Dozens of vehicles collide in massive, fiery pileup on I-81 in Pennsylvania

These snow squalls are wild, covering everything in less than 5 minutes and visibility 50 feet and less. Riding along and get under a dark thunderstorm looking cloud and boom. It was cold last night and today. People went from partly sunny and 35 to blinding accumulating snow very quickly.
I-80 south east of Cleveland can get real dicey, real quick.

Was coming into Pa from DTW one November. Barely could see, saw a guy follow another into the low median between east/west lanes.
Had an idiot once on black ice get impatient with me after riding my ass. He went to pass in next lane over and lost it next to me and took out three lanes and four or five other cars on the freeway leaving me untouched.
My eyes must have been as big as golf balls watching him slide sideways inches from my car.

Iā€™m telling you that itā€™s possible that 200 yards from where he filmed it wasnā€™t snowing. Thatā€™s a snow squall. Those trucks werenā€™t driving along for any length of time in that snow we saw at that speed. They went from nothing to blizzard like and really I canā€™t tell how quickly it went real bad but 5-15 seconds is my though. I would also think survivors would comment on how startled they were how quickly it went bad.

Last edited:
Iā€™m telling you that itā€™s possible that 200 yards from where he filmed it wasnā€™t snowing. Thatā€™s a snow squall. Those trucks werenā€™t driving along for any length of time in that snow we saw at that speed. That plowed into it and really I canā€™t tell how quickly it went real bad but 5-15 seconds is my though.

I was up that very area in February......Danville.....and that happened.

Iā€™m telling you that itā€™s possible that 200 yards from where he filmed it wasnā€™t snowing. Thatā€™s a snow squall. Those trucks werenā€™t driving along for any length of time in that snow we saw at that speed. They went from nothing to blizzard like and really I canā€™t tell how quickly it went real bad but 5-15 seconds is my though. I would also think survivors would comment on how startled they were how quickly it went bad.

Yes, it does, but you can see the vehicles ahead of you disappear. It's called situational awareness. The second you see something weird like that, you slow down.

I was up that very area in February......Danville.....and that happened.
One like this is rare in general and rarer at that location . They were piling in there like they didnā€™t know what was happening.

Yes, it does, but you can see the vehicles ahead of you disappear. It's called situational awareness. The second you see something weird like that, you slow down.
This is instructional to sudden snow events on interstates. Itā€™s almost the snow version of a tornado.

This is instructional to sudden snow events on interstates. Itā€™s almost the snow version of a tornado.

I live in the Sierra Nevada mountains. We always have those type storms here. I had one storm drop 6 feet of snow on my house in 5 hours.

Trust me, we know what snow squalls are like!

These snow squalls are wild, covering everything in less than 5 minutes and visibility 50 feet and less. Riding along and get under a dark thunderstorm looking cloud and boom. It was cold last night and today. People went from partly sunny and 35 to blinding accumulating snow very quickly.
Like hitting a switch...from flurry (if that) to white-out in two seconds with ZERO warning.

All of them vehicles were driving way too fast for conditions.
See it all the time in snowstorms.
We see the same thing down south with fog and heavy rain. It seriously seems like people INCREASE their speed during those conditions. In a really heavy fog, I have flashers on and slow down drastically or even pull off the road if traffic is flying past me.

We see the same thing down south with fog and heavy rain. It seriously seems like people INCREASE their speed during those conditions. In a really heavy fog, I have flashers on and slow down drastically or even pull off the road if traffic is flying past me.
Major snowstorms during rush hour will see about 300 accidents in a day around the Twin Cities.
Idiots keep flying along at normal speeds even after seeing a dozen accidents.
Doesn't matter how heavy the snow is, they won't slow down.

Unreal that people are willing to risk their lives and everyone else's to get to a job they probably hate. It's like freaking NASCAR out there and the pandemic only made the speeding worse.

In such conditions it's best to park on the shoulder at a hilltop with flashers on to help warn others. Done it many times. The only winning move is not to play. Tell the dispatcher to go fuck himself until conditions improve. Tell any harassing cops to arrest you or fuck off.

It may thus you are more experienced. The same thing has not happened in that spot for probably 20 years minimum.

Maybe not that very spot, but I have experienced weather of that type many times in many areas in Pennsylvania.
I-80 has multiples happen all the time....all kinds of weather.

In such conditions it's best to park on the shoulder at a hilltop with flashers on to help warn others. Done it many times. The only winning move is not to play. Tell the dispatcher to go fuck himself until conditions improve. Tell any harassing cops to arrest you or fuck off.
And hope you don't get splattered by a semi.

Maybe not that very spot, but I have experienced weather of that type many times in many areas in Pennsylvania.
I-80 has multiples happen all the time....all kinds of weather.
Iā€™m going to have to dispute that and you may wish to look at my screen name title before exaggerating further
Itā€™s been well over a decade since PA turnpike had multiple wrecks and fatalities from a snow squall
I too travel all over PA for 30 years in the winter and have Never encountered such. Some 1X2 mile area somewhere is PA May have such a debilitating squall once or twice a year on some remote or non main Highway or area. The idea that this is frequently encountered by interstate travelers in that area with disasterous white out results is Absolutely False.

Iā€™m going to have to dispute that and you may wish to look at my screen name title before exaggerating further
Itā€™s been well over a decade since PA turnpike had multiple wrecks and fatalities from a snow squall
I too travel all over PA for 30 years in the winter and have Never encountered such. Some 1X2 mile area somewhere is PA May have such a debilitating squall once or twice a year on some remote or non main Highway or area. The idea that this is frequently encountered by interstate travelers in that area with disasterous white out results is Absolutely False.

I'm not talking wrecks. Squalls pop up all across upper Pa. Up State College, further north and east, in winter, I expect it rather than don't. East West on 80, it pops up anytime.

Forum List

Back