Price Is No Longer an Obstacle to Clean Power

Not having reliable power and shutting down what was is really dumb.

And your dumbest for seeing their failure and want to double down on their stupid
Whose failure? The Russians didn't take down the German's windmills or solar panels. They took down their natural gas plants. If Germany had completed their transition they could have told Russia to go suck eggs.

Whose failure? The Russians didn't take down the German's windmills or solar panels. They took down their natural gas plants. If Germany had completed their transition they could have told Russia to go suck eggs.
Germany really blew the pooch!

Yes, they should have gotten more windmills up. But who knew Putin was an imperialistic madman or that Biden and Zelensky would kick his ass?

Maybe more windmills and restarting every one of their old nuke plants?
Unreliable power is almost worse than no power at all.

Yes, they should have gotten more windmills up. But who knew Putin was an imperialistic madman or that Biden and Zelensky would kick his ass?

Why did Putin keep Germany from putting up more unreliable windmills exactly?

Is he their chancellor?

Fine by me

How many instances can you tell us about of Americans losing their power because their utility went overboard on wind and solar?

Fine by me

Talk to the Germans. Their free fuel is killing their poor.

How many instances can you tell us about of Americans losing their power because their utility went overboard on wind and solar?

Pretty much every brown out and black out in California.
And don't get me started on their wildfires.

Fine by me

Talk to the Germans. Their free fuel is killing their poor.

Pretty much every brown out and black out in California.
And don't get me started on their wildfires.
How about a few links Todd?

So, solar power wanes towards the end of the day - completely predictable and natural gas plants simply broke down in the face of record demand. And yet the system held through an all time record demand.
How is turning power off is holding up?

So, solar power wanes towards the end of the day - completely predictable and natural gas plants simply broke down in the face of record demand. And yet the system held through an all time record demand.

So, solar power wanes towards the end of the day - completely predictable

And sometimes, during the middle of the day. Sometimes for days at a time.
Makes it difficult to have a steady supply of power 24/7.

So, solar power wanes towards the end of the day - completely predictable

And sometimes, during the middle of the day. Sometimes for days at a time.
Makes it difficult to have a steady supply of power 24/7.
Have you seen these things they call "weather forecasts"?

Price Is No Longer an Obstacle to Clean Power
Peter R. Orszag
Bloomberg
September 22, 2020

"...Geoffrey Heal of Columbia University showing that it would cost only $6 billion a year for the U.S. to move to carbon-free electricity generation by 2050.​
Even if the precise numbers are off, Heal is right to emphasize that the transition to cleaner energy is much less costly today than it used to be. Three forces are changing the math.​
First, renewable power costs are dropping so fast, both utility-scale solar and onshore wind power have become cheaper than natural gas or coal power, as Lazard’s levelized-cost-of-energy estimates from 2019 show. As I wrote when these numbers came out, multiple forces have driven costs down, including ongoing improvements in technology and lower capital costs. (In November, Lazard will have updated estimates of the cost of various energy technologies.)​
Second, the cost of storing renewable energy is also falling. The challenge with wind and solar energy is that they are intermittent, so they require either supplemental conventional power, such as combined-cycle natural gas, or enough storage to smooth the variation relative to demand. As storage becomes more affordable than supplementation, the share of energy production based solely on renewable power can expand.​
.....​
Third, and crucially, many power plants are nearing the end of their useful lives and need to be replaced one way or another. That means the cost of building new facilities is a given, and shouldn’t be counted as a cost of the transition to lower-carbon electricity. ...
[......]​

`​
/———/ WE’RE ALL GONNA DIE UNLESS WE GIVE UP OUR CREATURE COMFORTS AND EAT BUGS FOR LUNCH ALERT #657

Forum List

Back