Pregnant librarian shot dead. Self Defense?

Otis Mayfield

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2021
A case of road rage in Central Florida left one of the motorists, a mother-to-be, dead last Saturday evening.

According to the Orange City Police Department, the incident began around 5 p.m. Nov. 20 when Sara Nicole Morales, 35, hit Andrew Derr’s motorcycle with her blue Kia. It is unclear why she hit his bike.

Though Derr was not injured or ejected in the “minor accident,” he said he followed Morales to get her information for law enforcement after she drove away from the scene, according to investigators.

Derr, along with two witnesses, verbally attempted to have Morales stop at the intersection while she was making a left turn, but she refused, says a social media release.

Morales drove to her home and went inside. Derr and the witnesses followed her. They stopped in the roadway in front of her home and called 911, say investigators. Morales re-emerged a short time later with a firearm and pointed it at them, continues the post.

Derr, who has a valid Florida concealed weapons permit, drew his concealed handgun and fired, striking Morales “multiple times.”

The motorcyclist remained on scene, where Orange City Fire Rescue responded to provide medical care. Morales was transported to a local hospital where she died from her injuries.

The woman, a Volusia County librarian, was reportedly four to five months pregnant and leaves behind an 11-year-old daughter and a fiancé.

As of Wednesday, no one had been charged in this case, though police say an investigation is ongoing.

In newly released bodycam video, Derr can be seen on the ground.

“That girl tried to kill me,” he says. “She pointed a gun at me. I’m so sorry.”

Pregnant woman hits motorcycle guy in a minor accident with her Kia. The bike didn't even fall over.

Woman flees scene of the accident. Guy on bike follows her.

Woman goes into house, comes out with a gun.

Man shoots her dead.

Self defense?

Yes, self defense.

It was a hit and run, a misdemeanor at least, a felony at most. It's illegal. Motorcycles are expensive, and if you can get insurance to cover bent parts or messed up paintwork, by all means you should get the drivers info.

A call to 911 wouldn't have done much, because 9/10 unless you got the license plate no. or video, you can't do much about it, so following is an option. Stupid? Yes.

But the kicker is when she comes out with a gun and points it at people. That's the big no-no. That is a justified reason to fire back if you think your life is in danger. It's just a big unfortunate fuck up.

Yes, self defense.

It was a hit and run, a misdemeanor at least, a felony at most. It's illegal. Motorcycles are expensive, and if you can get insurance to cover bent parts or messed up paintwork, by all means you should get the drivers info.

A call to 911 wouldn't have done much, because 9/10 unless you got the license plate no. or video, you can't do much about it, so following is an option. Stupid? Yes.

But the kicker is when she comes out with a gun and points it at people. That's the big no-no. That is a justified reason to fire back if you think your life is in danger. It's just a big unfortunate fuck up.

I would've got her plate and car and her with my phone camera.

I wouldn't have shot her. I would've put my hands up. Odds are a librarian isn't going to pull the trigger.

As long as he didn't attempt to lay hands on her or step onto her property, then yes, he was justified to fire on her. She shouldn't have gone outside with a gun.

I would have taken the license plate number down as well as the address of the residence she went into, drove down the block then contact the police & report a hit & run. Human life once dead can not be repaired.

I wouldn't have shot her. I would've put my hands up. Odds are a librarian isn't going to pull the trigger.

So he knew she was a librarian?

She was the aggressor, and then she then took off. They followed her and then she retrieved a gun and pointed it at them

She chose bad choices.

The "two witnesses" smell bad. "witnesses" don't follow along with you and then hand outside the person's house with you.

Your fellow motorcycle buddies do that.

Not stopping is not always "hit and run" because that is a tactic used by robbers to get people to stop their cars.

The woman should have called 9-11 instead of going out of the house with her gun.

And did she tell them she was a librarian before she pointed her gun at them? Do librarians often hit and run or was this librarian nuts?
I wouldn't be asking for her credentials. Point a gun at me and get shot before you can shoot first. I'm funny about my life that way...

A case of road rage in Central Florida left one of the motorists, a mother-to-be, dead last Saturday evening.

According to the Orange City Police Department, the incident began around 5 p.m. Nov. 20 when Sara Nicole Morales, 35, hit Andrew Derr’s motorcycle with her blue Kia. It is unclear why she hit his bike.

Though Derr was not injured or ejected in the “minor accident,” he said he followed Morales to get her information for law enforcement after she drove away from the scene, according to investigators.

Derr, along with two witnesses, verbally attempted to have Morales stop at the intersection while she was making a left turn, but she refused, says a social media release.

Morales drove to her home and went inside. Derr and the witnesses followed her. They stopped in the roadway in front of her home and called 911, say investigators. Morales re-emerged a short time later with a firearm and pointed it at them, continues the post.

Derr, who has a valid Florida concealed weapons permit, drew his concealed handgun and fired, striking Morales “multiple times.”

The motorcyclist remained on scene, where Orange City Fire Rescue responded to provide medical care. Morales was transported to a local hospital where she died from her injuries.

The woman, a Volusia County librarian, was reportedly four to five months pregnant and leaves behind an 11-year-old daughter and a fiancé.

As of Wednesday, no one had been charged in this case, though police say an investigation is ongoing.

Pregnant woman hits motorcycle guy in a minor accident with her Kia. The bike didn't even fall over.

Man shoots her dead.

Self defense?
Too damn many guns.

Looks like self defense. She made the threat first. Always know where the nearest police station is. If you are threatened or followed go there. Never go home.

The "two witnesses" smell bad. "witnesses" don't follow along with you and then hand outside the person's house with you.

Your fellow motorcycle buddies do that.

Not stopping is not always "hit and run" because that is a tactic used by robbers to get people to stop their cars.

The woman should have called 9-11 instead of going out of the house with her gun.
Given how he subsequently behaved, I suspect he and his buddies were probably pretty aggressive after she hit him. As a woman, I can see how frightening it be to be followed home like, in fact I’d be freaked out. I had something kind of similar happen. I was driving in Pittsburgh, was lost, accidentally cut a guy off (no one got hit, no accident). He followed me, tried to cut me off several times, I kept driving until I found a place that other people around and pulled into the parking lot. He came up next to me yelling and swearing at me. I apologized and explained I was lost but he just kept on. I left and he followed me. It was absolutely freaky.

Man shoots her dead.

Self defense?
If what the post says is the truth, it sounds like it.

Forum List

Back