Philly-Sports Party (Villanova): Diary

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
Philadelphia sports has generated a great deal of fanfare and urban spirit. There's even a Philadelphia Sports Hall of Fame honoring achievements in sports by athletes from the area.

After the Eagles' nifty victory in Super Bowl 52 [2018] over the New England Patriots (winners of 5 titles in the new millennium), all professional Philly sports teams have at least one championship title --- 76ers (NBA), Flyers (NHL), Eagles (NFL), and Phillies (MLB).

There's also been nice collegiate drama generated by Philly-area sports teams.

Joe Paterno's Penn State Nittany Lions (college football) are winners of two national championships, and Paterno put Penn State on the national map and spotlight and arguably generated a cool little rivalry with Lou Holtz' Notre Dame 'Fightin Irish.

Villanova men's college basketball are winners of 2 national titles (1985, 2016) and are once again in the Final Four this year. Villanova shocked the nation with the 1985 championship over the Goliath-like John Thompson-coached Georgetown Hoyas which featured future Hall-of-Famer Patrick Ewing.

I've been a Philly sports fan my whole life, since I lived in Philadelphia for four years after immigrating to America in 1983. I grew up in New Jersey, continuing to cheer for Philly-sports greats such as Eric Lindros (Flyers), Randall Cunningham (Eagles), Chase Utley (Phillies), and Allen Iverson (76ers).

So since Villanova is once again in the Final Four (this their 6th appearance!), I thought I'd write up a special Philly-sports toast and invite my friends for a Villanova Final-Four party this Saturday (March 31), regardless of whether or not 'Nova wins their national semifinal game (against mighty Kansas who just took down Duke in overtime).

If you've never been to Philadelphia (the City of Brotherly Love), we have much to offer --- great schools including an Ivy League school, terrific sports fanfare (obviously), delicious legendary cheesesteaks, Philadelphia Cream Cheese, Independence Hall (where the Declaration of Independence was signed), Penn's Landing (great tourist site), the Philadelphia Zoo, South Street, Chinatown, Little Italy, and nice parks too.

In other words, Philadelphia is a great city to bring your family and you'll get a nice glimpse of the hospitality and multicultural flair of America from the City of Brotherly Love. Like with any city, Philadelphia has its problems, but it's a nice 'alternative' to an overcrowded behemoth such as New York or Los Angeles.

That's like the 'mixing-bowl' of what makes Philly-sports TV a cool treat.

So party hearty for Villanova next Saturday --- and toast Philly-sports (in general)...unless of course, you're a Brady/Patriots fan(!).

eagle.jpg

====

So many great teams with storied traditions and great moments in championship games. Any fan of baseball (MLB) from anywhere will tell you about the satisfaction of watching Phillies legend Mike Schimdt play or the joy of ringing the Liberty bell after Penn State's national championship. It's all cool in Philadelphia (I sound like a tour-guide)...

x4.jpg

Joe Paterno is one of college football's small list of all-time greatest coaches. What he did for the Penn State Nittany Lions will never be forgotten, and he offered Philly-sports fans a great Saturday TV experience. Even if you're not from Philadelphia, you gotta love those Nittany Lions (and it's mostly thanks to Joe).

x5.jpg

Here's a portrait of the Phillies legend Mike Schimdt. Arguably the Stefan Edberg of American baseball, Schimdt brought grace and substance to the game. Philly fans almost worship him.

x6.jpg

The Eagles cheerleaders were in fine-form this millennium, as they powered to numerous NFC Championship games, though they won only 2 of them [2005, 2018]. In 2005, the Eagles lost to Brady's Patriots in the Super Bowl, but they avenged their loss in Super Bowl 52 [2018]. The Eagles cheerleaders remind us Philly-sports fans that even though Brady's Patriots are the undoubted Super Bowl Team of the New Millennium, the Eagles are the undisputed (and now-gloried!) Underdog Team of the New Millennium. Fly, Eagles, fly...

