‘The Marvels’ Misfires With $47 Million, Lowest MCU Opening Weekend of All Time

i dont care what they called him.....he aint the real Capt Marvel.....and those shitty writers knew this.....
I’ll agree the original Billy Batson Captain Marvel was and is the real deal

Marvel Comics just slapped together the other guy quick to nab the trademark

Those golden age Marvel Family stories are awesome

And the vast majority of MCU movies have been about men.

Why can’t a couple of them be about women?
The popularity in ticket sales was the barometer in near all films made at one time. then the TV cable industry and other ways became huge businesses with huge pools of resources from subscribers. Even with the streaming there is an affect. So, it is easy to be woke. And it also has affected quality. the number of TV shows and movies that are flops is amazing as the money coming in from people with TV sets supports it. Yeah, there are lady heroes. Changing the sex and color and anything else is heresy. These superheroes were made for male children at another time. They should not have been produced in this time period as expensive films if changing the formula to woke propaganda of fictional characters is the intention. No problem making news ones of race and culture and gender. Anyway, let people pick their own TV channels and let people pay for what they want. This will start the change to pay if you want to see something that interests you. There was a time when arrogant asses made films not caring how much money they made did not last long. now there are woke people involved who get multiple chances.

Were any of the female heroes lesbians?

Again, how exactly is the movie Marvels woke?

I’ll agree the original Billy Batson Captain Marvel was and is the real deal

Marvel Comics just slapped together the other guy quick to nab the trademark

Those golden age Marvel Family stories are awesome
1699913530701.png

Anytime I see a trailer with all women staring, or a "diverse cast" I automatically write it off. So even if Disney wasn't shit I'd still have 0 interest in the movie. But the fact it's also Disney makes me even less interested.

Anytime I see a trailer with all women staring, or a "diverse cast" I automatically write it off. So even if Disney wasn't shit I'd still have 0 interest in the movie. But the fact it's also Disney makes me even less interested.
The problem with the execs at Marvel / Disney, et al, is that comic books have always been dominated by customers who are boys and men.

The narcissists at Disney thought they could just kill off the old white male heroes, or turn them into old feeble men who are a mere shadow of their former selves. They did this with Obi Wan, Luke, Solo, Iron Man, Capt America, etc.... They just gave away Thor's hammer to a tiny 40 year old actress, who has never played an action hero in her entire career, and thought the fans would just mindlessly go along with that crap, and we'd all buy tickets.

So we end up with female Capt Marvel, and two other female characters. None of which the audience really know, or care about. And just to push girl-power to the nines, they race and gender swap the movie's villain Dar-Benn, the Kree General, and turned him into a woman of color.

DC, Marvel, Dark horse, have all been desperately trying to find a comic book recipe that will attract as many female as male customers, and they keep failing.

One big problem is that not everyone subscribes to Disney+. Most of the world did not watch Wanda Vision or Ms Marvel. Heck, even the Disney+ subscribers barely watched Ms Marvel. No one really knows or cares about Monica Rambeau or Ms Marvel. Capt America is a snobbish, insufferable loaner, who has does her own thing and barely helped out to defeat Thanos.

The audience for this movie was 61% male and 39% female, and only 22% of females were over the age of 25. I'm just going to assume a good portion of those women were dragged to the movie by their husband, boyfriend, brother or a friend. I have watched a chick flick because my wife wanted to see it.

To understand the audience that enjoys comic book hero movies, think of it like watching a sporting event. There are teams, battles, physical violence, competition, and one side wins and the other loses. The audience that likes that stuff is predominately male, always has been, always will be.

There are some women who enjoy sports and comics, but the vast majority are men. What Disney and Marvel are trying to do is alter the players by putting women on the football team,and a male coach, Nick Fury. They think this will make the game just as exciting and the men will keep watching the sport. Then like magic, more women will start liking football because there are women kickers and quarterbacks?? Barely anyone watches the WNBA, because it's not fun to watch, and the women are definitely not buying tickets.

Last edited:
I’m not saying the movie is a classic. It’s a lowbrow MCU popcorn flick.

Post-Credits ‘Marvels’ Scene Teases Better Film That Actors Could’ve Been In If MCU Didn’t Exist

I just don’t get why it’s being accused here of being “woke”
I think the term "woke" might be coming from the ongoing Disney agenda that gave us this movie. The dialogue and plot of the movie were not woke.

The so called woke agenda has been the notion that comic books were too male and to white. Disney doesn't like male and white, because it's not diverse, inclusive and equitable. They wanted to force change to make Marvel more female, less male and less white. They decided they will do this and force the audience to like it. and then insult and intimidate the audience if it objects to killing off the white males and race and gender swapping all the white male characters.

Remember the slogan to evolve Star Wars: "the Force is Female."? They are striving to make Star Wars more centered around female characters, and obviously this will be the same with Marvel.

I hear that Fantastic Four is being filmed, and they plan on neutering Reid Richards (Mr Fantastic), like so many other great male comic heroes of the past, they can emasculate him into a feeble, buffoon of a simp, so Sue Storm can take over as the "strong female lead."

