Plastic bag ban, don't let this insanity happen to you

Wolfstrike

Gold Member
Jan 12, 2012
Los Angeles
California "banned" plastic bags.

The businesses were all onboard, because all it meant for them is they charge 10 cents per bag, now.

It was all well and good, until a couple years later California passed another law that said , "send that bag money up to us for taxes"

At first, people tried to do what they were supposed to, they bought reusable bags and brought them to the store.

Now, the checkers scan the crap, and just stand there. You bring your own bag, now they want YOU to bag it. It was worth the 10 cents to put their ass back to work.

You buy bags at the store and they ask you "How many bags you want?"..."i don't fkn know"

The latest chapter is, you buy a plastic bag and they throw it with all the other crap you bought, and expect YOU to bag it yourself. They're trying to eliminate the bag-boy jobs.

------------------------

Last week I go to the store, and I swear, some woman walked out with a 2' x 2' x 3' plastic bin with all her sht in it.

I go into the store, buy a bunch of stuff, the girl at the counter tells me "sorry we don't have ANY bags today"

I said "Well, it looks like i'm walking out with your handcart then"

(I should have stole it)

...and the funny part, California's "plastic bag ban" means plastic bags are 10 cents each.

I can't tell you how much I miss going to the store with no bag issues

the trade off does not seem worth it
Hurting business owners and its customers to help save the planet a tiny winy bit?

CA should ban tires next.....or tax the hell out of em......all they do is end up in landfills or tossed across the country side by lowlifes

We have something similar in D.C. People have taken to bringing their own "durable" shopping bags to the grocery store. Many places gave away such bags when the "ban" was announced. These days one may see people toting their groceries and whatnot in all sorts of bags and bag contraptions. People pretty much use whatever they have handy that will hold whatever they want to bring home. It's really not that burdensome.

Screen%20Shot%202012-05-09%20at%205.03.54%20PM.png

walmartreusablesisg_3.jpg

o-WOMEN-DESIGNER-BAGS-facebook.jpg

506367_ruho16_jh2720.jpg

04.png

9d5d6ac585b8f25333bb4d03022ddc74--vintage-travel-vintage-bag.jpg

o-BUYING-GUIDE-facebook.jpg

77b4cf0fced80d6813de00f1889358a8--handbags-michael-kors-mk-handbags.jpg

I lived in California for 7 or so years, up until about a month and a half ago. The "bag ban" never really bothered me - the paper bags were better for cleaning the cat's litter box, and I didn't mind the 10 cents.

I've been back on the east coast for a month and a half, and now I'm dumbfounded by people trying to bag everything I buy, at every store.

I don't need a bag for a pack of cigarettes, or a can of soda.

I lived in California for 7 or so years, up until about a month and a half ago. The "bag ban" never really bothered me - the paper bags were better for cleaning the cat's litter box, and I didn't mind the 10 cents.

I've been back on the east coast for a month and a half, and now I'm dumbfounded by people trying to bag everything I buy, at every store.

I don't need a bag for a pack of cigarettes, or a can of soda.
how much of an effect does this take on a business? I know bags are cheap but it does add up.
So I guess my question is "Does forcing business to do this outweigh the effect on the environment"

California "banned" plastic bags.

The businesses were all onboard, because all it meant for them is they charge 10 cents per bag, now.

It was all well and good, until a couple years later California passed another law that said , "send that bag money up to us for taxes"

At first, people tried to do what they were supposed to, they bought reusable bags and brought them to the store.

Now, the checkers scan the crap, and just stand there. You bring your own bag, now they want YOU to bag it. It was worth the 10 cents to put their ass back to work.

You buy bags at the store and they ask you "How many bags you want?"..."i don't fkn know"

The latest chapter is, you buy a plastic bag and they throw it with all the other crap you bought, and expect YOU to bag it yourself. They're trying to eliminate the bag-boy jobs.

------------------------

Last week I go to the store, and I swear, some woman walked out with a 2' x 2' x 3' plastic bin with all her sht in it.

I go into the store, buy a bunch of stuff, the girl at the counter tells me "sorry we don't have ANY bags today"

I said "Well, it looks like i'm walking out with your handcart then"

(I should have stole it)

...and the funny part, California's "plastic bag ban" means plastic bags are 10 cents each.

I can't tell you how much I miss going to the store with no bag issues
Liberals should be rounded up and dumped in to a Volcanoe to
Combat Global Warming.

They're mostly just BS. Another example is recycling glass, or so I hear. We use more energy to recycle than pulling out new, and supply is plenty.

It's as stupid as the light bulb ban.
Can still get my 100 watt incandescent bulbs, for freaking 9 bucks a 4 pack.
Hate the new bulbs in a cold garage.

You hate the old spiral bulbs. The new LED bulbs are cheap and almost magical. They work perfectly in your cold garage.

Even as a hardcore libertarian, a 2-cent/watt tax on incandescent bulbs seems reasonable, because so many people are just so damn stupid and won't move to massively better LEDs without a push. Yeah, an eight-dollar tax for being stupid and buying those 4-pack incandescent bulbs. I'm a libertarian, not an anarchist.

Don't care for the LED either. Its called personal choice and preference for certain light.
If you feel smarter for your choice, good for you.

Forum List

Back