n10.jpg

The fencing team at the University of Pennsylvania (member of the prestigious Ivy League) obtained prominence and honors, having attained a #4 national ranking in recent years. UPenn fencing is something to smile about if you're a supporter of the Ivy League and if you like the unusual but very elegant sport of fencing. They've won a whopping 18 Ivy League championships since the late 1960s and back-to-back wins in 2017 and 2018! Wow.

x8.jpg

Besides, Philadelphia is a great place to shop for music, clothes, and street-food. Street-vendors are terrific in Philadelphia, and Philly cheesesteaks are the best in America! Bring money and spirits, since a tourist-visit to Philadelphia will make you feel like you're really right at home. There's really no reason NOT to go see a professional Philly sports-team game while you're visiting.

z2.jpg

TRUMP: Philly sports have given us a great deal.
CARTER: Sure. I liked Ron Hextall's Flyers.
TRUMP: We should host a Villanova-associated Philly-sports party.
CARTER: Sure. On Final Four Saturday --- March 31!
TRUMP: Even if Villanova loses, we'll remember the great merchandising...
CARTER: Philly sports have given the industry a 'touch of class.'
TRUMP: That's because Philadelphia is a city of great pluralism 'flavor.'
CARTER: The Eagles Super Bowl parade was terrific for fans.
TRUMP: Philly sports are just what the doctor ordered to get over the trauma of 9/11.
CARTER: I agree; Fly, Eagles, fly!

====

:dance:

x7.jpg

The Support-Group

Philadelphia is such a pluralism-oriented U.S. city that you can't help create a 'group effort' when cheering for Philly teams. So when Villanova's in the Final Four, and you're a Philly sports-fan, you might be thinking about the excitement of Penn State football(!). When the 76ers are the NBA Finals, and you're a Philly sports-fan, you might be thinking of the energy of the Flyers (NHL).

That's the best way to cheer for Philly teams --- think about the general energy of the city itself. Maybe that's what makes Philadelphia such a perfect 'sports-underdog' city.

Villanova has to deal with a potent #1 seed (Kansas) in tonight's second national semifinal (tip-off at 8:49 pm Eastern/NY time).

eagle.jpg

====

Villanova's in the Final Four (again),
how awesome...

Nardi's gone, but this year's squad,
is pretty cool.

When I watch 'Nova tussle with Kansas (tonight),
I'm remembering Paterno's Penn State 'Nittany Lions.

Remember the Penn State cheerleaders,
the ones from the 'Paterno era'(?)?

Villanova deserves another title,
remember those Penn State cheerleaders folks.

Philadelphia needs a boost from President Trump himself...

====

psu1.jpg

Philadelphia sports has generated a great deal of fanfare and urban spirit. There's even a Philadelphia Sports Hall of Fame honoring achievements in sports by athletes from the area.

After the Eagles' nifty victory in Super Bowl 52 [2018] over the New England Patriots (winners of 5 titles in the new millennium), all professional Philly sports teams have at least one championship title --- 76ers (NBA), Flyers (NHL), Eagles (NFL), and Phillies (MLB).

Joe Paterno's Penn State Nittany Lions (college football) are winners of two national championships, and Paterno put Penn State on the national map and spotlight and arguably generated a cool little rivalry with Lou Holtz' Notre Dame 'Fightin Irish.

Villanova men's college basketball are winners of 2 national titles (1985, 2016) and are once again in the Final Four this year. Villanova shocked the nation with the 1985 championship over the Goliath-like John Thompson-coached Georgetown Hoyas which featured future Hall-of-Famer Patrick Ewing.

I've been a Philly sports fan my whole life, since I lived in Philadelphia for four years after immigrating to America in 1983. I grew up in New Jersey, continuing to cheer for Philly-sports greats such as Eric Lindros (Flyers), Randall Cunningham (Eagles), Chase Utley (Phillies), and Allen Iverson (76ers).

So since Villanova is once again in the Final Four (this their 6th appearance!), I thought I'd write up a special Philly-sports toast and invite my friends for a Villanova Final-Four party this Saturday (March 31), regardless of whether or not 'Nova wins their national semifinal game (against mighty Kansas who just took down Duke in overtime).

