Only 44% Of U.S. Adults Are Employed For 30-Or-More Hours Per Week

Just saw this on cable news. It's bad enough for companies to force people to take early retirement, but when a company lays off 400 workers and requires the workers to train their replacements from India, something smells.

Information technology workers at Southern California Edison (SCE) are being laid off and replaced by workers from India. Some employees are training their H-1B visa holding replacements, and many have already lost their jobs.

The employees are upset and say they can't understand how H-1B guest workers can be used to replace them.

The IT organization's "transition effort" is expected to result in about 400 layoffs, with "another 100 or so employees leaving voluntarily," SCE said in a statement. The "transition," which began in August, will be completed by the end of March, the company said.

"They are bringing in people with a couple of years' experience to replace us and then we have to train them," said one longtime IT worker. "It's demoralizing and in a way I kind of felt betrayed by the company."

Southern California Edison IT workers beyond furious over H-1B replacements Computerworld
Corporations are doing all they can to kill the middle class in the USA...

Seems to me Government, the EPA, and over-regulation of private industry are doing that...

2a6kn42.gif
hmmm, seems to me the UNDER regulated HB1 visas is the problem Vigil, not the over regulating of hb1 visas....

And both Dems and Pubs support these hb1 visas

In actuality we don't need any more immigrants.... legal or illegal, from anywhere! We need to concentrate on getting us really going again.

44% of US adults are working. Think about that for a minute, retired people are adults. Stay at home moms are adults. The disabled can be adults. Pogo had a good question, what is the ideal number? What has it been traditionally?

Exactly. And still no response from the OP - even though he says first line "put that in your baby boomer pipe and smoke it"...
So I looked around the blog he links but all that guy says is "It has been hovering between 42 percent and 45 percent since the end of 2009. This is extremely low." He doesn't say what number would be normal. He doesn't even link the number he has let alone the range.

Kinda looks like somebody din't do they homework. And not just the OP.

Only 44% Of U.S. Adults Are Employed For 30-Or-More Hours Per Week, and corporate America is making record profits.

There you have it folks. Put the baby boomer in the pipe and smoke it

-Geaux
----------
Jim Clifton, the Chairman and CEO of Gallup, says that the percentage of Americans that are employed full-time has been hovering near record lows since the end of the last recession. But most Americans don’t realize this because the official unemployment numbers are extremely misleading. In fact, Clifton says that the official 5.6 percent unemployment rate is a “big lie”. Gallup regularly tracks the percentage of U.S. adults that are employed for 30 or more hours per week, and it is currently at 44.2 percent. It has been hovering between 42 percent and 45 percent since the end of 2009. This is extremely low. As I discussed the other day, there are 8.69 million Americans that are considered to be “officially unemployed” at this point. But there are another 92.90 million Americans that are considered to be “not in the labor force”. Millions upon millions of those Americans would work if they could. Overall, there are 101 million U.S. adults that do not have a job right now. But you won’t hear that number being discussed by the mainstream media, because it would make Barack Obama look really bad.

Only 44 Of U.S. Adults Are Employed For 30-Or-More Hours Per Week Zero Hedge

Compared to -- what? What do you figure the ideal percentage is?

Good point. Unless you have something to compare it to, it means nothing.

And -- I'm an adult and I don't work so I'm counted in that figure. How many more retired people were included?

Attach any percentage to it you want but unemployment has been growing less and less every year since Obama took office.

Meanwhile, the Republicans continue to obstruct all jobs bills.

Just saw this on cable news. It's bad enough for companies to force people to take early retirement, but when a company lays off 400 workers and requires the workers to train their replacements from India, something smells.

Information technology workers at Southern California Edison (SCE) are being laid off and replaced by workers from India. Some employees are training their H-1B visa holding replacements, and many have already lost their jobs.

The employees are upset and say they can't understand how H-1B guest workers can be used to replace them.

