not at all. It is written:
And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer,Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.
Zechariah 13:6

This is prophecy. Who is it speaking of? The Messiah. What does the house of Israel ask the Messiah? Lord! What are these wounds in thine hands?

NOTE THIS - this question shall be asked because they will see the nail wounds in the hands of Jesus Christ. Then Jesus responds with this:

Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.

It is the moment of reality that Jesus Christ is the Messiah - the same Messiah their ancestors cried out - Crucify Him!

So this is coming in the future and it is the very same Messiah they wanted crucified. It is the most important moment in the history of the Jews because they will realize Jesus is their Messiah and he will embrace them and it will be a reunion of epic proportions - in other words - it will be the picture of the reunion between Joseph and his brothers - once Joseph removed his disguise - many, many times greater!

What a moment that shall be!

so Jesus is God and yet somehow saying God became a man is false despite the fact that it's the entire premise of the new testament

I do know that. You asked for a scripture that names a person suffering in hell. There it is.

.In the parable, a great chasm has been set in place that separates the living from the dead.

If you were not once a finely adorned rich man who died, descended into the netherworld, and is already suffering in hell my friend, explain the parable...

Last edited:

If God is so unfair then maybe you can answer the following question for me, both, what you would choose and if that would be unfair to you?

==========================================

Perhaps no one can say why there has to be an eternal hell for some souls, but I do have a question for those who may reject God for that reason. I am wondering now. But I believe God loves you enough where perhaps if you are not happy with the idea of being given the gift of eternal life because the possibility of hell also exists, then maybe you can appeal in a prayer? Ask God if at the moment you pass from this world, might he just turn you into a rock instead? Pure oblivion, no pain, no consciousness, no nothing. In that way you will not risk any suffering in hell -- which you never asked for, by the way, when He created you. Ok, that’s true. However, in so doing, neither will you ever be given the opportunity to know heaven or see your loved ones again or have any consciousness. That would have to be the bargain.

I am curious to know if this disturbance to the idea of hell is a primary reason many choose to not to think about God very much or do much about it? Perhaps understandable to a degree, but why would anyone still not be fascinated, if not obsessed, with what life and death is all about and what may lie ahead? The evidence can be found in so many places, in so many ways about this God which so many want to believe in yet keep at a safe distance just the same. The evidence for Jesus, Mary, the saints, the miracles, heaven, hell, purgatory, and redemption all can be known. I submit Christianity has given far more to this world than all of its failures combined. God can only work with sinners so is it fair to point only to the failures of this faith and ignore its virtues when judging the message and works?

God’s promise to the world is that heaven awaits those who seek Him, yet if you choose to be filled with pride and live this life only for yourself, its pleasures and its comforts --- and in so doing ignore His calling, even His existence, then perhaps an awful fate is possible? It is a risk, granted, but is it unfair? Would one prefer to be turned into a rock instead? Maybe God will honor your free will and grant such a way out? But who would choose anything so dour and final as that when there is so much to hope for and be grateful for? Nothing unfair or unloving about it in the least.

“God reveals His covenant to those who fear Him.”

but why would anyone still not be fascinated, if not obsessed, with what life and death is all about and what may lie ahead?

If you were not once a finely adorned rich man who set aside the commands of God as a matter of religious devotion and died, descended into the netherworld, and is already suffering the torment, confusion , and condemnation of hell, you would not be in the dark worshiping a matzoh made by human hands that you eat for spiritual life, even though it has no life, and you would not be baffled by what life and death is all about and what lies ahead.

Unless you have the will to deliberately rise from the grave, you will never know what life and death is all about in this world, and you will never find a place the next world, the promised reward of the righteous who taste of what lies ahead even before the body dies, in the same way your confusion is a taste. No one knows what hell is like any better than you.

If you do not repent and come out of your tomb, at least you will have a life overflowing with rich fantasies, an edible trinity to pray to, bread and wine to eat and drink, bleeding statues, rosary beads, and fantastical stories of the sun dancing in the sky and Jesus and Mary appearing all over the place on edible and inedible things with nothing to say and for no apparent reason at all to confound you even more along the way to destruction.

Last edited:

If God is so unfair then maybe you can answer the following question for me, both, what you would choose and if that would be unfair to you?

==========================================

Perhaps no one can say why there has to be an eternal hell for some souls, but I do have a question for those who may reject God for that reason. I am wondering now. But I believe God loves you enough where perhaps if you are not happy with the idea of being given the gift of eternal life because the possibility of hell also exists, then maybe you can appeal in a prayer? Ask God if at the moment you pass from this world, might he just turn you into a rock instead? Pure oblivion, no pain, no consciousness, no nothing. In that way you will not risk any suffering in hell -- which you never asked for, by the way, when He created you. Ok, that’s true. However, in so doing, neither will you ever be given the opportunity to know heaven or see your loved ones again or have any consciousness. That would have to be the bargain.

I am curious to know if this disturbance to the idea of hell is a primary reason many choose to not to think about God very much or do much about it? Perhaps understandable to a degree, but why would anyone still not be fascinated, if not obsessed, with what life and death is all about and what may lie ahead? The evidence can be found in so many places, in so many ways about this God which so many want to believe in yet keep at a safe distance just the same. The evidence for Jesus, Mary, the saints, the miracles, heaven, hell, purgatory, and redemption all can be known. I submit Christianity has given far more to this world than all of its failures combined. God can only work with sinners so is it fair to point only to the failures of this faith and ignore its virtues when judging the message and works?

God’s promise to the world is that heaven awaits those who seek Him, yet if you choose to be filled with pride and live this life only for yourself, its pleasures and its comforts --- and in so doing ignore His calling, even His existence, then perhaps an awful fate is possible? It is a risk, granted, but is it unfair? Would one prefer to be turned into a rock instead? Maybe God will honor your free will and grant such a way out? But who would choose anything so dour and final as that when there is so much to hope for and be grateful for? Nothing unfair or unloving about it in the least.

“God reveals His covenant to those who fear Him.”

You seem to assume that to reject the belief in eternal punishment is to reject the belief in God. I reject the belief my truck can fly, but that does not mean I reject the belief my truck exists.

Eternal punishment is pointless. It has no purpose at all, other than to act as a boogeyman for priests.

Forum List

Back