Prior to the ban, 53 million pounds of plastic shopping bags were used in the Garden State, which has gone to...

It's a stupid question. Is there some law of nature that requires plastics be consumed?
It is only a stupid question to those who are ignorant fools.

Crick, you dont understand what a barrel of oil, is. If you have a little knowledge of oil you would understand the significance of my question.

If we do not make plastic bags what do we do with the plastic?

It is only a stupid question to those who are ignorant fools.

Crick, you dont understand what a barrel of oil, is. If you have a little knowledge of oil you would understand the significance of my question.

If we do not make plastic bags what do we do with the plastic?
I do know what a barrel of oil is.

Do you think that disposable bags are the only product made from polyethylene resin? Were you aware it is easily recyclable if in some form other than a 3 mil bag?

The reusable bags are also plastic; they use far more plastic and can only be used six or eight times before they wear out.

This is not really true, we have been using the same reusable bags for more than a year. They will last damn near forever if you do not fill with up with 100 lbs of stuff.

This is not really true, we have been using the same reusable bags for more than a year. They will last damn near forever if you do not fill with up with 100 lbs of stuff.
You know, the material from which single-use and reusable bags are made IS recyclable, easily recyclable. It is the same thing as milk and orange juice jugs. The problem is the thinness of the bags. They are not easily handled, frequently jam up the machinery and often end up too dirty to be taken. Perhaps that is what requires a solution. How about a dedicated machine in front of the grocery store dedicated to taking those bags and melting them into more easily handled formats. It could even make nurdles out of them.

The arguments here advocating for paper bags are quite convincing. Made from a renewable resource and fully recyclable. I wish they wouldn't bother putting handles on them though. They're rarely strong enough to trust.

You know, the material from which single-use and reusable bags are made IS recyclable, easily recyclable. It is the same thing as milk and orange juice jugs. The problem is the thinness of the bags. They are not easily handled, frequently jam up the machinery and often end up too dirty to be taken. Perhaps that is what requires a solution. How about a dedicated machine in front of the grocery store dedicated to taking those bags and melting them into more easily handled formats. It could even make nurdles out of them.

The arguments here advocating for paper bags are quite convincing. Made from a renewable resource and fully recyclable. I wish they wouldn't bother putting handles on them though. They're rarely strong enough to trust.

Paper bags are better, but around here either stores do not have them or you have to ask for the specifically.

Paper bags are better, but around here either stores do not have them or you have to ask for the specifically.
You mean "Paper or plastic?" I presume if single use are banned and you don't have reusables with you, they are going to use paper.

I do know what a barrel of oil is.
Do you think that disposable bags are the only product made from polyethylene resin? Were you aware it is easily recyclable if in some form other than a 3 mil bag?
no, you do not know what a barrel, you show zero knowledge when asked

disposable bags are being banned, plastic bottles are under attack, as far as I can see, the green-nuts are attacking everything

I imagine the only reason plastic is under attack, is they need all the ethylene in the world to build solar panels and wind turbines.

Ethylene is what comes from a barrel of oil. If we do not use it for plastic bags, we will have to burn it or throw it away as toxic waste

What does "reuse them a few times" mean? How much the reusable bags get reused is a critical point in the argument this article makes and it's a bit disturbning that it would be glossed over so blithely.

I've been reusing those bags for a couple years now and have only tossed the handful that have actually failed. What needs to be compared here is the number of reusable and nonreusable bags each person consumes and your article does not do so. The article covers nothing except the larger impact of the individual reusable bags. We are left with no way to judge whether or not that increased impact per bag is good or bad.
What fucking business is it of yours anyway?

I'm not calling for a ban on plastics but many americans are so repugnant dumb they willfully accept the chemicals in their food, water, and air because they ignorantly think it's not a problem.

I'm not calling for a ban on plastics but many americans are so repugnant dumb they willfully accept the chemicals in their food, water, and air because they ignorantly think it's not a problem.
Broadbrush.png

Highly refined carbs?....HFC?....seed oils?...salt?
Yep. But people are afraid to call out big companies. IlBig corporations are toxifying everything and every billionaire will defend them when they should be punished.

You mean "Paper or plastic?" I presume if single use are banned and you don't have reusables with you, they are going to use paper.

You have to ask for paper, single use is not banned, there is just a 10 cent per bag tax on them

Forum List

Back