Prior to the ban, 53 million pounds of plastic shopping bags were used in the Garden State, which has gone to...

Markle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 15, 2016
Tallahassee, FL
Well DUUUHHHHH! The do gooders seem to never, ever look forward as to what the consequencess will be of their well intentioned fantasies. Take their wisdom on converting everyone to electric vehicles... PLEASE!

New Jersey's Plastic Bag Ban Has Backfired

Leah Barkoukis | January 25, 2024 8:00 AM

[...]

Prior to the ban, 53 million pounds of plastic shopping bags were used in the Garden State, which has skyrocketed to 151 million pounds since the ban took effect.

Are we having fun yet?

Well DUUUHHHHH! The do gooders seem to never, ever look forward as to what the consequencess will be of their well intentioned fantasies. Take their wisdom on converting everyone to electric vehicles... PLEASE!

[...]

Prior to the ban, 53 million pounds of plastic shopping bags were used in the Garden State, which has skyrocketed to 151 million pounds since the ban took effect.

Are we having fun yet?
Are you a plastic bag manufacturer lobbyist?

What does "reuse them a few times" mean? How much the reusable bags get reused is a critical point in the argument this article makes and it's a bit disturbning that it would be glossed over so blithely.

I've been reusing those bags for a couple years now and have only tossed the handful that have actually failed. What needs to be compared here is the number of reusable and nonreusable bags each person consumes and your article does not do so. The article covers nothing except the larger impact of the individual reusable bags. We are left with no way to judge whether or not that increased impact per bag is good or bad.

They are great for tying-up hookers when no duct tape is available. ;)

Other uses:

Jokes aside my life is better with them than without.
And we can solve the plastic in the ocean solution. I believe there are companies out there that we can pay to drive around and pick up the garbage. But then who's gonna pay for it? And where do we put it once we've collected it?

We fucked up when we let Pepsi go from glass to plastic. We all still prefer beer in the glass right?

[...]

Are we having fun yet?
That is because idiots don't understand the concept of reusable bags.

The Freedonia Group study found that the reusable bags New Jersey shoppers have been forced to use since the bag ban took effect in May of 2022 are rarely reused, only two to three times on average. With many people in New Jersey now using reusable bags as single use bags, the state’s plastic and paper bag prohibition, though passed with the best of intentions, may be doing more harm than good in practice.

I live in New Jersey. At first, it was annoying to remember to bring our bags when we went grocery shopping. But, like the seatbelt law, after a while, we got used to it and I now welcome it.

We always have a few bags in the car that we reuse. Some we bought at the store, and a lot was gifted (promotional from the vet, etc).

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the average American people.

The REAL stupidity here is - USE PAPER!!!!!!!!!
In North America and all of Europe, paper is 100% renewable, 100% biodegradable and is made by special kinds of trees that are essentially a crop like any other crop.
Not since the late 1980s - has one single rain forest tree been cut down to make paper in North America.
Not one.
USE PAPER

On a side note - guess what country still uses deforested trees to make paper?
China. Because China doesn't give a shit. Never has, never will.
You buy Chinese products that are packaged in paper - you are helping to deforest the planet.

Tree Farm in Canada.... Genetically modified trees that grow incredibly fast, with very few limbs that are specifically grown for paper pulp. And they naturally convert carbon dioxide to oxygen as they grow.

attachment-GettyImages-526831390.jpg

What does "reuse them a few times" mean? How much the reusable bags get reused is a critical point in the argument this article makes and it's a bit disturbning that it would be glossed over so blithely.

I've been reusing those bags for a couple years now and have only tossed the handful that have actually failed. What needs to be compared here is the number of reusable and nonreusable bags each person consumes and your article does not do so. The article covers nothing except the larger impact of the individual reusable bags. We are left with no way to judge whether or not that increased impact per bag is good or bad.

And yet it was forced on people instead of giving them a choice.

For the good of the environment supposedly.

The REAL stupidity here is - USE PAPER!!!!!!!!!
In North America and all of Europe, paper is 100% renewable, 100% biodegradable and is made by special kinds of trees that are essentially a crop like any other crop.
Not since the late 1980s - has one single rain forest tree been cut down to make paper in North America.
Not one.
USE PAPER

On a side note - guess what country still uses deforested trees to make paper?
China. Because China doesn't give a shit. Never has, never will.
You buy Chinese products that are packaged in paper - you are helping to deforest the planet.

Tree Farm in Canada.... Genetically modified trees that grow incredibly fast, with very few limbs that are specifically grown for paper pulp. And they naturally convert carbon dioxide to oxygen as they grow.

View attachment 892939
You're 100% right. I live in North Florida, with many highly profitable tree farms nearby. No sooner is a farm harvested than the heavy equipment removes stumps and replants for the coming generation. Initially, they are planted close together, as in your photo. Then, they are thinned, and the remaining are allowed to grow bigger. It is a real science.

You're 100% right. I live in North Florida, with many highly profitable tree farms nearby. No sooner is a farm harvested than the heavy equipment removes stumps and replants for the coming generation. Initially, they are planted close together, as in your photo. Then, they are thinned, and the remaining are allowed to grow bigger. It is a real science.
And it has been going on for 40 years.
But the virtue signaling liberals can't bring themselves to accept paper because...well... it's baaaad.
Plastic is better!
You can't get any dumber.
Recycling paper? It is a scam, and has been a scam since the day the first soy boy liberal said we should recycle paper. The carbon footprint to recycle paper is MORE than the carbon footprint to produce virgin pulp.
Which is why today you have to PAY someone to come get your paper for recycling. And most of that has been shown to go to landfills anyway because most of the recycling plants closed when industry buyers (like myself way back in the 90s) discovered the lie.

Use paper - and insist that it is not recycled if you really want to help the planet.

And yet it was forced on people instead of giving them a choice.

For the good of the environment supposedly.

The city I just moved out had a initiative on the ballot to charge 10 cent tax per plastic bag used. It passed by like 80/20. Since then one of the local grocery stores started to give out reusable bags for the 10 cents instead of the cheap one time use ones. Now you see these bags all over town, giving the store free publicity. It is all we use now and they are good for 20 to 30 uses at least, we even use them when we are not in that town and there is no tax as it is just the smart thing to do

The city I just moved out had a initiative on the ballot to charge 10 cent tax per plastic bag used. It passed by like 80/20. Since then one of the local grocery stores started to give out reusable bags for the 10 cents instead of the cheap one time use ones. Now you see these bags all over town, giving the store free publicity. It is all we use now and they are good for 20 to 30 uses at least, we even use them when we are not in that town and there is no tax as it is just the smart thing to do
No - perhaps you can't read. Those thicker plastic woven bags use more plastic than the throw away ones do. You would have to use them 100s of times to save on plastic.

Paper is the best choice... by far. 100% renewable, 100% biodegradable and the replanted trees paper comes from actually replace carbon dioxide as they grow.

No - perhaps you can't read. Those thicker plastic woven bags use more plastic than the throw away ones do. You would have to use them 100s of times to save on plastic.

they are not woven, they are just a tad thicker. and I have never thrown one way and we have been using them for a couple of years. I do sometimes forget them and end up with more than i need.

More government force.

If you notice, the article covers those reusable bags which produce far more pollution and damage than the cheap plastic ones.

as usual, the piece you missed is that the ban didn't solve anything. It is amazing just how fking stupid you are.

Forum List

Back