Polio VS Corona

I grew up in the late 50's early sixties. Polio. It was scary and much worse. The economy wasn't shut down then, why this hysteria NOW?

Aids vs. Corona is an interesting contrast.

Corona is supposed to be transmitted by casual contact, so to stop it they order the whole population to lock-down.

Aids was determined to be caused by taking it in the caboose, yet no one even thought to ask the gay community to quit with the sodomy until the matter was resolved- even though aids is a lot scarier than corona.

Ergo, there will be changes just as radical as the panic allows certain factions to push their agendas

~S~

I grew up in the late 50's early sixties. Polio. It was scary and much worse. The economy wasn't shut down then, why this hysteria NOW?
No, it wasn’t.

The polio vaccine was successfully tested in 1953.

If you grew up during the late 50s, you grew up in an America absent the threat of polio.

That’s why.

Nope. As I recall the superior Sabin vaccine was universally administered around 1963-64. I remember lining up at the local middle school. There was still a level of danger at the time.

If you grew up in the late '50s you already had a vaccine for polio. Its last wave was around 1952, when Joni Mitchell and Neil Young contracted it.
I knew kids in the mid sixties that had polio, well after the vaccine was introduced. But you overlooked the point...the world economy didn't melt down, people didn't shelter in place. What the hell is going on here?
The fight against measles would be a better comparison. There were very strict quarantines with that one.
far more contagious iirc.....
~S~
Measles is the most contageous disease known to man. They used to go to your house and nail the door shut for 10 days.

Not in Ohio they didn't. I had the measles back in 1963, and I just stayed home from school for a couple weeks. I had both the regular kind as well as the German measles- although they never complained about anti-Teuton prejudice when their nationality was associated with a disease.

I am not a health care professional. But I have been around the block. Polio was way worse. It crippled and it went on for years and EVEN our president had it. Somehow, we survived. Lock downs are not necessary.
Polio is a disease that has been known since prehistory. Nothing novel about it. People knew when and where there was a risk of getting it (summer, swimming holes) and how to treat it.

Corona worries the experts because it was unknown and mutates at a frightening rate. If not controlled it could come back year after year with a very good chance of becoming a mass killer.

I am not a health care professional. But I have been around the block. Polio was way worse. It crippled and it went on for years and EVEN our president had it. Somehow, we survived. Lock downs are not necessary.
Polio is a disease that has been known since prehistory. Nothing novel about it. People knew when and where there was a risk of getting it (summer, swimming holes) and how to treat it.

Corona worries the experts because it was unknown and mutates at a frightening rate. If not controlled it could come back year after year with a very good chance of becoming a mass killer.

So what's Sleepy Joe's plan in regards to Coronavirus if he gets in? Destroy the economy? Keep the people locked down for decades if needed?

How will that allow enough resources to actually cure and resolve the matter ever? Or other crisis that are going to be coming down the pike?

So what's Sleepy Joe's plan in regards to Coronavirus if he gets in? Destroy the economy? Keep the people locked down for decades if needed?

How will that allow enough resources to actually cure and resolve the matter ever? Or other crisis that are going to be coming down the pike?
Shit will be gone by winter if proper steps are taken and hospitals hold up. Half the problem we are having is that Trump appointed toadies to important public health posts and then decided that the experts were full of shit. Biden would do what all democratic presidents do, hire and appoint people who know what they are doing and then take their advice.

You hit the nail on the head..

Bravo this is why I keep coming back here.

The dark side wants social distancing ..

He wants to divide us and not love each other..

You got it ..

Corona is basically the Flu. It's way more infectious granted. Polio is worse, it randomly robs you of your ability to breath or walk...it hung over our heads for years and we didn't shutdown the economy waiting for a cure.
Different times, different diseases, different control strategies. If you don't get it by now you are not ever going to get it. Just go on believing it's all a plot against Trump and go back to watching your reality shows.

Shit will be gone by winter if proper steps are taken and hospitals hold up. Half the problem we are having is that Trump appointed toadies to important public health posts and then decided that the experts were full of shit. Biden would do what all democratic presidents do, hire and appoint people who know what they are doing and then take their advice.

I doubt that President Trump will keep the economy locked down until after next winter. Such a move would plunge America into depression that will make the Roosevelt Depression look like a Sunday School picnic.

In 1950 how would you get panicked? There was actual news then and polio was not a medical disaster. I remember the iron lungs with a person inside. My neighbor had a son who had polio and walked with a limp. Some people got over polio with time.

Corona is basically the Flu. It's way more infectious granted. Polio is worse, it randomly robs you of your ability to breath or walk...it hung over our heads for years and we didn't shutdown the economy waiting for a cure.
"Corona is basically the Flu."

Wrong.

Its like the flu in the sense its a mild viral respiratory disease that sometimes gets serious and can cause pneumonia and even death from time to time.

Wrong.

Its like the flu in the sense its a mild viral respiratory disease that sometimes gets serious and can cause pneumonia and even death from time to time.
Unlike the flu it severely taxes the health care system to treat those who are severely afflicted. Conservatives seem to keep ignoring this fact. Let them die?

Riddle me this...........1957.........1968...........what happened and the world didn't shut down.

:disbelief:

Wrong.

Unlike polio that could do immense harm, Corona gives you sniffles and fever for a few days. But even the common flu can kill elderly or those with preexisting health issues. I get the precautions, I wear masks at the grocery store.

No social media............only 3 channels.......Black and white TV.........No face plant.........no cell phones.......

And NO PANIC..............over 100,000 Americans died in those 2 years..............The country NEVER SHUT DOWN.

Incredible, I have no idea what was going on in 1960 overall. Politically. But we didn't shut down over it politically or business wise. Polio was way worse, kiddos. WAY WORSE.

If you grew up in the late '50s you already had a vaccine for polio. Its last wave was around 1952, when Joni Mitchell and Neil Young contracted it.
I knew kids in the mid sixties that had polio, well after the vaccine was introduced. But you overlooked the point...the world economy didn't melt down, people didn't shelter in place. What the hell is going on here?

Once AGAIN it wasn't widespread, BY DEFINITION, because it had been suppressed by the vaccine.

This one --------- ISN'T. On the contrary it IS widespread, it IS disarmingly contagious and there ISN'T a vaccine.

Forum List

Back