‘The Marvels’ Misfires With $47 Million, Lowest MCU Opening Weekend of All Time

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Disney‘s Marvel Cinematic Universe is no longer a bulletproof box office franchise.

That much is clear after “The Marvels” misfired with $47 million in its opening weekend to land the worst debut in MCU history. Initial tracking was closer to $75 million to $80 million, but those projections shrank dramatically in recent weeks to $60 million to $65 million. With bad buzz and actors like Brie Larson unable to promote the film due to the SAG strike (which finally ended on Friday), “The Marvels” didn’t even match those disappointing estimates and became the MCU’s rare flop.

Only two other films in the sprawling series (“The Marvels” is the 33rd installment in 15 years) have opened to lower than $60 million: 2008’s “The Incredible Hulk” with $55.4 million and 2015’s “Ant-Man” with $57.2 million, not adjusted for inflation. Although the MCU has been showing rare signs of wear and tear in its Spandex, the franchise’s other two big-screen adventures to open this year, February’s “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania” ($106 million) and May’s “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” ($118 million), still managed to hit triple digits in their respective debuts.

“The Marvels” also fell short of expectations at the international box office with $63.3 million from 51 territories for a worldwide start of $110 million. Disney had hoped to generate at least $140 million globally over the weekend.

“The Marvels” turnout (or lack thereof) is surprising because the passionate MCU fanbase has turned even less-embraced installments into box-office winners. Audiences flat-out rejected “The Marvels,” so it’ll struggle to rebound as the holiday season heats up with “The Hunger Games” prequel “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes,” Disney’s animated “Wish” and other family-friendly films in the coming weeks. That’s a problem because these comic book tentpoles don’t come cheap; “The Marvels” cost $220 million to produce and roughly $100 million to promote the film to audiences across the globe.

“This is an unprecedented Marvel box office collapse,” says David A. Gross, who runs the movie consulting firm Franchise Entertainment Research. “The strikes hurt the film’s marketing, but that’s not what’s driving these numbers.”

Box Office: ‘The Marvels’ Misfires With $47 Million, Lowest MCU Opening Weekend of All Time

Marvels was a stupid concept, the white chick (Bre Larson) is unlikable, the diversity hires they crammed in for extra diversity made it much worse, totally unwatchable for me.

The normals are getting tired of all of the woke crap being force-fed to everyone constantly. Disney is still fighting hard to ignore that.

Sigh, I wonder which golden goose Disney will buy for the slaughter next.

Last edited:
So, higher than the opening weekend for Quantumania, Revenge of the Sith, Wonder Woman, Iron Man, Toy Story 3, most of the Harry Potters, etc, etc, etc. Variety is actively trying to make the MCU fail at this stage.

Disney had hoped to generate at least $140 million globally over the weekend.
Just months ago none of you psychopaths wanted Disney to make a single penny. Now you're whining because they "only" made $63.3 million.
qQVgqH1.gif
qQVgqH1.gif
qQVgqH1.gif

Just months ago none of you psychopaths wanted Disney to make a single penny. Now you're whining because they "only" made $63.3 million.
qQVgqH1.gif
qQVgqH1.gif
qQVgqH1.gif
As usual, you miss the point. The point being that Disney has ruined the franchise so badly that they’re putting out box office bust after bust after bust. The Marvels was shown in 4030 theaters opening weekend. Taking Revenge of the Sith, that was only shown in 3661 theaters. Meaning it made more per theater. Oops...

Disney‘s Marvel Cinematic Universe is no longer a bulletproof box office franchise.

That much is clear after “The Marvels” misfired with $47 million in its opening weekend to land the worst debut in MCU history. Initial tracking was closer to $75 million to $80 million, but those projections shrank dramatically in recent weeks to $60 million to $65 million. With bad buzz and actors like Brie Larson unable to promote the film due to the SAG strike (which finally ended on Friday), “The Marvels” didn’t even match those disappointing estimates and became the MCU’s rare flop.

Only two other films in the sprawling series (“The Marvels” is the 33rd installment in 15 years) have opened to lower than $60 million: 2008’s “The Incredible Hulk” with $55.4 million and 2015’s “Ant-Man” with $57.2 million, not adjusted for inflation. Although the MCU has been showing rare signs of wear and tear in its Spandex, the franchise’s other two big-screen adventures to open this year, February’s “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania” ($106 million) and May’s “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” ($118 million), still managed to hit triple digits in their respective debuts.

