Photo: At least 6 killed in massive Missouri crash involving 20 tractor trailers

WTF? Distracted by the word "ADULT" in that billboard perhaps? Or could it be "JESUS"!

Last edited:
ya I also saw where those college golfers were killed in auto accident.
People make mistakes and sometimes others pay for it.
Part of life sometimes, not much you can do about it.

Just folks driving too fast for conditions as usual? Well that's dull :sigh2:
"Wow, mighty foggy out here today! Perhaps I should slow down.. Nah, two idiots just passed me.. Besides it's a straightaway!.. What could possibly go wrong? Oops"

Last edited:
I used to see stories like this and think the people were just being reckless and then one day I drove into a fog bank all of a sudden on a curvy mountain road that lasted for miles where I couldn't see past the hood of my ride, couldn't see the sides of the road and could just barely see the running lights of the tractor trailer in front of me to follow that I had to tailgate just to make them out. Those were my only visual clue. If it had driven off the cliff, I would have followed him right over it.

When we finally broke through the fog, I had to pull over and twitch on the side of the road trying to calm my self down it was so damned scary an experience.

I couldn't see past the hood of my ride, couldn't see the sides of the road and could just barely see the running lights of the tractor trailer in front of me to follow that I had to tailgate just to make them out.
Bingo!

More than anything, this continued idiocy causes these "accidents.":
* The speed limit upon rural interstates is 70 mph unless otherwise posted. (Section 304.010 RSMo.) The minimum speed allowed on interstates is 40 mph. (Section 304.011 RSMo.)
Consider this scenario:
  1. One is driving too fast for conditions, i.e. unable to stop in time to avoid crashing into some unexpected blockage ahead. Often less than 40 mph. Think sudden deer crossing or jackknifing tractor-trailer -- add fog, rain, sun glare, heat, ice,.. Why only go 15 mph max in a school zone?
  2. Another one is driving too slow for conditions, i.e. going annoyingly slow, "holding up traffic" or "commerce"..
A crash inevitably occurs involving the two. Whose fault is it? Who's most likely to be killed or maimed as a result? Does it matter? Isn't getting to work or delivering that load on time far more important than any public concern over maintaining lives or limbs?

Last edited:
could just barely see the running lights of the tractor trailer in front of me to follow that I had to tailgate just to make them out.
That's exactly what all those truckdrivers were doing. Only, after a while, they no longer stress over it as you naturally did. They just think, well, truckdrivers know what they're doing.. Soon they're taking it to the next level -- tailing each other through mountain passes, all going 15-20 mph over the well posted speed limits.. because "safety in numbers!" -- Oops. Been there. Done that.. WHILE IN TRAINING!.. Survived. Yay.

I used to see stories like this and think the people were just being reckless and then one day I drove into a fog bank all of a sudden on a curvy mountain road that lasted for miles where I couldn't see past the hood of my ride, couldn't see the sides of the road and could just barely see the running lights of the tractor trailer in front of me to follow that I had to tailgate just to make them out. Those were my only visual clue. If it had driven off the cliff, I would have followed him right over it.

When we finally broke through the fog, I had to pull over and twitch on the side of the road trying to calm my self down it was so damned scary an experience.

I was coming home on I-5 in northern cali when a wicked fog came up. It was so thick it seemed solid and I'd never experienced anything like that. I was last in line of a short convoy of cars following one another's tail lights, doing just 30 mph or less and I was terrified. It was driving blind. I had a death grip on the wheel and concentrated on not biting my tongue in two while hoping to spot the Outlet Mall in Anderson where I might escape.

I heard the sound of a big rig coming and worse yet, he was coming fast and what I felt before was nothing compared to what I felt then. He braked, jack-knifed and slid I don't know how far and when he stopped he was just a couple feet from the back of my car. I think I sucked a little car seat cover up into my ass, I was so scared.

It's easy to say they're all idiots, and some of them are. But it's amazing how fast shit like that happens and how often you have no good options at the time.

I had to make myself drive that highway again.

Forum List

Back