If you've never been to Philadelphia (the City of Brotherly Love), we have much to offer --- great schools including an Ivy League school, terrific sports fanfare (obviously), delicious legendary cheesesteaks, Philadelphia Cream Cheese, Independence Hall (where the Declaration of Independence was signed), Penn's Landing (great tourist site), the Philadelphia Zoo, South Street, Chinatown, Little Italy, and nice parks too.

In other words, Philadelphia is a great city to bring your family and you'll get a nice glimpse of the hospitality and multicultural flair of America from the City of Brotherly Love. Like with any city, Philadelphia has its problems, but it's a nice 'alternative' to an overcrowded behemoth such as New York or Los Angeles.

So party hearty for Villanova next Saturday --- and toast Philly-sports (in general)...unless of course, you're a Brady/Patriots fan(!).

View attachment 184672

====

So many great teams with storied traditions and great moments in championship games. Any fan of baseball (MLB) from anywhere will tell you about the satisfaction of watching Phillies legend Mike Schimdt play or the joy of ringing the Liberty bell after Penn State's national championship. It's all cool in Philadelphia (I sound like a tour-guide)...

View attachment 184673

Joe Paterno is one of college football's small list of all-time greatest coaches. What he did for the Penn State Nittany Lions will never be forgotten, and he offered Philly-sports fans a great Saturday TV experience. Even if you're not from Philadelphia, you gotta love those Nittany Lions (and it's mostly thanks to Joe).

View attachment 184675

Here's a portrait of the Phillies legend Mike Schimdt. Arguably the Stefan Edberg of American baseball, Schimdt brought grace and substance to the game. Philly fans almost worship him.

View attachment 184676

The Eagles cheerleaders were in fine-form this millennium, as they powered to numerous NFC Championship games, though they won only 2 of them [2005, 2018]. In 2005, the Eagles lost to Brady's Patriots in the Super Bowl, but they avenged their loss in Super Bowl 52 [2018]. The Eagles cheerleaders remind us Philly-sports fans that even though Brady's Patriots are the undoubted Super Bowl Team of the New Millennium, the Eagles are the undisputed (and now-gloried!) Underdog Team of the New Millennium. Fly, Eagles, fly...

View attachment 184678

The fencing team at the University of Pennsylvania (member of the prestigious Ivy League) obtained prominence and honors, having attained a #4 national ranking in recent years. UPenn fencing is something to smile about if you're a supporter of the Ivy League and if you like the unusual but very elegant sport of fencing. They've won a whopping 18 Ivy League championships since the late 1960s and back-to-back wins in 2017 and 2018! Wow.

View attachment 184679

Besides, Philadelphia is a great place to shop for music, clothes, and street-food. Street-vendors are terrific in Philadelphia, and Philly cheesesteaks are the best in America! Bring money and spirits, since a tourist-visit to Philadelphia will make you feel like you're really right at home. There's really no reason NOT to go see a professional Philly sports-team game while you're visiting.

View attachment 184680

TRUMP: Philly sports are just what the doctor ordered to get over the trauma of 9/11.

====

View attachment 184677
I can’t believe Michigan made the finals. We’re going to need to have our best game and Villanova needs to go cold on monday

View attachment 184672

====

View attachment 184673

View attachment 184675

View attachment 184676

View attachment 184678

View attachment 184679

View attachment 184680

====

View attachment 184677
Nobody’s talking Michigan vs Villanova

The Wildcats Prevail

The Villanova Wildcats defeat the Michigan Wolverines 79-62 in tonight's NCAAM national championship game and take their 2nd title after their 1985 iconic upset over John Thompson and Patrick Ewing's Georgetown Hoyas.

Is Villanova the new Duke? It's arguable. One thing's for certain --- this continues to be an exciting year for sports in Philadelphia.

