Palm Sunday

The Irish Ram

LITTLE GIRL / Ram Tough
Apr 10, 2011
diagonally parked in a parallel universe
5 centuries before the event, Daniel prophesied that the Messiah would appear exactly 173,880 days after the command to rebuild and restore Jerusalem was given.

Nehemiah was alive when that command was given by Artaxerxes. Nehemiah calculated the day the Messiah would enter Jerusalem. April 6, 32 AD.

Zechariah prophesied the visual:

Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion! Shout in triumph, O daughter of Jerusalem! Behold, your king is coming to you; He is just and endowed with salvation, Humble, and mounted on a donkey, Even on a colt, the foal of a donkey.

Every time Christ's followers proclaimed Him as the Messiah, Jesus would tell them His day had not yet come. But then, on April 6th, 32 AD -- 173,880 days to the day, for the first time, Jesus presented Himself as the Messiah as crowds threw palm leaves in front of His path, and shouted Hosanna, Hosanna! Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord".

Jesus knew prophesy. He may have arranged to make sure He entered the east gate as it was written,or even calculated the days, but He then would have also had to arrange being here on earth exactly 173,880 days after the command to rebuild Jerusalem was given.

But it's that colt prophesy that sticks in my mind. No one rides a young strong male donkey that has never been broken. The very best you could hope for is to wrap your arms around it's neck and hold on for dear life while it runs a muck trying to remove you from it's back. And yet on that day there was one colt who must have known that he was destined for fame. He was the perfect mount.

The Donkey
by G. K. Chesterton

When fishes flew and forests walked
And figs grew upon thorn,
Some moment when the moon was blood
Then surely I was born.

With monstrous head and sickening cry
And ears like errant wings,
The devil’s walking parody
On all four-footed things.

The tattered outlaw of the earth,
Of ancient crooked will;
Starve, scourge, deride me:
I am dumb, I keep my secret still.

Fools! For I also had my hour;
One far fierce hour and sweet:
There was a shout about my ears,
And palms before my feet.

Last edited:
in germany there are old customs on this day.

unknown in the US.?

5 centuries before the event, Daniel prophesied that the Messiah would appear exactly 173,880 days after the command to rebuild and restore Jerusalem was given.

Nehemiah was alive when that command was given by Artaxerxes. Nehemiah calculated the day the Messiah would enter Jerusalem. April 6, 32 AD.

Zechariah prophesied the visual:

Every time Christ's followers proclaimed Him as the Messiah, Jesus would tell them His day had not yet come. But then, on April 6th, 32 AD -- 173,880 days to the day, for the first time, Jesus presented Himself as the Messiah as crowds threw palm leaves in front of His path, and shouted Hosanna, Hosanna! Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord".

Jesus knew prophesy. He may have arranged to make sure He entered the east gate as it was written,or even calculated the days, but He then would have also had to arrange being here on earth exactly 173,880 days after the command to rebuild Jerusalem was given.

But it's that colt prophesy that sticks in my mind. No one rides a young strong male donkey that has never been broken. The very best you could hope for is to wrap your arms around it's neck and hold on for dear life while it runs a muck trying to remove you from it's back. And yet on that day there was one colt who must have known that he was destined for fame. He was the perfect mount.

The Donkey
by G. K. Chesterton

When fishes flew and forests walked
And figs grew upon thorn,
Some moment when the moon was blood
Then surely I was born.

With monstrous head and sickening cry
And ears like errant wings,
The devil’s walking parody
On all four-footed things.

The tattered outlaw of the earth,
Of ancient crooked will;
Starve, scourge, deride me:
I am dumb, I keep my secret still.

Fools! For I also had my hour;
One far fierce hour and sweet:
There was a shout about my ears,
And palms before my feet.

Neither Daniel nor Zechariah were writing about Jesus.

The Hebrew bible as we know it is a work of redaction from the post-exile period. They tend to view it as a political work constructing a history for a people and to rally support for the 2nd temple.

Isaiah, Zechariah and Jeremiah are writing about Cyrus the Great.

The Hebrew bible as we know it is a work of redaction from the post-exile period. They tend to view it as a political work constructing a history for a people and to rally support for the 2nd temple.

maybe

and what about this day in our time?

do the christians here prefer to talk about satan than about nice things?

Yes. But that does not make it any less applicable to other times as well.

Back when we were in college my best friend and I had that conversation I think most young people have with friends: Do you ever notice that when you get something wrong, the same kind of situation keeps coming around until you get it right?

While Isaiah, Zechariah, Jeremiah and others were indeed talking about and addressing what was happening in their own time, what they were saying then is just as applicable in other times (New Testament times and our own modern times) as it was then. The reason they are known as great prophets is that they saw a human condition that was in need of care and healing and called people to that remedy--and away from behaviors that got them to that place to begin with.

Yes. But that does not make it any less applicable to other times as well.

Back when we were in college my best friend and I had that conversation I think most young people have with friends: Do you ever notice that when you get something wrong, the same kind of situation keeps coming around until you get it right?

While Isaiah, Zechariah, Jeremiah and others were indeed talking about and addressing what was happening in their own time, what they were saying then is just as applicable in other times (New Testament times and our own modern times) as it was then. The reason they are known as great prophets is that they saw a human condition that was in need of care and healing and called people to that remedy--and away from behaviors that got them to that place to begin with.

They were talking about Cyrus, the return from exile, rebuilding the temple, not Jesus.

I don't think we should change scripture. Do you think it was God or the Jews who got it wrong????

They were talking about Cyrus, the return from exile, rebuilding the temple, not Jesus.

I don't think we should change scripture. Do you think it was God or the Jews who got it wrong????
Isaiah 45:6: So that people may know from the rising to the setting of the sun That there is no one besides Me. I am the LORD, and there is no one else

The above verse makes my point. Since Isaiah noted that the sun rises and the sun sets, could it be he was only talking about what was true in his own time, and we cannot see today that the sun rises and the sun sets?

Noting comparable happenings and occurrences that occurred in earlier times does not eliminate them from happening again...and again...and again. Simply because prophets were addressing the issues in their own time, does not eliminate the fact that these same issues will keep cropping up throughout later times and that when they do, prophetic advice from these earlier times were not only solutions for then, but are also possible solutions for future times.

In no way does this change scripture or past events. It does bring scripture alive throughout time. The fact that in Revelation John was talking about Nero as the anti-Christ, doesn't lessen Hitler being an anti-Christ centuries later. Hitler just wasn't the one John spoke of.

Isaiah 45:6: So that people may know from the rising to the setting of the sun That there is no one besides Me. I am the LORD, and there is no one else

The above verse makes my point. Since Isaiah noted that the sun rises and the sun sets, could it be he was only talking about what was true in his own time, and we cannot see today that the sun rises and the sun sets?

Noting comparable happenings and occurrences that occurred in earlier times does not eliminate them from happening again...and again...and again. Simply because prophets were addressing the issues in their own time, does not eliminate the fact that these same issues will keep cropping up throughout later times and that when they do, prophetic advice from these earlier times were not only solutions for then, but are also possible solutions for future times.

In no way does this change scripture or past events. It does bring scripture alive throughout time. The fact that in Revelation John was talking about Nero as the anti-Christ, doesn't lessen Hitler being an anti-Christ centuries later. Hitler just wasn't the one John spoke of.

Are you a fundamentalist or evangelical?

I can't imagine your futurism.

Forum List

Back