Only 44% Of U.S. Adults Are Employed For 30-Or-More Hours Per Week

As I discussed the other day, there are 8.69 million Americans that are considered to be “officially unemployed” at this point.
Because they are available to work and looked for work that month.

But there are another 92.90 million Americans that are considered to be “not in the labor force”.
Because they did not try to find work that month. A-38. Persons not in the labor force by desire and availability for work, age, and sex
Of the 93,674,000 people who neither worked nor looked for work (or weren't available for work) 87,207,000 (93.1%) DID NOT WANT A JOB.
So that leaves 6.5 million (hardly "millions upon millions") who say they want a job. However, of those, 2,840,000 did not do anything to try and work in the previous year. I don't know about anyone else, but when I've wanted a job, I haven't gone a year without filling out one application or asking on friend if they knew about any work. Of those who did look in the last year, 606,000 said they couldn't have accepted a job if handed to them. So that leaves 2,234,000 "Marginally Attached." People who say they want work, could start work now, looked in the last year but not last 4 weeks. Why did they stop? 1,552,000 for family reasons, illness, injury, school, transportation problems, etc. Only 682,000 say they gave up due to discouragement.

As I discussed the other day, there are 8.69 million Americans that are considered to be “officially unemployed” at this point.

But there are another 92.90 million Americans that are considered to be “not in the labor force”.
Because they did not try to find work that month. A-38. Persons not in the labor force by desire and availability for work, age, and sex
Of the 93,674,000 people who neither worked nor looked for work (or weren't available for work) 87,207,000 (93.1%) DID NOT WANT A JOB.
So that leaves 6.5 million (hardly "millions upon millions") who say they want a job. However, of those, 2,840,000 did not do anything to try and work in the previous year. I don't know about anyone else, but when I've wanted a job, I haven't gone a year without filling out one application or asking on friend if they knew about any work. Of those who did look in the last year, 606,000 said they couldn't have accepted a job if handed to them. So that leaves 2,234,000 "Marginally Attached." People who say they want work, could start work now, looked in the last year but not last 4 weeks. Why did they stop? 1,552,000 for family reasons, illness, injury, school, transportation problems, etc. Only 682,000 say they gave up due to discouragement.

My work is strictly seasonal, so there are periods when I'm buzzing my ass off and other periods when I don't expect to work (which I make creative use of of course). Am I being counted as "discouraged" in my off seasons?

:dunno:

Hard to say when nobody knows what the frickin' methodology is.

My work is strictly seasonal, so there are periods when I'm buzzing my ass off and other periods when I don't expect to work (which I make creative use of of course). Am I being counted as "discouraged" in my off seasons?

For you it might change frequently, but for the week of January 11-17, Did you want a job, could you have started a job that week, did you look for work between December 21 and January 17? If yes to all so far, you would be Unemployed for January. If no to the first two, you would be Not in the Labor Force. If yes for first two, no for job search....did you look for work anytime since January 2014? If yes, you'd be Marginally Attached. If you stopped looking because you couldn't find work or didn't think you'd be hired, or face discrimination, then you'd be discouraged.

For you it might change frequently, but for the week of January 11-17, Did you want a job, could you have started a job that week, did you look for work between December 21 and January 17? If yes to all so far, you would be Unemployed for January. If no to the first two, you would be Not in the Labor Force. If yes for first two, no for job search....did you look for work anytime since January 2014? If yes, you'd be Marginally Attached. If you stopped looking because you couldn't find work or didn't think you'd be hired, or face discrimination, then you'd be discouraged.

For those particular week and that particular month, I neither sought, expected nor needed work. The system may be assuming those, but it's not how I work. So if it is counting me as "discouraged" it's off already.

Then there's jobs like schoolteachers, who get a couple of months off. During those months they're certainly working less than 30 hours a week...

There you have it folks. Put the baby boomer in the pipe and smoke it

-Geaux
----------
Jim Clifton, the Chairman and CEO of Gallup, says that the percentage of Americans that are employed full-time has been hovering near record lows since the end of the last recession. But most Americans don’t realize this because the official unemployment numbers are extremely misleading. In fact, Clifton says that the official 5.6 percent unemployment rate is a “big lie”. Gallup regularly tracks the percentage of U.S. adults that are employed for 30 or more hours per week, and it is currently at 44.2 percent. It has been hovering between 42 percent and 45 percent since the end of 2009. This is extremely low. As I discussed the other day, there are 8.69 million Americans that are considered to be “officially unemployed” at this point. But there are another 92.90 million Americans that are considered to be “not in the labor force”. Millions upon millions of those Americans would work if they could. Overall, there are 101 million U.S. adults that do not have a job right now. But you won’t hear that number being discussed by the mainstream media, because it would make Barack Obama look really bad.

Only 44 Of U.S. Adults Are Employed For 30-Or-More Hours Per Week Zero Hedge
they are all living off mexican or chinese labor so they don't really have a job per say. they just invest in other peoples output and give the peasants some bread in return. he maketh me to lie down in green pastures. who said we had to do so much work anyway? your masters? let's play a bit more. too much work makes you all a dull boy. let's go door to door and see where all the money comes from and goes too. wanna judge those that judge our worth? let's start with the sit at home waltons wallmarting the world to death

It's a self-paradox though. Like "if sour cream goes bad -- how can you tell?"

You have to tests that are readily available:

1. Are wages increasing? Higher wages usually occur when labor supply is low. We are just beginning to see that in this month's figures, so I'd say we are still under employed by a large percentage.

2. How many folks you know who are still unemployed, but of working age? I still know a fair number here.

There you have it folks. Put the baby boomer in the pipe and smoke it

-Geaux
----------
Jim Clifton, the Chairman and CEO of Gallup, says that the percentage of Americans that are employed full-time has been hovering near record lows since the end of the last recession. But most Americans don’t realize this because the official unemployment numbers are extremely misleading. In fact, Clifton says that the official 5.6 percent unemployment rate is a “big lie”. Gallup regularly tracks the percentage of U.S. adults that are employed for 30 or more hours per week, and it is currently at 44.2 percent. It has been hovering between 42 percent and 45 percent since the end of 2009. This is extremely low. As I discussed the other day, there are 8.69 million Americans that are considered to be “officially unemployed” at this point. But there are another 92.90 million Americans that are considered to be “not in the labor force”. Millions upon millions of those Americans would work if they could. Overall, there are 101 million U.S. adults that do not have a job right now. But you won’t hear that number being discussed by the mainstream media, because it would make Barack Obama look really bad.

Only 44 Of U.S. Adults Are Employed For 30-Or-More Hours Per Week Zero Hedge
they are all living off mexican or chinese labor so they don't really have a job per say. they just invest in other peoples output and give the peasants some bread in return. he maketh me to lie down in green pastures. who said we had to do so much work anyway? your masters? let's play a bit more. too much work makes you all a dull boy. let's go door to door and see where all the money comes from and goes too. wanna judge those that judge our worth? let's start with the sit at home waltons wallmarting the world to death

A fine point. We work way more than we did as hunter/gatherers.

Last edited:
All we have to do is sit back and watch the secular progressives make America, from sea to sea.....

look like Detroit

-Geaux

All we have to do is sit back and watch the secular progressives make America, from sea to sea.....

look like Detroit

-Geaux

We got 2 years to do it then we actually do what Governement is supposed to do by passing bills to fix problems that the last administrations created.

New Topics

Forum List

Back