1. the Eagles win the Super Bowl
2. the Sixers are on a winning momentum and are neck-and-neck with the Cleveland Cavs
3. Villanova is the NCAAM's champion
4. Penn State football is pre-season ranked in the top 10

Will the Philadelphia Phillies (MLB) do well this year too? The Phillies are projected to be rather average this year, but you never know what can happen during the season(!).

Enjoy some Tom Cruise cocktails (Aqua Velva + Southern Comfort) and toast the Wildcats for tonight's exuberant and overpowering and controlling performance in the latter dominant portion of the entire game.

GO NOVA!!!

nova.jpeg

View attachment 184672

====

View attachment 184673

View attachment 184675

View attachment 184676

View attachment 184678

View attachment 184679

View attachment 184680

====

View attachment 184677

Did anyone watch? I forgot about it! Congrats Philly! :113: :71: :eusa_clap: :eusa_dance:

View attachment 184672

====

View attachment 184673

View attachment 184675

View attachment 184676

View attachment 184678

View attachment 184679

View attachment 184680

====

View attachment 184677

Did anyone watch? I forgot about it! Congrats Philly! :113: :71: :eusa_clap: :eusa_dance:

No one was talking about it the days leading up either. I thought people loved March Madness? I thought people loved the college sports more than the pros. Bullshit. Only Michigan and PA folks tuned in last night.

TV ratings for Villanova's NCAA championship win aren't pretty - Philly

View attachment 184672

====

View attachment 184673

View attachment 184675

View attachment 184676

View attachment 184678

View attachment 184679

View attachment 184680

====

View attachment 184677

Monday night’s NCAA championship game, which saw Villanova crush Michigan 79-62, drew the lowest overnight rating in the history of the tournament.

Across TBS, TNT and TruTV, the tournament’s championship game earned a 10.3 overnight rating, according to Sports Business Daily’s John Ourand. The previous low for a NCAA championship game was the 11.2 rating pulled in during the 2004 NCAA contest between UConn and Georgia Tech.

In Philadelphia — the country’s fourth-largest television market — the game delivered a 21.2 rating, according to Sports Business Daily’s Austin Karp. That equates to roughly 614,00 households in the Philadelphia market tuning in to watch Villanova’s second NCAA championship in three years. For sake of comparison, the Eagles Super Bowl win back in February delivered a 56.2 rating, adding up to about 1.6 million households.

I don't ever want to hear people say they love college better than the pros. Liars.

View attachment 184672

====

View attachment 184673

View attachment 184675

View attachment 184676

View attachment 184678

View attachment 184679

View attachment 184680

====

View attachment 184677

Monday night’s NCAA championship game, which saw Villanova crush Michigan 79-62, drew the lowest overnight rating in the history of the tournament.

Across TBS, TNT and TruTV, the tournament’s championship game earned a 10.3 overnight rating, according to Sports Business Daily’s John Ourand. The previous low for a NCAA championship game was the 11.2 rating pulled in during the 2004 NCAA contest between UConn and Georgia Tech.

In Philadelphia — the country’s fourth-largest television market — the game delivered a 21.2 rating, according to Sports Business Daily’s Austin Karp. That equates to roughly 614,00 households in the Philadelphia market tuning in to watch Villanova’s second NCAA championship in three years. For sake of comparison, the Eagles Super Bowl win back in February delivered a 56.2 rating, adding up to about 1.6 million households.

I don't ever want to hear people say they love college better than the pros. Liars.

Shows how much I know and remember; had no idea Villanova won a couple years ago! :abgg2q.jpg: :beer: :dunno:

View attachment 184672

====

View attachment 184673

View attachment 184675

View attachment 184676

View attachment 184678

View attachment 184679

View attachment 184680

====

View attachment 184677

Shows how much I know and remember; had no idea Villanova won a couple years ago! :abgg2q.jpg: :beer: :dunno:

Who lost the National championship in football this year? Who remembers? Who lost in the NHL finals? NBA? MLB? NFL? It's hard to remember. When you are 20 you can remember every finals you've ever seen but then what about 27 years later? That's a lot of things to remember.

Forum List

Back