Pregnant librarian shot dead. Self Defense?

A case of road rage in Central Florida left one of the motorists, a mother-to-be, dead last Saturday evening.

According to the Orange City Police Department, the incident began around 5 p.m. Nov. 20 when Sara Nicole Morales, 35, hit Andrew Derr’s motorcycle with her blue Kia. It is unclear why she hit his bike.

Though Derr was not injured or ejected in the “minor accident,” he said he followed Morales to get her information for law enforcement after she drove away from the scene, according to investigators.

Derr, along with two witnesses, verbally attempted to have Morales stop at the intersection while she was making a left turn, but she refused, says a social media release.

Morales drove to her home and went inside. Derr and the witnesses followed her. They stopped in the roadway in front of her home and called 911, say investigators. Morales re-emerged a short time later with a firearm and pointed it at them, continues the post.

Derr, who has a valid Florida concealed weapons permit, drew his concealed handgun and fired, striking Morales “multiple times.”

The motorcyclist remained on scene, where Orange City Fire Rescue responded to provide medical care. Morales was transported to a local hospital where she died from her injuries.

The woman, a Volusia County librarian, was reportedly four to five months pregnant and leaves behind an 11-year-old daughter and a fiancé.

As of Wednesday, no one had been charged in this case, though police say an investigation is ongoing.

In newly released bodycam video, Derr can be seen on the ground.

“That girl tried to kill me,” he says. “She pointed a gun at me. I’m so sorry.”

Pregnant woman hits motorcycle guy in a minor accident with her Kia. The bike didn't even fall over.

Woman flees scene of the accident. Guy on bike follows her.

Woman goes into house, comes out with a gun.

Man shoots her dead.

Self defense?

Based on the facts as presented, yes. But those facts would need to be verified.

A case of road rage in Central Florida left one of the motorists, a mother-to-be, dead last Saturday evening.

According to the Orange City Police Department, the incident began around 5 p.m. Nov. 20 when Sara Nicole Morales, 35, hit Andrew Derr’s motorcycle with her blue Kia. It is unclear why she hit his bike.

Though Derr was not injured or ejected in the “minor accident,” he said he followed Morales to get her information for law enforcement after she drove away from the scene, according to investigators.

Derr, along with two witnesses, verbally attempted to have Morales stop at the intersection while she was making a left turn, but she refused, says a social media release.

Morales drove to her home and went inside. Derr and the witnesses followed her. They stopped in the roadway in front of her home and called 911, say investigators. Morales re-emerged a short time later with a firearm and pointed it at them, continues the post.

Derr, who has a valid Florida concealed weapons permit, drew his concealed handgun and fired, striking Morales “multiple times.”

The motorcyclist remained on scene, where Orange City Fire Rescue responded to provide medical care. Morales was transported to a local hospital where she died from her injuries.

The woman, a Volusia County librarian, was reportedly four to five months pregnant and leaves behind an 11-year-old daughter and a fiancé.

As of Wednesday, no one had been charged in this case, though police say an investigation is ongoing.

Pregnant woman hits motorcycle guy in a minor accident with her Kia. The bike didn't even fall over.

Man shoots her dead.

Self defense?
Is someone obsessed?

Well, I'll try to follow this case and post updates. Probably be a couple of months before the verdict is in.

I wouldn't be surprised if the guy walks.

I say no, not self defense. The article says the contact between the car and the bike was minor. It's possible that the woman didn't even know she hit the bike. Then, as the article says that the guy on the bike starts to follow her and trying to get her to pull over. From her point of view, it could be a guy on a motorcycle racing up beside her and yelling at her. She may not know what he's up to, if she didn't know she even hit his bike.

Then this "crazy guy on a motorcycle" shows up outside her home. She gets scared and gets her gun.

I don't know....if I see someone screaming at me on the road and shows up at my house...I'm probably looking at protection too...

Maybe she should have locked the doors and called the police, maybe she lived alone with her daughter and didn't think the police would get there in time before this crazy guy broke the door down. Maybe her intent was to get him to leave by showing him she had a gun.

Just my opinion, even though she can't tell it, she has a point of view too.

Man shoots her dead.

Self defense?

Yes.

Too damn many guns.

No....too many criminals......

Criminals kill 10,258 people in 2019....70-80% of the victims are criminals, not normal people...this sort of shooting is so rare that it is silly for you fascists to attempt to use it as a reason for gun control.....