The IT organization's "transition effort" is expected to result in about 400 layoffs, with "another 100 or so employees leaving voluntarily," SCE said in a statement. The "transition," which began in August, will be completed by the end of March, the company said.

"They are bringing in people with a couple of years' experience to replace us and then we have to train them," said one longtime IT worker. "It's demoralizing and in a way I kind of felt betrayed by the company."

Southern California Edison IT workers beyond furious over H-1B replacements Computerworld
Corporations are doing all they can to kill the middle class in the USA...

With plenty of help from the GOP.

Once we shut down those corporations we'll have full and fair equality.

Nobody will have anything.

Perfection, so long as folks keep believing the paper money can buy stuff.

See, all it requires is faith!

Blind, dumb faith.

-Geaux
----------
Jim Clifton, the Chairman and CEO of Gallup, says that the percentage of Americans that are employed full-time has been hovering near record lows since the end of the last recession. But most Americans don’t realize this because the official unemployment numbers are extremely misleading. In fact, Clifton says that the official 5.6 percent unemployment rate is a “big lie”. Gallup regularly tracks the percentage of U.S. adults that are employed for 30 or more hours per week, and it is currently at 44.2 percent. It has been hovering between 42 percent and 45 percent since the end of 2009. This is extremely low. As I discussed the other day, there are 8.69 million Americans that are considered to be “officially unemployed” at this point. But there are another 92.90 million Americans that are considered to be “not in the labor force”. Millions upon millions of those Americans would work if they could. Overall, there are 101 million U.S. adults that do not have a job right now. But you won’t hear that number being discussed by the mainstream media, because it would make Barack Obama look really bad.

From your link:

and millions of good jobs are being replaced by technology.

Technology doesn't program itself. That takes engineers and technicians with an education. Republicans will never be qualified.

Once we shut down those corporations we'll have full and fair equality.

Nobody will have anything.

Perfection, so long as folks keep believing the paper money can buy stuff.

See, all it requires is faith!

Blind, dumb faith.

Continue thinking like that and you'll die stupid.

-Geaux
----------

Compared to -- what? What do you figure the ideal percentage is?

Good point. Unless you have something to compare it to, it means nothing.

And -- I'm an adult and I don't work so I'm counted in that figure. How many more retired people were included?

Attach any percentage to it you want but unemployment has been growing less and less every year since Obama took office.

Meanwhile, the Republicans continue to obstruct all jobs bills.

Another grey area is what they mean by "30 hours a week".
I don't work by the hour. I usually bill by the day. Regardless how many hours are used. Nobody has asked me how many that is.

Then there are craftspeople who make stuff and get paid by what they sell...
If their methodology is limited to hourly wage earners, there's just fewer of them generally. I've been working at least partially as a freelancer for about 30 years.

But if neither the OP nor his blog tells us, we'll never know. :dunno:

Everything about that fucking Obama administration is a goddamn lie. That 101 million adults would equate to a 33% UNEMPLOYMENT RATE. Of course half of those people are on the government teat sucking away.
But less of a lie than the Bush Regime who left office with a 39.4% unemployment rate by that same calculation.

Everything about that fucking Obama administration is a goddamn lie. That 101 million adults would equate to a 33% UNEMPLOYMENT RATE. Of course half of those people are on the government teat sucking away.
But less of a lie than the Bush Regime who left office with a 39.4% unemployment rate by that same calculation.

Yeah, but counting every housewife, college student and millions of retired people as 'unemployed' would be monumentally retarded. Like 'got your head caught in a grain thresher' retarded.

Going to get much worse in 2016 also.
Now that the GOP control the Senate as well as the House.

We'll to correct this shithole of a mess we got to get rid of the Obama ass in the WH, then we will be able to expedite the shit and make it golden.
Yeah, and expedite getting back to Bush's 39.4% UE rate shit.

Bush didn't have time to fix it. Obama came too soon and spooged all over this economy.

Forum List

Back