The so called woke agenda has been the notion that comic books were too male and to white. Disney doesn't like male and white, because it's not diverse, inclusive and equitable. They wanted to force change to make Marvel more female, less male and less white. They decided they will do this and force the audience to like it. and then insult and intimidate the audience if it objects to killing off the white males and race and gender swapping all the white male characters.
But the vast majority of heroes in Marvel movies ARE white males already.

How is adding a few movies about black and/or female heroes “woke”?

I was an avid comic book reader, and Carol Danvers and Monica Rambeau are very well established heroes in the Marvel cannon. They’ve been major players since before I was born.

The young girl, Kamala or whatever, was created after I stopped reading comics, but even she’s been around for at least a decade now.

People act like Marvel or “Disney” created these characters or just pulled them out of their ass, but that’s not the case. They were created long before Disney had anything to do with Marvel.

But the vast majority of heroes in Marvel movies ARE white males already.

Yes, we know, but this is what infuriates the DEI wokesters at Disney. They do not stop for a moment and comprehend that the reason Marvel is mostly male, is because Disney bought a $22 billion comic book franchise that was built because nerdy men were writing comic books that mostly other nerdy men and boys bought. It's like buying a hockey team and being upset that the palyers and fans are mostly all male. Go do something else if you want to go on a mission to crush the patriarchy.
How is adding a few movies about black and/or female heroes “woke”?

I was an avid comic book reader, and Carol Danvers and Monica Rambeau are very well established heroes in the Marvel cannon. They’ve been major players since before I was born.

The young girl, Kamala or whatever, was created after I stopped reading comics, but even she’s been around for at least a decade now.

People act like Marvel or “Disney” created these characters or just pulled them out of their ass, but that’s not the case. They were created long before Disney had anything to do with Marvel.
Once again, adding a few female characters is not woke. What is woke, is if you are transforming a predominately male franchise into a mostly female franchise, because it does not fit into your DEI agenda. The execs at the MCU cannot stand that Marvel was built from the mostly male fanbase. There is nothing wrong with that. People are free to like whatever they like, and go into whatever form of enteratinmaent they like.

If a certain sector of the population dominate one entertainment franchise. No one needs to change it to make it fit the DEI template. The NBA is populated by mostly black men. MLB is populated by mostly Hispanic men. Hockey is populated by mostly white men. There is nothing wrong with that. It would be woke to take over a hockey team and start changing the rosters so that it's 50% women, and implementing racial and LGBTQ+ quotas.

Monica Rambeau was never popular, she was always an obscure character. I do not remember her ever having her own comic, but if she ever did it was very short lived, because she's not an interesting character.

As I said before, throughout the comic book industry's history, they have been trying to find the secret formula to draw in female customers. I think Monica Rambeau was just one of those attempts.

Disney‘s Marvel Cinematic Universe is no longer a bulletproof box office franchise.

That much is clear after “The Marvels” misfired with $47 million in its opening weekend to land the worst debut in MCU history. Initial tracking was closer to $75 million to $80 million, but those projections shrank dramatically in recent weeks to $60 million to $65 million. With bad buzz and actors like Brie Larson unable to promote the film due to the SAG strike (which finally ended on Friday), “The Marvels” didn’t even match those disappointing estimates and became the MCU’s rare flop.

Only two other films in the sprawling series (“The Marvels” is the 33rd installment in 15 years) have opened to lower than $60 million: 2008’s “The Incredible Hulk” with $55.4 million and 2015’s “Ant-Man” with $57.2 million, not adjusted for inflation. Although the MCU has been showing rare signs of wear and tear in its Spandex, the franchise’s other two big-screen adventures to open this year, February’s “Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania” ($106 million) and May’s “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” ($118 million), still managed to hit triple digits in their respective debuts.

“The Marvels” also fell short of expectations at the international box office with $63.3 million from 51 territories for a worldwide start of $110 million. Disney had hoped to generate at least $140 million globally over the weekend.

“The Marvels” turnout (or lack thereof) is surprising because the passionate MCU fanbase has turned even less-embraced installments into box-office winners. Audiences flat-out rejected “The Marvels,” so it’ll struggle to rebound as the holiday season heats up with “The Hunger Games” prequel “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes,” Disney’s animated “Wish” and other family-friendly films in the coming weeks. That’s a problem because these comic book tentpoles don’t come cheap; “The Marvels” cost $220 million to produce and roughly $100 million to promote the film to audiences across the globe.

“This is an unprecedented Marvel box office collapse,” says David A. Gross, who runs the movie consulting firm Franchise Entertainment Research. “The strikes hurt the film’s marketing, but that’s not what’s driving these numbers.”

Box Office: ‘The Marvels’ Misfires With $47 Million, Lowest MCU Opening Weekend of All Time

Marvels was a stupid concept, the white chick (Bre Larson) is unlikable, the diversity hires they crammed in for extra diversity made it much worse, totally unwatchable for me.

The normals are getting tired of all of the woke crap being force-fed to everyone constantly. Disney is still fighting hard to ignore that.

Sigh, I wonder which golden goose Disney will buy for the slaughter next.

Good, maybe you and the other adult comic book fans will go to better movies and incentivize Hollywood to start making real movies again.

Forum List

Back