Meanwhile.....the democrat party releases...over and over again, known, violent actual criminals who can't legally buy, own or carry guns....and it is these criminals who do almost all of the gun murder in this country..

We don't need gun control...we need the democrat party to stop releasing criminals.

I say no, not self defense. The article says the contact between the car and the bike was minor. It's possible that the woman didn't even know she hit the bike. Then, as the article says that the guy on the bike starts to follow her and trying to get her to pull over. From her point of view, it could be a guy on a motorcycle racing up beside her and yelling at her. She may not know what he's up to, if she didn't know she even hit his bike.

Then this "crazy guy on a motorcycle" shows up outside her home. She gets scared and gets her gun.

I don't know....if I see someone screaming at me on the road and shows up at my house...I'm probably looking at protection too...

Maybe she should have locked the doors and called the police, maybe she lived alone with her daughter and didn't think the police would get there in time before this crazy guy broke the door down. Maybe her intent was to get him to leave by showing him she had a gun.

Just my opinion, even though she can't tell it, she has a point of view too.

Why didn't she stay in her house and call the police?

Her mistake was leaving the house and pointing the gun.....it was a bad mistake on her part........but self defense on his part.

Her legal representative on the prosecution will surely claim that they were hunting her down. It should have never escalated past calling the police.

I'm only telling you people how the law would handle this case in Canada and I realize America needs traffic accidents to end in death by gun. We have nothing to debate.

This is likely the first of many when or if it goes unpunished.

Yeah....except when it doesn't happen that way in Canada...

Nobody was injured after a shooting in a suspected road rage incident in North York Saturday afternoon, police say

70c8fc80

Toronto police said they were called to the area of Lawrence Avenue and The Bridle Path at 2:45 p.m. for a shooting.

Two individuals got into an argument while in their respective cars, investigators say, when one of the individuals fired shots from their vehicle into the rear of the other.

They said there were two young children in the car that was shot: a 12-year-old and a two -year-old.

Consider the following:

April 18, 2021 : In Walkerville, Ontario, Windsor police arrest a man after a road rage incident led to him pulling a gun on another driver around 6 pm. The 34-year-old was charged with among other things, pointing a firearm, threatening to use a weapon, possession of a handgun for a purpose dangerous to public peace.
---

March 8, 2021 : “ Waterloo regional police say a man allegedly brandished a gun during a road rage incident in Woolwich Township .” An individual was subsequently charged with possessing two loaded handguns, ammunition, and two long guns. A 45-year-old man was charged with multiple firearm and criminal code offences. This happened at 10:30 in the morning.

July 11, 2020 : “ At least one bullet was fired in what Barrie Police describe as an act of road rage.” The bullet hit the trunk of a vehicle. This happened at 9 pm at the height of the summer season.

May 11, 2019 : In 22 years on the job, the attending police officer had seen nothing like it. “A shooting on the roadway, the victim and suspect not known to each other.” What happened? “ On a sunny spring afternoon earlier this year, a young man was driving down a residential street in London, Ontario, when a car pulled up beside him at a stop sign. The driver, a complete stranger, pulled out a gun and shot him in the face, police say.” The victim, 21, had a bruised cheek, shattered teeth, and two fractured vertebrae. Before the attack, the victim said he encountered a 2014 white Chevrolet Cruz “driving fast, erratically and aggressively,” police said. In response, the young man made a gesture – he held up his middle finger according to local media reports – and kept driving. That’s when police say the Cruze pulled alongside his car, and the driver fired the shot.”

It isnt self-defence in any way. He and his mates followed her home. She must have been terrified.
He had plenty of options and just wanted to use his gun.

He should go to jail .

Shit head....she should have simply stayed in her house and called the police herself.....you moron.......

She walked out and pointed a gun at him....you doofus....

Why didn't she stay in her house and call the police?

Her mistake was leaving the house and pointing the gun.....it was a bad mistake on her part........but self defense on his part.
Again, perhaps she felt like he could have kicked in the door before the police got there. It's possible she never intended to shoot but to scare them.

I just don't get how you can follow someone to their house like that, and then shoot them because they pointed a gun, then call it self defense. They shouldn't have gone to her house. Again, and I'm just assuming here because I don't know, but, if she had no idea she hit their bike, then to her, its some angry guy on a motorcycle following her to her house. She has no ide what his intentions are, and if he has a gun.

I just don't think this is an open and shut case. It's going to be a hard case to try because there is nobody who can tell her side of the story, there is only his side, and he's the one who shot her.

Forum List

Back