Pregnant librarian shot dead. Self Defense?

Again, perhaps she felt like he could have kicked in the door before the police got there. It's possible she never intended to shoot but to scare them.

I just don't get how you can follow someone to their house like that, and then shoot them because they pointed a gun, then call it self defense. They shouldn't have gone to her house. Again, and I'm just assuming here because I don't know, but, if she had no idea she hit their bike, then to her, its some angry guy on a motorcycle following her to her house. She has no ide what his intentions are, and if he has a gun.

I just don't think this is an open and shut case. It's going to be a hard case to try because there is nobody who can tell her side of the story, there is only his side, and he's the one who shot her.

If they didn't set foot on her property, she had no cause to point a gun at them...especially since she was already in her home...a much safer place to be instead of exposing herself by walking outside......

This was self defense in response to a bad mistake made by the woman.

If they didn't set foot on her property, she had no cause to point a gun at them...especially since she was already in her home...a much safer place to be instead of exposing herself by walking outside......

This was self defense in response to a bad mistake made by the woman.
I guess I can see that, granted, we don't know the story from her perspective. Again, was she scared that these people (because we know from the article that it was more than just Derr, but a couple of people showed up at her house).

So, if you have 2 or 3 people screaming at you on the road, and they follow her home, and from the looks of the body cam footage, she doesn't exactly live in the city. Looks to be a rural area. In her eyes, police could have taken too long to get there if these guys intend to harm her.

The tweet from the investigator says she intentionally hit his bike. Well, OK, there's that. Again, she can't tell her story. Also, in the body cam footage, it's just derr at the scene. The other 2 witnesses left. Why? Why are witnesses going to leave the scene of the shooting.

Again, it's going to be a hard case to go through court. Looking at the footage of the body cam, she has a pretty big front yard, it's entirely possible that derr WAS approaching her house, and ON her property when she came outside with a gun.

How do you try this in court? If the other witnesses left before the shooting, then its only his word, if they were there when the shooting happened, then why did they leave? Did derr know the witnesses? If not, unless there is a street camera, we may never know who they were and what they have to tell.

You are not wrong, I'm just saying that there is more here than needs to be told, and we only get one side.

Those witnesses will need to be found, and an investigation need to be completed.

I guess I can see that, granted, we don't know the story from her perspective. Again, was she scared that these people (because we know from the article that it was more than just Derr, but a couple of people showed up at her house).

So, if you have 2 or 3 people screaming at you on the road, and they follow her home, and from the looks of the body cam footage, she doesn't exactly live in the city. Looks to be a rural area. In her eyes, police could have taken too long to get there if these guys intend to harm her.

The tweet from the investigator says she intentionally hit his bike. Well, OK, there's that. Again, she can't tell her story. Also, in the body cam footage, it's just derr at the scene. The other 2 witnesses left. Why? Why are witnesses going to leave the scene of the shooting.

Again, it's going to be a hard case to go through court. Looking at the footage of the body cam, she has a pretty big front yard, it's entirely possible that derr WAS approaching her house, and ON her property when she came outside with a gun.

How do you try this in court? If the other witnesses left before the shooting, then its only his word, if they were there when the shooting happened, then why did they leave? Did derr know the witnesses? If not, unless there is a street camera, we may never know who they were and what they have to tell.

You are not wrong, I'm just saying that there is more here than needs to be told, and we only get one side.

Those witnesses will need to be found, and an investigation need to be completed.

If he was on her property and approaching the house, then it wasn't really self defense...but all we have is that they were waiting for the police when she came out of her home and pointed a gun at them.....from those facts, if they are facts, she was in the wrong.

Again, perhaps she felt like he could have kicked in the door before the police got there. It's possible she never intended to shoot but to scare them.

I just don't get how you can follow someone to their house like that, and then shoot them because they pointed a gun, then call it self defense. They shouldn't have gone to her house. Again, and I'm just assuming here because I don't know, but, if she had no idea she hit their bike, then to her, its some angry guy on a motorcycle following her to her house. She has no ide what his intentions are, and if he has a gun.

I just don't think this is an open and shut case. It's going to be a hard case to try because there is nobody who can tell her side of the story, there is only his side, and he's the one who shot her.

Why didnt she call the cops from her vehicle?
Or since she had a gun wait inside with it and call the cops.
That she went out and confronted them with a gun was pure stupidity.

All good questions.

She might've been at fault and she fled the scene.

The biker guys might've scared her and she didn't want to talk to them.

Who knows?

If he was on her property and approaching the house, then it wasn't really self defense...but all we have is that they were waiting for the police when she came out of her home and pointed a gun at them.....from those facts, if they are facts, she was in the wrong.
I'll agree with that. I still say it's going to be a hard case for court if those other witnesses can't be found, or if they had left before the shooting.

Good questions and we will have to wait. It's just not a good situation because, right now, we only have his word.

It isnt self-defence in any way. He and his mates followed her home. She must have been terrified.
He had plenty of options and just wanted to use his gun.

He should go to jail .
Incorrect, she had every opportunity to deal with the issue in the correct manner but at the end she brought a gun out and got killed.

She left the scene of a accident without giving any information.

She did not call the police while at the accident, driving home or when she got home.

She came out with the gun and pointed it at the other person and was shot dead.

You can not do all she did without something happening and she broke so many laws that she would have been arrested had she not been killed…

Would you have shot her dead?

I don't think I would've. I would've put my hands up and told her that I'm calling the cops.
How would you call the cops with your hands in the air and her pointing a firearm at you?

She was clearly in the wrong and you want to blame the guy for her deadly mistake…

Don’t point a firearm unless you are willing to fire and kill…

This whole situation would look ridiculous hadn't it caused death. It seems this incident started when lane changing went wrong. Some of them didn't want to lower speed a bit and give a way to the other.

This minor incident resulted in death of a woman, her unborn baby, and made a child grow without mother.

It is far not the first time when I read about minor road incidents cause bad consequences. I wonder when people realize they are humans, not a bunch of apes.

You all are some stone-cold killers.

Why not just let her go?
If some one points a gun at me the next thing they may do is pull the trigger.

I have had firearms pointed at me several time in my life but I was never armed. You do tend to remember such incidents. When a gun is pointed at you the hole in the barrel looks ENORMOUS. I became very polite.

If someone were to draw down on me when I am armed I would likely fear for my life or health and move to cover (if possible) while drawing my own weapon. If they haven’t started shooting at me at that point I might try to convince them to lower their weapon (especially if I made it behind cover). If they struck me as extremely angry, insane or high on drugs I might shoot first.

If someone were to draw down on me when I am armed I would likely fear for my life or health and move to cover (if possible) while drawing my own weapon. If they haven’t started shooting at me at that point I might try to convince them to lower their weapon (especially if I made it behind cover). If they struck me as extremely angry, insane or high on drugs I might shoot first
Neither of that happened it seems. I think the guy just draw his gun and shot at her while she didn't manage to pull the trigger (maybe because she never intended to do).

So he knew she was a librarian?

She was the aggressor, and then she then took off. They followed her and then she retrieved a gun and pointed it at them

She chose bad choices.
Hmmmm........followed like the guy jogging was followed. Then he shot her when she was on her own property. She was armed...there's that.

Was she library profiled??? Did he have an overdue book???????

Hmmm; leave it up to a court.

Greg

What we do know is he called the cops and she didnt.
Why didnt she? Maybe because she knew she'd committed a crime?
Morales also called 911, telling a dispatcher she was being threatened by aggressive men.

'You’re three men. You followed me. Leave me alone,' Morales is heard screaming on the call that was released by the authorities.

Greg

Forum List

Back