Propaganda in Film

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Disney is taking a lot of heat for depicting a lesbian kiss in the latest Toy Story animated feature; it is considered an attempt to propagandize a sexually-irregular relationship and lifestyle.

But there has been political propaganda in Film for decades, and few took exception to it. Nobody disputes that "war" films have always promoted the idea that military service was honorable and desirable, or that police dramas promote the falsehood that Bad Guys always get caught and are punished.

It has also been pointed out that in Film, handsome and pretty people are generally "good," while ugly and fat people are generally "bad." Not to mention the white hat vs black hat phenomenon, first contradicted by the television show, "Have Gun - Will Travel."

I submit that the lesbian kiss in Toy Story (or whatever it's called in this iteration) is far less subversive than the glamorization of fornication, adultery, and the false notion of female actuation in professional careers (vs motherhood).

But since there is no real way to regulate propaganda in Film, "we" have an obligation to support films that promote our own values, and decline to support films that promote values that we abhor.

Just my opinion.

Notable exception: Dexter, who killed "bad" people when Law Enforcement could not do so. Not really a good life philosophy.

Disney is taking a lot of heat for depicting a lesbian kiss in the latest Toy Story animated feature; it is considered an attempt to propagandize a sexually-irregular relationship and lifestyle.

But there has been political propaganda in Film for decades, and few took exception to it. Nobody disputes that "war" films have always promoted the idea that military service was honorable and desirable, or that police dramas promote the falsehood that Bad Guys always get caught and are punished.

It has also been pointed out that in Film, handsome and pretty people are generally "good," while ugly and fat people are generally "bad." Not to mention the white hat vs black hat phenomenon, first contradicted by the television show, "Have Gun - Will Travel."

I submit that the lesbian kiss in Toy Story (or whatever it's called in this iteration) is far less subversive than the glamorization of fornication, adultery, and the false notion of female actuation in professional careers (vs motherhood).

But since there is no real way to regulate propaganda in Film, "we" have an obligation to support films that promote our own values, and decline to support films that promote values that we abhor.

Just my opinion.

Notable exception: Dexter, who killed "bad" people when Law Enforcement could not do so. Not really a good life philosophy.
I think its stupid to throw in an inadvertant lesbian kiss just to get it in the movie....if the movie is about these characters and there are scenes where they show affection, fine. I wont watch it but others may choose to. I also think its stupid to have as many all black, all gay, mixed and anything non-white in commercials. If its diversity then there has to be white in them too. Pure woke propaganda.

Just my opinion.

The best part in all this chatter about the need to allow and promote the expression of every single possible aspect of the human condition ...
Is exactly what Charels Manson taught his followers in the desert before they got high and slaughtered a bunch of people.

I think its stupid to throw in an inadvertant lesbian kiss just to get it in the movie....if the movie is about these characters and there are scenes where they show affection, fine. I wont watch it but others may choose to. I also think its stupid to have as many all black, all gay, mixed and anything non-white in commercials. If its diversity then there has to be white in them too. Pure woke propaganda.
Pushing social agendas takes the fun out of watching a movie or TV program. The mount of companies involved in this is staggering.

Just my opinion.

I think it is in the aggregate of other things kids are being exposed to.
In this small scene, you are 100% correct in saying basically "well there are 1000 traditional romantic scenes, one lesbian scene is the end of the world?"
But when you add in together what schools are promoting, other entertainment etc. - kids are actually seeing things like this almost as much as traditional. Why is that wrong?
You can't think like an adult. You have to think like a kid. Two very different things.
In most cases the gay or lesbian or trans character is presented as something special or awesome, and not just co-existing with other characters. They have to go into that difference, not just show it.
I think that is why it is a problem.

Forum List

Back