“The Marvels” also fell short of expectations at the international box office with $63.3 million from 51 territories for a worldwide start of $110 million. Disney had hoped to generate at least $140 million globally over the weekend.

“The Marvels” turnout (or lack thereof) is surprising because the passionate MCU fanbase has turned even less-embraced installments into box-office winners. Audiences flat-out rejected “The Marvels,” so it’ll struggle to rebound as the holiday season heats up with “The Hunger Games” prequel “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes,” Disney’s animated “Wish” and other family-friendly films in the coming weeks. That’s a problem because these comic book tentpoles don’t come cheap; “The Marvels” cost $220 million to produce and roughly $100 million to promote the film to audiences across the globe.

“This is an unprecedented Marvel box office collapse,” says David A. Gross, who runs the movie consulting firm Franchise Entertainment Research. “The strikes hurt the film’s marketing, but that’s not what’s driving these numbers.”

Box Office: ‘The Marvels’ Misfires With $47 Million, Lowest MCU Opening Weekend of All Time

Marvels was a stupid concept, the white chick (Bre Larson) is unlikable, the diversity hires they crammed in for extra diversity made it much worse, totally unwatchable for me.

The normals are getting tired of all of the woke crap being force-fed to everyone constantly. Disney is still fighting hard to ignore that.

Sigh, I wonder which golden goose Disney will buy for the slaughter next.

What about their carbon footprint??

Woke Marvels misfires?

I like good news! Thank you!:up:

The point being that Disney has ruined the franchise so badly
How so? Love & Thunder sucked, and Quantumania could have been a lot better, but I loved Multiverse of Madness, Black Widow, Shang-Chi, Spider-Man: No Way Home, Guardians 3. Wakanda Forever was meh, mainly because they had no Chadwick Boseman and didn't recast the role. Also, they fucked up Namor. The Eternals is way underrated.

I also really liked Hawkeye, WandaVision, Moon Knight, She-Hulk, Falcon & Winter Soldier. Loki was a little confusing and hard to follow. I watched a few What If?, but really not into the animation. I haven't watched Ms. Marvel yet.

So a lot of good, a few misfires.

Disney has chosen corporate suicide. Wish might be the biggest bomb to date. This is a company in disintegration.

So, higher than the opening weekend for Quantumania, Revenge of the Sith, Wonder Woman, Iron Man, Toy Story 3, most of the Harry Potters, etc, etc, etc. Variety is actively trying to make the MCU fail at this stage.
More lies by Synthia.

Revenge of the Sith opened with over a hundred million, with its budget being $113 million.

The Marvels has a budget of $200 million.

Iron Man also opened with $98 million with a $140 million budget.

Also, all the Harry Potter movies made well over $70 million and often $90 million on opening weekends. They all had budgets of about $100 - $125 million.

You haven't seen The Marvels, so you're talking out your ass as usual.
I saw the first Captain Marvel movie, it was horrible. Most people saw it assuming it would be good because just about all Marvel movies were back then and it was right before End Game.

But Bree Larson is about as interesting as a potted plant. They wrote her out of End Game and relegated her to a cameo.

But her character was written for leftwing morons like yourself, so I am sure you enjoyed it.

qQVgqH1.gif
qQVgqH1.gif
qQVgqH1.gif
I know math is racist, but with a budget of $200 million that is a massive loss of money. It also wasn’t $68 million, only $47 million box office total so far.

Disney sucks now.

We all know how they have ruined Star Wars.

The reports here in Central Florida is that Disney World is going to hell and they are not getting the crowds they have got in the past. The exorbitant cost is only one of the factors.

Tourist businesses in Orlando are starting to shut down.

Their wokeness in the movies have resulted in several failures. Their support of queers and transsexual didn't get them more popular.

Walt must be turning over in his grave seeing how the Hollywood Libtards have screwed up his wholesome family entertainment business.

I saw the first Captain Marvel movie, it was horrible. Most people saw it assuming it would be good because just about all Marvel movies were back then and it was right before End Game.

But Bree Larson is about as interesting as a potted plant. They wrote her out of End Game and relegated her to a cameo.

But her character was written for leftwing morons like yourself, so I am sure you enjoyed it.
Iron Man 2 and 3 sucked. Thor 2 sucked.

She was not written out of Endgame. She is too powerful a character to have her throughout the movie, making the rest of them irrelevant. That's why she shows up at the end to battle Thanos to a draw, basically.

I get it. You hate strong women.

Forum List

Back