Dozens of vehicles collide in massive, fiery pileup on I-81 in Pennsylvania

And hope you don't get splattered by a semi.
Given "on the shoulder at a hilltop with flashers on" with driving a semi clearly implied. But still good advice regardless. How fast are trucks usually going at the top of a hill? You're not apt to get mowed over there even in a car. Truckdrivers hear weather and road condition warnings. The smart ones know to take the nearest exit and get entirely off the highway asap, though too many dumb and desperate ones always persist. Hell, that day I even received a snow squall warning on my wife's old unlisted phone which I only use as a camera.

Minus trucks, there generally is no "massive, fiery" interstate pile up.

Last edited:
Yeah we used to drive from Akron Ohio through Pennsylvania on the I-90 Turnpike.... all the tunnels were cool..... to Lancaster, and then Wildwood and Cape May, New Jersey and then we'd go down the coast to Florida. ( every summer vacation in the 70s).
I-90 only goes through Erie, PA before heading across NY. I-76 is what folks still generally call "the Turnpike" here. The east-west one with the tunnels. Much improved since the 70s. I-80 is much cheaper though and more historic.

POTTSVILLE, Pennsylvania -- A collision involving as many as 40 vehicles closed a portion of Interstate 81 in Pennsylvania and sent more than a dozen people to area hospitals on Monday, according to the Schuylkill County Office of Emergency Management.

The crash in northeast Pennsylvania happened around 10:30 a.m. and John Blickley, the deputy emergency management coordinator for the agency, said officials believe a snow squall clouded visibility and likely contributed to the accident. About 40 vehicles including multiple tractor-trailers were involved in the initial crash, he said.

Dozens of vehicles collide in massive, fiery pileup on Pennsylvania highway

Damn! The guy at 40 seconds is lucky to be alive.

Probably the scariest thing I experienced on the road was when I hit a whiteout on I-76 towards Pittsburgh, and not knowing where the exit was to get off the road or not seeing the lane or the rail or the road or cars ahead, basically it's like driving with a white bed sheet on your windshield and you have to guess where to go.

Last edited:
Yeah we used to drive from Akron Ohio through Pennsylvania on the I-90 Turnpike.... all the tunnels were cool..... to Lancaster, and then Wildwood and Cape May, New Jersey and then we'd go down the coast to Florida. ( every summer vacation in the 70s).
Between I-79 going east, is trucker city heading to the east coast. Shaky driving.

Given "on the shoulder at a hilltop with flashers on" with driving a semi clearly implied. But still good advice regardless. How fast are trucks usually going at the top of a hill? You're not apt to get mowed over there even in a car. Truckdrivers hear weather and road condition warnings. The smart ones know to take the nearest exit and get entirely off the highway asap, though too many dumb and desperate ones always persist. Hell, that day I even received a snow squall warning on my wife's old unlisted phone which I only use as a camera.

Minus trucks, there generally is no "massive, fiery" interstate pile up.
I top hills at 55-60 in a truck regularly.

Either you have NEVER in your life experienced a snow squall or you're shitposting.

Between I-79 going east, is trucker city heading to the east coast. Shaky driving.
The Japanese have been building high-speed rail systems since the 60s, while our money was squandered in wars , the military industry, big oil and the auto makers, etc.

China has over 40,000 kilometers of high-speed rail networks, with plans for phasing out coal fired electric plants by 2040. We are woefully behind them and most of Europe in that regard.

For a so-called democratic republic we're not very good at voting in our own best interest, it appears. Vietnam War, NAFTA, Patriot Act.....the list is not short.

Last edited:
The Japanese have been building high-speed rail systems since the 60s, while our money was squandered in wars , the military industry, big oil and the auto makers, etc.

China has over 40,000 kilometers of high-speed rail networks, with plans for phasing out coal fired electric plants by 2040. We are woefully behind them and most of Europe in that regard.

For a so-called democratic republic we're not very good at voting in our own best interest, it appears. Vietnam War, NAFTA, Patriot Act.....the list is not short.
Our rep's vote in their best interest, not ours.

It's hard to believe that people are so fucking stupid that they don't slow down
Sometimes the freeway is so busy that you can't, because of the flow of traffic....The person who slows significantly gets rear-ended, and that's when all the fun begins.

The people who piled in at the end were def traveling way to fast for conditions.

Forum List

Back